News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 01, 2021, 03:47:07 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 31, 2021, 01:50:33 PM
It seems that all this would do is reduce player salaries and force them to endure work conditions that they might not like.

They could resign and become an air conditioner salesman like anyone else would have to do.

Of course, but I don't think that's enough to make it okay.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 01, 2021, 12:53:18 PM
It seems that all this would do is reduce player salaries and force them to endure work conditions that they might not like.

They could resign and become an air conditioner salesman like anyone else would have to do.

Well, that makes it okay, then.

Amusingly my Grandpa actually was offered a playing contract by the Detroit Tigers.  He turned them down to manage a lumber yard instead because it paid way more.  Hard to say he was wrong given it worked there for almost 40 years and retired with a kick ass pension.  Something like that is essentially unfathomable with modern professional sport salaries. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 12:56:25 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 01, 2021, 12:53:18 PM

Well, that makes it okay, then.

Amusingly my Grandpa actually was offered a playing contract by the Detroit Tigers.  He turned them down to manage a lumber yard instead because it paid way more.  Hard to say he was wrong given it worked there for almost 40 years and retired with a kick ass pension.  Something like that is essentially unfathomable with modern professional sport salaries. 

Someone else who was drafted by the Detroit Tigers--Patrick Mahomes. Yes, that's right, Detroit's baseball team has drafter more Super Bowl QBs than their football team.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 02:36:58 PM
That's fine, but it's not a reason why there should only be one team per state. Having two teams to choose from (especially if you don't live near either city) isn't a bad thing.

Why should people have to choose between supporting two different parts of their home state?

They don't have to, they get to. It's not a bad thing, especially in a state with millions of people that are separated by hundreds of miles.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 12:29:39 PM
I don't even think that I can come up with a better name for the Jazz that fits Salt Lake City.  Maybe for Utah on the whole but not really Salt Lake City. 

Just don't ask the people who chose the name of Wichita's new baseball team...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Today's unpopular opinion: WHY THE REDACTED are they still doing runner on 2nd in extra innings? Play the damn game!

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on April 01, 2021, 05:28:53 PM
Today's unpopular opinion: WHY THE REDACTED are they still doing runner on 2nd in extra innings? Play the damn game!

Is this a Yankees fan complaint after they got the 0-1 start due to it today?  :-D

Big John

Quote from: SectorZ on April 01, 2021, 06:40:23 PM

Is this a Yankees fan complaint after they got the 0-1 start due to it today?  :-D
Or the Twins.

gr8daynegb

I think that's a popular opinion with many.  If they are set on putting a runner on then put them at first and still make a team earn it.

Can thank the HR or bust nature of the game has taken from 90's until current day.  Miss watching a George Brett/Tony Gwynn/Wade Boggs AB from back in the day
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

gr8daynegb

Or as a Brewers fan watching a Robin Yount, Cecil Cooper, Paul Molitor AB
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

SectorZ

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 01, 2021, 06:52:11 PM

I think that's a popular opinion with many.  If they are set on putting a runner on then put them at first and still make a team earn it.

Can thank the HR or bust nature of the game has taken from 90's until current day.  Miss watching a George Brett/Tony Gwynn/Wade Boggs AB from back in the day

I miss those days as well. Growing up watching Boggs was a thing to behold. Now the Red Sox have a DH that whines that he can't hit anymore because he can't see video of his prior at bat. What a time to be a baseball fan...

JayhawkCO

I suppose this can be unpopular.  Most overrated sports stars:

MLB: Clayton Kershaw
NFL: Ezekiel Elliott
NBA: Kyrie Irving
NHL: Patrick Kane
World Soccer: Paul Pogba

Chris

CoreySamson

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 01, 2021, 09:06:24 PM

Chris
I pretty much agree, except I would put Neymar instead of Pogba for soccer.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 01, 2021, 09:11:38 PM

Chris
I pretty much agree, except I would put Neymar instead of Pogba for soccer.

Neymar is nasty when he's healthy, but he's up there just because of that history and his relative lack of production because he was hurt.

Chris

kenarmy

NASCAR
Underrated- MATT KENSETH, Aric Almirola, Ryan Newman, Greg Biffle, Jamie Mcmurray.
Overrated- Dale Jr, DANICA PATRICK (she was not the most impressive female in the sport..), Kyle Petty, Carl Edwards (!) etc.

And I think MJ and his new team is being overhyped.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Alps

Chris
Kershaw is not overrated compared to some. How about the new contract the Mets just handed to Lindor?

formulanone

Quote from: kenarmy on April 01, 2021, 11:49:06 PM
Overrated- ... DANICA PATRICK

I don't think there's any popular belief, past or present, which claimed she was "very good".

