News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2023, 05:22:00 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:40:48 AM
Maybe there needs to be dashed lane lines through this intersection like this: https://goo.gl/maps/KyXzBPuLBMYD7HTAA

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2023, 12:05:55 PM
Quite amusing, since the one car in the intersection did not stay on the correct side of the line.

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 18, 2023, 12:55:36 PM
Which car, exactly?

That's the white car making the left turn from eastbound Highlands Pike onto northbound Madison Pike.  It is completely on the right side of the line, whereas it is supposed to stay left of the dashed line until it is beyond the intersection markings.  I highly suspect that both the red car and dark truck ahead of this white car also made the same maneuver and came across the line too soon.  [Sorry, I didn't notice a white car making a hard right turn from eastbound Highlands Pike, or the other dark pickup that has inched over the stop bar into the intersection].
Actually, the white car in the intersection is correctly making the left turn as there are two left turn lanes for both sides on Highland and one on NB Madison.  I know this wasn't an exact match to the intersection in Richmond but I was merely suggesting the presence of dashed lines to help facilitate the turns at the Richmond intersection.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on January 17, 2023, 06:44:23 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 16, 2023, 11:02:42 PM
Do the engineers who designed this intersection think this is Europe?  This is stuff one sees in foreign countries.
It's just a four way intersection with no turn lanes, it's pretty common. Unless you're referring to the original design with the monument in the middle.
No, this current design.  Maybe there needs to be dashed lane lines through this intersection like this: https://goo.gl/maps/KyXzBPuLBMYD7HTAA

But there are no double left turns at the Richmond intersection, and the only dashed lines in your example are all for double turns.

That said, dashed yellow lines to indicate the left edge of where traffic should be when turning left is more than logical, and I did propose as much in my rendering up-thread. I went a bit further with some sharks teeth and a white "no mans land" box in the middle, to keep turning traffic from interfering with each other. But I don't think it's too confusing.

sprjus4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2023, 05:22:00 PM
Maybe there needs to be dashed lane lines through this intersection like this: https://goo.gl/maps/KyXzBPuLBMYD7HTAA

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2023, 12:05:55 PM
Quite amusing, since the one car in the intersection did not stay on the correct side of the line.

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 18, 2023, 12:55:36 PM
Which car, exactly?

That's the white car making the left turn from eastbound Highlands Pike onto northbound Madison Pike.  It is completely on the right side of the line, whereas it is supposed to stay left of the dashed line until it is beyond the intersection markings.  I highly suspect that both the red car and dark truck ahead of this white car also made the same maneuver and came across the line too soon.  [Sorry, I didn't notice a white car making a hard right turn from eastbound Highlands Pike, or the other dark pickup that has inched over the stop bar into the intersection].
The white car in question was making a correct maneuver... it's a double left turn, and they were on the outside lane.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 18, 2023, 06:35:24 PM
The white car in question was making a correct maneuver... it's a double left turn, and they were on the outside lane.

Oops, you're right.  I looked at it four times and thought it was a single left turn.

Jmiles32

The FY2024 Round 5 Smart Scale Recommended Funding Scenario was just released along with screened-out project applications, individual project scorecards, and more: https://smartscale.org/current_projects/2024_docs.asp
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

Richmond council shares plans for "˜dangerous' intersection where AP Hill statue stood
Quote RICHMOND, Va. – The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are learning more about the plans Richmond city leaders have for the Northside intersection where the A.P. Hill statue once stood.

Earlier this month, we shared concerns from drivers and community members about the Hermitage Road and West Laburnum Avenue intersection following the removal of the city's last Confederate statue.

The city has since paved over the statue's place and painted pedestrian crossing lines. However, some drivers described the traffic as "a different kind of bad"  with or without the statue.

"There's still the idea of sort of a traffic circle happening. You still have the speed because of the big, unmarked pavement area in the middle,"  said Tara Fitzpatrick, Richmond Public Schools Safe Routes to Schools coordinator. "Just a lot of confusion happening out there."

Holton Elementary School borders the intersection where students and families walk to class.

On Friday, CBS 6 caught up with Richmond Councilmembers Katherine Jordan and Ann-Frances Lambert at the Northside intersection where their districts meet.

"We talked to DPW [Richmond Department of Public Works]. There was so much uncertainty about when the statue was actually going to be able to be removed, that – you can't tie up planning money when you don't know if you're about to be pushed off several years,"  said Jordan, who represents the city's 2nd voter district.

