News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kobe Bryant killed in Helicopter crash with daughter

Started by jeffandnicole, January 26, 2020, 04:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

nexus73

Kobe worked hard at crafting his basketball skills to be as good as he could be.  Such a shame to see his life end so tragically and suddenly. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

thspfc

When I think of Kobe Bryant, I think "winner". There's only a few people who I can say that about. Tom Brady and Sir Alex Ferguson also come to mind.

Big John

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ozarkman417

I associate Kobe with getting a grenade kill in Counter-Strike.

Quote from: thspfc on January 26, 2020, 08:21:13 PM
When I think of Kobe Bryant, I think "winner". There's only a few people who I can say that about. Tom Brady and Sir Alex Ferguson also come to mind.
I've been associating Patrick Mahomes with that word more recently, being the Chiefs fan I am.   

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on January 26, 2020, 08:32:53 PM
He had controversies during his career including accusations of sexual assault. https://www.businessinsider.com/kobe-bryant-nba-career-controversies-off-the-court-2020-1
This is the most classless thing I've ever seen on this forum. The man just died abruptly in an accident that he had no control over. And you come in to this thread and post that. Yikes.

bing101

Yes I remember back then when Kobe Bryant was big in the early 2000's the Western Conference had a big rivalry between NorCal Vs SoCal. In the Early 2000's that meant Sacramento Kings vs. the LA Lakers in the Playoffs back then.

bing101

https://ktla.com/2020/01/26/o-c-college-baseball-coach-his-daughter-and-wife-among-9-killed-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash/

In this report the article mentioned that a college baseball coach from Orange County was also killed in the Helicopter Crash that  Kobe Bryant was in.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am not much of a sports watcher, but I do find it disrespectful of the media outlets not waiting for confirmation/identification from the LA County Sheriff Department. I would be very mad that other people knew of a death before I was even aware.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

PHLBOS

Given that he was a Philly native & attended/graduated from Lower Merion High School, a Main Line suburb west of the city; there was always a bit of a love-hate relationship with him with respect to Philadelphia sports fans.  They loved him for his playing abilities & talent, as they should; but always hated the fact that he played for the Lakers, which beat the 76ers in the 2001 Championship series.  They viewed him as somewhat of a turncoat when he first signed on with the Lakers.

As a result of the Lakers winning that championship; he was actually booed by the Philadelphia audience a few times for the next two(?) seasons whenever he made a game appearance in Philly wearing his Lakers uniform.  Nonetheless, despite those boos; he was still respected by Philly fans for his playing abilities even if it was as a formidable foe.

Sad day for sports fans; particularly those from LA & Philadelphia.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Just a sad day for sports fans, and what makes it even worse is that one of his daughters (Gianna) perished in the crash as well. Which is why you'll never see me get in any aircraft (especially helicopters). My condolences to the Bryant family, and to the NBA as a whole.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 27, 2020, 09:36:53 AM
Given that he was a Philly native & attended/graduated from Lower Merion High School, a Main Line suburb west of the city; there was always a bit of a love-hate relationship with him with respect to Philadelphia sports fans.  They loved him for his playing abilities & talent, as they should; but always hated the fact that he played for the Lakers, which beat the 76ers in the 2001 Championship series.  They viewed him as somewhat of a turncoat when he first signed on with the Lakers.

This is somewhat dumb. The 76ers had the first pick in the draft that year and could have chosen Bryant. Instead, they took Allen Iverson; at the time, it was hard to quibble with that selection. By the time the 76ers picked again in the second round, Bryant was gone (the Hornets took him 13th and traded him to the Lakers for Vlade Divac). I suppose he could have gone to college instead of signing with the Lakers, but really, if you decide to go pro straight out of high school and the Lakers, of all franchises, are the ones who want you, who wouldn't sign with them?!!!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

I dunno.  Lakers in the mid-1990s?  Pretty middlin'.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2020, 12:51:51 PM
I dunno.  Lakers in the mid-1990s?  Pretty middlin'.

Although you might recall they drafted Bryant right around the same time they signed Shaq (indeed they moved Divac largely to make cap room for Shaq). If I'd been going pro then, I'd certainly have liked the chance to be on Shaq's team, even if by all accounts the two of them later didn't get along.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

nexus73

The most recent news makes the crash sound like one where a pilot who was only good in VFR conditions wound up in IFR conditions.  This kind of deal has seen many lives lost including my sister's best friend and her new husband.  The crash site was not found for 7 years. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bing101

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28577888/nba-postpones-clippers-lakers-game-kobe-bryant-death
Update the Lakers Vs. Clippers game has been postponed due to Kobe Bryant's death. Not shocking given the situation the Lakers were in though.

Beltway

Probably no more complicated than CFIT resulting from improper transition from VFR to IMC.

The #1 killer in general aviation.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US 89

Quote from: nexus73 on January 27, 2020, 05:37:29 PM
The most recent news makes the crash sound like one where a pilot who was only good in VFR conditions wound up in IFR conditions. 

Based on what I'm seeing, this pilot was certified for IFR; the helicopter was operating under special visual flight rules (SVFR), which may only be requested by an instrument-rated pilot. SVRF allows a pilot to fly VFR in sub-VMC weather conditions as long as they stay out of clouds. However, it is worth noting that the weather conditions were poor enough that even LAPD had grounded their choppers for the morning.

Beltway

Quote from: US 89 on January 28, 2020, 12:27:59 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on January 27, 2020, 05:37:29 PM
The most recent news makes the crash sound like one where a pilot who was only good in VFR conditions wound up in IFR conditions. 
Based on what I'm seeing, this pilot was certified for IFR; the helicopter was operating under special visual flight rules (SVFR), which may only be requested by an instrument-rated pilot. SVRF allows a pilot to fly VFR in sub-VMC weather conditions as long as they stay out of clouds. However, it is worth noting that the weather conditions were poor enough that even LAPD had grounded their choppers for the morning.
Instrument Rating doesn't provide competency in and of itself, it takes repeated practice and experience in IMC to develop and maintain the skills.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.