News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When will this heat STOP?!

Started by snowc, September 15, 2021, 04:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Texas this year enjoyed a below-normal summer for once. We had about a week of our usual 100s and that was it. July was unusually rainy and so was August. Our first real fall cold front arrives Tuesday with lows in the low 50s.

Max Rockatansky

Has the Icon of Sin sucked Harnett County into the 6th Circle of Hell yet?

Scott5114

Well, I'm really jonesing for that cold front now. My AC has been out since Saturday (blower still runs but the air coming out is only a couple degrees cooler than ambient air temperature so it does jack shit).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ozarkman417

Answer (for me): roughly 24 hours. A strong cold front is expected to bring temperatures down a whopping 20 degrees. 91 to 71.

paulthemapguy

It's been stupid-warm this September here too.  The wife and I went to the pool yesterday as temperatures sat in the upper 80s...I think somewhere in the lower 70s is expected for this time of year.  The pattern of far-above-average temperatures isn't supposed to break for the next two weeks, either.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Roadgeekteen

Today it was cool, barely 60. But back up to near 70 this weekend.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jgb191

The heat stopped here on the last day of summer.  Since the start of the fall season, we've have not had any hot weather -- only low-mid 90s, so the heat has really toned way down from the 100-105 degrees a couple weeks ago.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Bruce

"Not had any hot weather"

"only low-mid 90s"

Does not compute.

---

In Seattle, we've been staying a bit too warm (in the mid to high 60s generally) for fall. Still waiting on the permanent gray to set in for the next few months, with more comfortable highs in the 50s.

Max Rockatansky

It's supposed to be 68F in Fresno.  Apparently the same weather front might bring rain and snow to higher elevations.  That potentially could be good news given the KNP Fire has gotten out of control the last couple days.

jgb191

Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2021, 01:57:51 AMDoes not compute.

For those of us who are from South Texas, it actually does make perfect sense.  Temperatures in the 90s are nothing unusual to start the month of October (and for any day in October for that matter); in fact places like Laredo and McAllen average 91-93 highs at the beginning of the month.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

7/8

The Weather Channel is predicting that Moosonee, ON will be warmer than Tijuana, Mexico this weekend!
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/hudson-bay-is-warmer-than-mexico-this-thanksgiving-weekend

In Kitchener, the highest temp for the longest weekend is forecasted to be a summer-like 24 C/75 F on Monday.

Roadgeekteen

The leaves are changing colors that much here in Western MA. The heat has something to do with that.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 20, 2021, 12:11:57 AM
Answer (for me): roughly 24 hours. A strong cold front is expected to bring temperatures down a whopping 20 degrees. 91 to 71.
This didn't age well. Springfield's Saturday weather is forecasted to be 90, two degrees away from that day's record high set in 1980.

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 07, 2021, 04:03:54 PM
The leaves are changing colors that much here in Western MA. The heat has something to do with that.

Are or aren't? Ours are changing earlier than normal and are much duller due to the ongoing drought here
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rothman

Quote from: ET21 on October 11, 2021, 10:39:41 AM

Are or aren't? Ours are changing earlier than normal and are much duller due to the ongoing drought here
I am in the Pioneer Valley right now and the leaves are behind in changing this year.  Less vibrant than other years, too.  Coming up on peak right now, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ET21

Quote from: Rothman on October 11, 2021, 11:37:39 AM
Quote from: ET21 on October 11, 2021, 10:39:41 AM

I am in the Pioneer Valley right now and the leaves are behind in changing this year.  Less vibrant than other years, too.  Coming up on peak right now, though.

Yeah our peak is supposed to be this week and everything just looks dull. Maybe after this weekend with cooler temperatures things will begin to pop.

Clinched:

CoreySamson

Meanwhile, here in Houston the high temperature for Friday is forecast to be 90 degrees. snowc would not like living down here.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Bruce

Meanwhile in Seattle: morning low of 36F (a new daily record) and highs not budging from the 50s. It's good, but I'd rather have clear skies for the aurora.

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1448006735008911360

ET21

Depends on the location, like for us above average in the 60th-70th percentile is the upper 60s/lower 70s. All depends on your local area's average high for those dates.

Clinched:

Road Hog

It has been an unusually warm fall in the Southwest. I normally have to kick on the furnace by Dec. 1, and some years by Nov. 1. This year, it's 2 weeks before Christmas and we've barely had a morning frost yet. I think it's approached freezing a couple of times, but I still have a lot of green in my lawn and a lot of neighborhood leaves are still green.

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on December 12, 2021, 05:36:32 PM
It has been an unusually warm fall in the Southwest. I normally have to kick on the furnace by Dec. 1, and some years by Nov. 1. This year, it's 2 weeks before Christmas and we've barely had a morning frost yet. I think it's approached freezing a couple of times, but I still have a lot of green in my lawn and a lot of neighborhood leaves are still green.

Indeed, and I'm getting somewhat annoyed with it, as my bedroom and office both face south. With the warm temperatures outside, and the sun shining in the windows, both rooms reach 80° in the mid-afternoon. Yet running the A/C isn't a solution, since the north and central parts of the house are nice and cool, and guess where the thermostat is? If it were cooler outside, I could at least open the window, but the temperature difference isn't enough for that to be useful.

More concerning is the lack of rain we've been having. That, plus the dormant grasses and the high winds we've been having, mean wildfires are an increasingly big concern.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tolbs17

When we move to electric cars, vehicles, and cut back on industrial factories that make all the pollution...

snowc

as we got heat previously, a front came FINALLY on the 3rd, and brought SNOW! and wind.  ;-)

snowc

For the first time since September, highs are gonna be in the 80s!  :colorful:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.