Family members of A.P. Hill fought the city for more than a year in court to prevent the statue's removal, but were unsuccessful.

DPW said a roundabout is the safest change for this intersection, however a 2009 ordinance prohibits a roundabout at this location.

Third voter district representative Lambert said she is introducing legislation to repeal the prohibition.

DPW said an intersection study is planned for summer or fall of this year. City council must also wait for the new fiscal year to begin, and it will take six months to a year for construction to actually start, according to Lambert.

"We're excited that this has actually, finally happened and that we've removed the statues in the most dangerous intersection here in the city. So now it's all about analysis, making sure that the data lets us know that we need to possibly look at other options here,"  she explained.

DPW crews were also spotted repainting lanes near the intersection on Friday. A DPW spokesperson said they're considering prohibiting turns beyond the peak periods.

Jordan and Lambert also highlighted the two projects that are associated with this intersection that they said requires their own funding sources.

The potential roundabout project is also tied to a separate lane widening project.

"Commuters are getting used to the new intersection. Part of its education and part of its further analysis, but the city is not done here. The work continues,"  Jordan stated.

plain

I don't think a roundabout is the answer here, especially if it's going to be a single lane one (like Richmond loves to install). Too much traffic on Laburnum Ave for that.
Newark born, Richmond bred

FLAVORTOWN

I thought this was interesting but apparently VDOT fixed up the VA-237 near Clarendon. It was on a wooden post now its on a steel post. I could have sworn the sign was missing when I walked by a few years ago as well  :confused:

Not sure why they're putting resources in a road they no longer maintain ... unless it was Arlington that did it? It may be a minor detail but thought was interesting nontheless.

This was amusing, looks like VDOT messed up a sign here. Anyone notice whats wrong https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8176674,-77.6378112,3a,75y,334.04h,88.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAz6IttqvPliX0rPUURQbBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192  :-D

sprjus4

One row of text is still normal  :-o

1995hoo

That "Heathcote Blvd" sign is, shall we say, peculiar.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on January 27, 2023, 05:01:27 PM
This was amusing, looks like VDOT messed up a sign here. Anyone notice whats wrong https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8176674,-77.6378112,3a,75y,334.04h,88.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAz6IttqvPliX0rPUURQbBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192  :-D

VDOT pulled a cute one here.  Left-justified ordinal for the left turn onto US-15 southbound (uncommon, but makes sense); right-justified ordinal for the right turn onto US-15 northbound (make sense); plus the Left-justified ordinal of the upcoming left lane maneuver heading west on Heathcote (very rare, but perhaps logical in this instance).  So given all of those precedents, the glaring mistake is that the ordinal for westbound VA-55 should have been right justified (which would look very weird beneath the opposite arrangement).  All of which should remind us, don't get so bogged down in the rules such that common sense prevails.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 28, 2023, 08:30:49 AM
That "Heathcote Blvd" sign is, shall we say, peculiar.

And, shall I add, "sloppy".

Thing 342

Perhaps a long shot, but does anyone know why I-64 Exit 262 is signed as 262B? I'm not aware of there having ever been plans for a 262A.

amroad17

Quote from: Thing 342 on February 01, 2023, 11:59:22 PM
Perhaps a long shot, but does anyone know why I-64 Exit 262 is signed as 262B? I'm not aware of there having ever been plans for a 262A.
This is just surmising, but maybe there was a proposal to have an exit ramp from I-64 EB to Todd's Lane.  The ramp would briefly merge with the VA 134 SB ramp then follow the current ramp to Todd's Lane.

Originally, when Virginia posted sequential exit numbers in the early 1980's, this was Exit 63.  Before that, I believe that this was Exit 8C as the sequential exit numbers started along Tidewater Drive in Norfolk and increased as one travelled west on I-64/VA 168 with the last posted exit number (10) at Jefferson Ave.  Exits west of that point were unnumbered.  Mercury Blvd. (US 258) was Exits 8A and 8B with J. Clyde Morris Blvd. (US 17) as Exit 9.  When Virginia changed to mile based exit numbers in 1991, this exit became Exit 262B for some reason.  That is why I think that there may at one time been a proposal, that did not come to fruition, to have an Exit 262A to Todd's Lane on I-64 EB.

