News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on March 31, 2022, 01:41:28 PM
As a reminder: The general schedule for the World Cup will have matches between 2 am and 1 pm Pacific / 5 am and 4 pm Eastern. Not going to be an easy time for those of us who aren't morning people.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2022-world-cup-schedule-dates-and-times-in-usa-and-canada
But not so bad for those of us in the right time zone.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on March 31, 2022, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 31, 2022, 01:41:28 PM
As a reminder: The general schedule for the World Cup will have matches between 2 am and 1 pm Pacific / 5 am and 4 pm Eastern. Not going to be an easy time for those of us who aren't morning people.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2022-world-cup-schedule-dates-and-times-in-usa-and-canada
But not so bad for those of us in the right time zone.

I was told recently that East Coasters want permanent DST because they regularly sleep past 8am, so this will be rough for them too
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

US has drawn into group B, headed by England. The US-England game will be on Friday 11/25 (day after Thanksgiving). Other two games will be Monday 11/21 against Wales/Scotland/Ukraine and Tuesday 11/29 against Iran.

thspfc

Tough draw for the US, but also pretty funny that there will be several Group B matches with some, uh, history. US/England, US/Iran, potentially England/Scotland, England/Wales, or Ukraine ends up in a group with two major NATO countries. We're no doubt the second best team in the group, but there won't be any easy wins.

Saudi Arabia is going to be a punching bag. Oh no, so sad.

Bruce

Iran might be a better team than you'd expect.

Canada got a fairly difficult draw, but even if they do escape to the knockout rounds they'll have to play a team from the Group of Death.

JayhawkCO

My guess for advancing teams in bold.

Group A
Qatar
Ecuador
Netherlands
Senegal

Group B
England
United States

Iran
Ukraine/Scotland/Wales

Group C
Argentina
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D
France
UAE/Australia/Peru
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E
Spain
Costa Rica/New Zealand
Germany
Japan

Group F
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea

Not too many upsets. It seems like other than group A, C, & H there are two teams clearly better than the others.

thspfc

I'll save my official picks for when the 32 teams are set.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on April 01, 2022, 02:35:15 PM
I'll save my official picks for when the 32 teams are set.

I obviously reserve the right to change if there are injuries, etc., but I don't think I'll pick any of the play-in teams. Maybe an inspired Ukraine side would be bad for us?

NWI_Irish96

A1 Netherlands B2 England
C1 Argentina D2 Denmark
E1 Germany F2 Canada
G1 Brazil H2 Portugal
B1 USA A2 Qatar
D1 France C2 Mexico
F1 Belgium E2 Spain
H1 Uruguay G2 Switzerland

England
Argentina
Germany
Brazil
USA
France
Belgium
Uruguay

Argentina
Brazil
France
Belgium

Argentina
France

France

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on April 01, 2022, 01:31:53 PM
Tough draw for the US, but also pretty funny that there will be several Group B matches with some, uh, history. US/England, US/Iran, potentially England/Scotland, England/Wales, or Ukraine ends up in a group with two major NATO countries. We're no doubt the second best team in the group, but there won't be any easy wins.

Saudi Arabia is going to be a punching bag. Oh no, so sad.
It may affect my outlook if Wales makes it with Gareth Bale. USA could end up third for fun

NWI_Irish96

Game times have been assigned for all matches. Here is the full US schedule (times EST):

Monday 11/21: USA vs Wales/Ukraine/Scotland 2:00 p.m.
Friday 11/25: England vs USA 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday 11/29: Iran vs USA 2:00 p.m.

The US and Ecuador from group A are the only Western Hemisphere teams playing on those days, and with the US having by far the larger TV audience it's no surprise the US got the latest time slot each day.

If the US advances as group B runners-up, they will play the Group A winners on Saturday 12/3 at 10:00 a.m.

If the US advances as group B winners, they will play the Group A runners-up on Sunday 12/4 at 2:00 p.m.

In either path, a potential quarterfinal would be on Friday 12/9.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 02, 2022, 09:09:59 AM

That day, of course, is Black Friday - a day when there are usually several nationally televised college football games in the 3:30 Eastern (2:30 Central) time slot. The competition for TV audiences will be intense...

Or maybe this year, the college football games that would usually be played on Black Friday will take place on the Saturday instead. What do you think?

Alps

Quote from: KCRoadFan on April 03, 2022, 01:26:54 AM

That day, of course, is Black Friday - a day when there are usually several nationally televised college football games in the 3:30 Eastern (2:30 Central) time slot. The competition for TV audiences will be intense...

Or maybe this year, the college football games that would usually be played on Black Friday will take place on the Saturday instead. What do you think?
With a 2 pm start, football could push back to 4:30

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2022, 02:01:28 AM

FOX obviously needs to push their games back as they are broadcasting the World Cup, but I doubt ESPN/ABC or CBS alter their schedules at all.

NWI_Irish96

Ukraine just defeated Scotland 3-1 to advance to a match Sunday against Wales, with that winner joining the US, England and Iran in Group B.

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 01, 2022, 04:44:17 PM
Ukraine just defeated Scotland 3-1 to advance to a match Sunday against Wales, with that winner joining the US, England and Iran in Group B.
Imagine the scenes of angry Europeans on Twitter if the US beats Ukraine. Because we can't manage to separate sports and politics for one month.

brad2971

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 03, 2022, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2022, 02:01:28 AM

FOX obviously needs to push their games back as they are broadcasting the World Cup, but I doubt ESPN/ABC or CBS alter their schedules at all.

FOX often broadcasts Big10 games such as Iowa vs Nebraska on Black Friday. This year, the Huskers schedule says its on BTN instead of the local FOX station. Keep in mind, FOX often broadcasts Pac-12 games in the later Black Friday afternoon timeslot, so that 430PM EST time would be ok for them.

brad2971

How FOX positions those World Cup games this year...will be rather interesting. Then again, FIFA was nice enough to give FOX the US/Canada/Mexico hosted 2026 World Cup (with 48 teams instead of 32) because of this year's scheduling issue. Little did they know that when they granted the rights extension in 2015, they would be letting FOX and Telemundo broadcast 16 extra games and pay essentially nothing for it.

stlukeyo7

cool to see argentina see off italy so easily last night. biggest surprise is another clean sheet. good to see dybala back involved aswell.

NWI_Irish96

There were several shaky moments on defense that required Matt Turner to work harder than anybody wanted, but the offense looked better than it has in a long time with two absolutely fantastic goals plus a penalty in the US 3-0 friendly win over Morocco, who is no slouch at #24 in the FIFA rankings. #13 Uruguay is up Sunday, later in the day after the historic Wales-Ukraine match.

NWI_Irish96

Wales ended Ukraine's emotional story with a 1-0 win today. Wales will join the US, Iran and England in Group B.

US with a scoreless draw against Uruguay, three days after Uruguay stomped Mexico 3-0.

stlukeyo7

that was a big win for argentina against italy. messi was all over the pitch and resembled his old self but with pressing.

JayhawkCO

The last two World Cup spots will be clinched in the next few days:

Australia will play Peru and Costa Rica will play New Zealand.

I'll take both the Spanish speaking countries.

ET21

Oh wow the World Cup isn't until November, just noticed that  :spin:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 89

Quote from: ET21 on June 13, 2022, 03:26:01 PM
Oh wow the World Cup isn't until November, just noticed that  :spin:

You can thank Qatar for buying all the FIFA higher ups. The corruption in that organization is amazing.  :-|

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.