Maybe after she won her Indycar race (because that's when tongues wag the most about a driver), but that's about it.

Flint1979

I don't see how Patrick Kane is overrated either. As a Hawks fan that's seen him play a lot I think Kane is pretty good and not overrated.

SectorZ

Chris

As a Celtics fan I can concur with Irving.

For me, MLB would be Bryce Harper, NFL would be Matthew Stafford

tchafe1978

To me the starting a runner on 2nd in extra innings thing feels too much like little league or slow pitch softball, when you just want the game to be over already because you've got another game waiting to use the same field. Yay, I'm glad it benefitted my Brewers yesterday, but there will come a game at some point where it will go against them.

Also, speaking of rules that were tested out in last year's shortened season, I do agree with not making the DH permanent in the NL. I prefer the tradition of the pitcher batting for himself, and all the strategy that goes along with making a pitching change. Like sending up a pinch batter, moving position players around in the field, etc. You don't get all that with the DH in place. You just get 40 year old guys like Nelson Cruz still playing who otherwise wouldn't have a position anymore still going up to bat.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 02, 2021, 08:25:15 AM
I don't see how Patrick Kane is overrated either. As a Hawks fan that's seen him play a lot I think Kane is pretty good and not overrated.

Admittedly I don't follow hockey as closely as the other sports, but let me change my choice then.

Matt Duchene.  Met the guy, kind of a turd.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 02, 2021, 09:01:16 AM
To me the starting a runner on 2nd in extra innings thing feels too much like little league or slow pitch softball, when you just want the game to be over already because you've got another game waiting to use the same field. Yay, I'm glad it benefitted my Brewers yesterday, but there will come a game at some point where it will go against them.

Also, speaking of rules that were tested out in last year's shortened season, I do agree with not making the DH permanent in the NL. I prefer the tradition of the pitcher batting for himself, and all the strategy that goes along with making a pitching change. Like sending up a pinch batter, moving position players around in the field, etc. You don't get all that with the DH in place. You just get 40 year old guys like Nelson Cruz still playing who otherwise wouldn't have a position anymore still going up to bat.

No team wants to burn up their bullpen in a 15+ inning game. The runner on 2nd rule is designed to prevent that. I don't like it either, but I understand why it exists. I'd be fine with doing away with the runner on 2nd and calling the game a tie after 10 innings, but they're never going back to what it used to be.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

SPORTS, GENERALLY:
- Geographically illogical fans are irritating.
- Unions have no place in sports, unless the union is going to do what real unions do, which is collectively decide how much everyone makes.
- Trying to get people in other parts of the world to like other parts of the world's sports is futile and arrogant.  Be happy with your continent(s).

BASEBALL:
- Rob Manfried is an empty suit.
- People that think baseball lasts too long or needs rule changes don't like baseball.
- People that judge Latin players for expressing themselves are wrong.
- The vast over-claim map that has places "belonging" to as many as 6 teams is dumb, if a team cannot show real "home team" support on the ground the claims should be cancelled.
- Braves fans who grew up watching TBS outside the South are irritating.
- Cubs fans are in a cult.

FOOTBALL:
- The NFL is going to eventually go to the $$ well one too many times.
- Sunday Ticket is the most over-rated entertainment product there is.

BASKETBALL:
- The NBA is vastly less popular than ESPN tells you it is.
- The average NBA fan age is 12.

NASCAR:
- In an alternate universe where Brian France and his amen chorus of idiots refused to make the changes to the rules 2005-date, NASCAR is still as popular as it was, in fact more so. 

SOCCER:
- Soccer is the sport of the next generation, four generations and counting.

HOCKEY:
- Gary Bettman is the best commissioner in sports.
- The expansion of the NHL into "warm" states is the greatest, and most under appreciated, sports business move in my lifetime.

COLLEGE GENERALLY:
- If you did not go there, it is not "we", it is "they".
- If you did not go there and want to be a fan, fine.  But the quality of a college as an educational institution is not proportional to the quality of its sports teams, even among state colleges in the same state, and if you make snide comments about another college's academics, you are out of bounds.
- NIL will K I L L college sports.  It must be stopped.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL:
- Duke is the archetype of what is wrong with college sports.  Spoiled rich kids watching players perform for them, who would be arrested if they walked on campus if not on the ball team.
- Women's basketball is less popular because its less popular.  Stop interfering in the marketplace.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL:
- People that say there are too many bowl games need to buy a remote.  If two 7-5 teams play on a random Tuesday in December, you are not harmed.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SP Cook

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.