Mapmikey

Quote from: amroad17 on February 02, 2023, 06:42:26 AM
This is just surmising, but maybe there was a proposal to have an exit ramp from I-64 EB to Todd's Lane.  The ramp would briefly merge with the VA 134 SB ramp then follow the current ramp to Todd's Lane.

Originally, when Virginia posted sequential exit numbers in the early 1980's, this was Exit 63.  Before that, I believe that this was Exit 8C as the sequential exit numbers started along Tidewater Drive in Norfolk and increased as one travelled west on I-64/VA 168 with the last posted exit number (10) at Jefferson Ave.  Exits west of that point were unnumbered.  Mercury Blvd. (US 258) was Exits 8A and 8B with J. Clyde Morris Blvd. (US 17) as Exit 9.  When Virginia changed to mile based exit numbers in 1991, this exit became Exit 262B for some reason.  That is why I think that there may at one time been a proposal, that did not come to fruition, to have an Exit 262A to Todd's Lane on I-64 EB.

There has never been room for a ramp from I-64 EB to connect to the Todd Ln ramp even back to 1963.  But even if there was, that wouldn't require the exit numbers to be 262A-B since there is only one off-ramp in each direction.  You would need 2 off-ramps from the same direction of I-64.

A similar situation exists at VA 190 in Chesapeake (only one off-ramp total) and it is Exit 292 with Exit 291A-B very close by.

Even with nearby Exit 296, one direction has two off-ramps (296A-B) and the other only has one (296).

amroad17

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 02, 2023, 10:00:13 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on February 02, 2023, 06:42:26 AM

There has never been room for a ramp from I-64 EB to connect to the Todd Ln ramp even back to 1963.  But even if there was, that wouldn't require the exit numbers to be 262A-B since there is only one off-ramp in each direction.  You would need 2 off-ramps from the same direction of I-64.

A similar situation exists at VA 190 in Chesapeake (only one off-ramp total) and it is Exit 292 with Exit 291A-B very close by.

Even with nearby Exit 296, one direction has two off-ramps (296A-B) and the other only has one (296).
That's true.  It is probably "one of those things"  as to why Exit 262B is signed that way.

jmacswimmer

^

No idea if this is actually the reason or not, but my thought on the exit 262B situation whenever I drive by there is to "match up" (for lack of a better term) with exits 261A-B for Hampton Roads Center Parkway, as westbound there is only exit 261A for the parkway westbound and exit 262B is what you take to reach the parkway eastbound.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

FLAVORTOWN

1995hoo

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on February 07, 2023, 05:21:06 PM
Another sign goof up https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8838301,-77.1555359,3a,75y,0.04h,81.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqCiATNpD9KaKMpOS9eXL-A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Apparently Sycamore St is I-66  :pan: someone get an arrow sign on there...

There used to be a right-pointing arrow. Click back to 2017. That'll also clarify the odd-looking metal post in the median.

WillWeaverRVA

After doing some more looking around on VDOT's ArcGIS map, I'm a bit confused about something.

Google Maps and VDOT's Dickenson County traffic logs (which are known for their unreliability) show VA 80 as transitioning to KY 80 at the state line near Breaks Interstate Park, which is what the VA Hwys Project and Wikipedia both say.

The VDOT ArcGIS map routes VA 80 onto SR 693 (Breaks Park Rd), ending at an orphaned segment of US 460 connecting to the new expressway alignment of US 460 being built in Kentucky, rather than at the state line. That segment is actually labeled as part of US 460 along with the existing US 460 that enters Kentucky in Buchanan County. This results in a discontinuous VA/KY 80. The portion of VA 80 that runs from Breaks Interstate Park to the state line is labeled as an extended SR 768.

The strange thing is I can't find out when (or if, for that matter) this happened. I don't see anything in the CTB archives that suggests a rerouting was approved.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 10, 2023, 12:30:41 PM
After doing some more looking around on VDOT's ArcGIS map, I'm a bit confused about something.

Google Maps and VDOT's Dickenson County traffic logs (which are known for their unreliability) show VA 80 as transitioning to KY 80 at the state line near Breaks Interstate Park, which is what the VA Hwys Project and Wikipedia both say.

The VDOT ArcGIS map routes VA 80 onto SR 693 (Breaks Park Rd), ending at an orphaned segment of US 460 connecting to the new expressway alignment of US 460 being built in Kentucky, rather than at the state line. That segment is actually labeled as part of US 460 along with the existing US 460 that enters Kentucky in Buchanan County. This results in a discontinuous VA/KY 80. The portion of VA 80 that runs from Breaks Interstate Park to the state line is labeled as an extended SR 768.

The strange thing is I can't find out when (or if, for that matter) this happened. I don't see anything in the CTB archives that suggests a rerouting was approved.

Having driven through here a number of times while the construction was ongoing, perhaps I can give some insight.

Coming from Kentucky, VA 80 climbed a slight hill just prior to where the new bridge crosses the road as shown now, and the grade ended up on where the connector is. When work started on the bridge, VA 80 was signed with a detour along the secondary route that goes through the community of Breaks, then tied into SR 609, turned right, then left onto the previous alignment of VA 80 going toward the main entrance to the park and Haysi. You can see evidence of this on satellite view.

The connector road shown on Google Maps as SR 693 is signed as US 460.

Part of this may hinge on how Kentucky signs the old route once the new Corridor Q link between Elkhorn City and Marrowbone is completed. Currently, the new route is signed as two discontinuous segments of KY 3174. US 460/KY 80 remain signed on the old route from Shelbiana (the split from US 23/119) to Belcher, where KY 80 continues to Elkhorn City and US 460 runs along its current alignment to Mouthcard and on to Grundy.

If Kentucky puts US 460 and KY 80 on the new Corridor Q routing, then it would be logical for VA 80 to run along the new connector. However, if Kentucky keeps KY 80 on the old road, and Virginia routes VA 80 on the new connector from Breaks to the four-lane, the route will no longer be a multi-state route.

The Virginia map may be predicated on anticipation that Kentucky will sign both US 460 and KY 80 on the completed Corridor Q.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on February 10, 2023, 02:15:29 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 10, 2023, 12:30:41 PM

Having driven through here a number of times while the construction was ongoing, perhaps I can give some insight.

Coming from Kentucky, VA 80 climbed a slight hill just prior to where the new bridge crosses the road as shown now, and the grade ended up on where the connector is. When work started on the bridge, VA 80 was signed with a detour along the secondary route that goes through the community of Breaks, then tied into SR 609, turned right, then left onto the previous alignment of VA 80 going toward the main entrance to the park and Haysi. You can see evidence of this on satellite view.

The connector road shown on Google Maps as SR 693 is signed as US 460.

Part of this may hinge on how Kentucky signs the old route once the new Corridor Q link between Elkhorn City and Marrowbone is completed. Currently, the new route is signed as two discontinuous segments of KY 3174. US 460/KY 80 remain signed on the old route from Shelbiana (the split from US 23/119) to Belcher, where KY 80 continues to Elkhorn City and US 460 runs along its current alignment to Mouthcard and on to Grundy.

If Kentucky puts US 460 and KY 80 on the new Corridor Q routing, then it would be logical for VA 80 to run along the new connector. However, if Kentucky keeps KY 80 on the old road, and Virginia routes VA 80 on the new connector from Breaks to the four-lane, the route will no longer be a multi-state route.

The Virginia map may be predicated on anticipation that Kentucky will sign both US 460 and KY 80 on the completed Corridor Q.

Okay, reading that makes it make a lot more sense, thanks.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

FLAVORTOWN

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2023, 05:32:07 PM
Another sign goof up https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8838301,-77.1555359,3a,75y,0.04h,81.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqCiATNpD9KaKMpOS9eXL-A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There used to be a right-pointing arrow. Click back to 2017. That'll also clarify the odd-looking metal post in the median.

Does VDOT have a "report a problem" form that can be filled out online? Cant hurt to report it and see what happens

1995hoo

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on February 11, 2023, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2023, 05:32:07 PM

Does VDOT have a "report a problem" form that can be filled out online? Cant hurt to report it and see what happens

Yes.  Go to Virginiadot.org and use the "report a road problem" link. I don't know whether an Interstate trailblazer on a surface street is their responsibility or the county's, but if it's not theirs, they'll respond with an e-mail saying so. I reported a misspelled sign once and they e-mailed to say it was Fairfax County's sign.

bluecountry

Is it me or would I-64 have been I-60 if not for the US-60 conflict?

74/171FAN

Quote from: bluecountry on February 12, 2023, 12:56:25 PM
Is it me or would I-64 have been I-60 if not for the US-60 conflict?

There were never plans for an I-50 or an I-60 due to the potential conflicts with US 50 and US 60.  So it is probably just you.   :nod:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.