News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fans that live outside the sports markets

Started by jgb191, May 12, 2022, 04:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: skluth on May 22, 2022, 01:29:41 PM
Fan bases of most teams have web sites where you can follow your favorite team in other markets. As a Packers fan I can choose this site or this one or this one. I can visit several Packers bars in Chicago alone. Steelers, Cowboys, Browns, Raiders, and Bears fans also have home bars in quite a few cities in my experience. (So do the other NFL teams, but those teams seem to have the most scattered fans.) I'm sure many universities and other sports teams also have sites to find like-minded fans in unfamiliar cities, but it's not something I follow.
I found a Bears bar out in Vegas (it is off the strip). I just googled places to get a good burger off the strip, went in, and the place was decked out with Bears gear. Talked to the bartender, and the owner is from Chicago and a big Bears fan.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 22, 2022, 01:49:13 PM
Fan bases of most teams have web sites where you can follow your favorite team in other markets. As a Packers fan I can choose this site or this one or this one. I can visit several Packers bars in Chicago alone. Steelers, Cowboys, Browns, Raiders, and Bears fans also have home bars in quite a few cities in my experience. (So do the other NFL teams, but those teams seem to have the most scattered fans.) I'm sure many universities and other sports teams also have sites to find like-minded fans in unfamiliar cities, but it's not something I follow.
I found a Bears bar out in Vegas (it is off the strip). I just googled places to get a good burger off the strip, went in, and the place was decked out with Bears gear. Talked to the bartender, and the owner is from Chicago and a big Bears fan.

There's a few Eagles bars up in NYC. We used to hit one every year, stay over Sunday night, and do something Monday.

Flint1979

Quote from: SectorZ on May 22, 2022, 10:14:46 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 17, 2022, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: Sctvhound on May 17, 2022, 03:05:55 PM
Charleston is about as free agent of a market as there is on the East Coast.

Other than South Carolina and Clemson football and baseball there is no plurality from any in-state team.

College sports (college football by far #1 here): Half and half between Clemson and South Carolina among those who follow. Bandwagoners flop depending on who is good. Georgia is #3, then Ohio State and Michigan. More OSU/Michigan fans than the 2 local schools, Citadel and Charleston Southern.

Really any of the B1G, SEC or ACC schools has a following here. Even Wisconsin has a bar here for watch parties.

College hoops is North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, then probably College of Charleston. UNC played at CofC this year and 1/3 of the arena rooted for UNC.

NFL: No plurality. I'd say Panthers are most popular but probably 15 teams have significant fan bases due to the military and transplants. Steelers and Cowboys are probably 2 and 3 with Falcons and Washington popular as well. Atlanta games are broadcast on radio.

MLB: Braves bandwagon got big here during World Series but they are definite #1 here and have been since they moved to Atlanta. Large Yankees and Red Sox fan bases as well. Have seen stuff from nearly every MLB team at local minor league games.

NHL: Mostly Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, Rangers fans. Canes in Raleigh probably #5 or so but growing. Local minor league team is Caps affiliate. Tons of transplants here and you see people from most of the American teams.

NBA: Probably below high school sports locally in popularity. People only follow during playoffs. Not many Hornets fans at all. LeBron and Shaq played a preseason game for the Cavs against the Bobcats a few years back, sold out 11,500 and 11,000 were there to see LeBron.

SM-G998U
There is a bar in Chicago called Duffy's that is a Michigan Wolverines bar.

I wish I could remember where in Boston it was, but there was a small bar that catered to Michigan. An alum that I was in training with found it traveling from Michigan to Worcester and was there over a few Saturdays during CFB season.
The two bars in Boston I can remember were Cask N' Flagon and McGreevy's. Cask N' Flagon was right next to Fenway and McGreevy's was right by the Prudential Center.

CtrlAltDel

I once stumbled into a White Sox bar in Paris. The owner was from there and his dream was to move to Paris and open a bar, which he did, although it has since closed.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 23, 2022, 12:51:54 AM

I once stumbled into a White Sox bar in Paris. The owner was from there and his dream was to move to Paris and open a bar, which he did, although it has since closed.

7:10 pm in Chicago is 2:10 am in Paris so how many baseball fans can you get to watch a game in a bar from 2-5 am?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 23, 2022, 07:11:35 AM

7:10 pm in Chicago is 2:10 am in Paris so how many baseball fans can you get to watch a game in a bar from 2-5 am?

That could explain why they closed.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Road Hog

Pro tip: When you search for audio streaming of games from outside of your area, try the small-market network stations first. They're the ones most likely to erroneously keep the stream up and not take it down due to licensing issues.

skluth

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 23, 2022, 01:37:27 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 23, 2022, 07:11:35 AM

That could explain why they closed.

He should have been a Cubs fan. They still have plenty of 1 PM day games, 8 PM in Paris.

jgb191

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 17, 2022, 03:19:11 PM
When I lived in Superior:

NBA: No one cares.

The Timberwolves??  I noticed that Minnesota is as passionate about their NBA team as any state as a whole I've noticed....no matter where in the state.

EDIT:  My apologies, I forgot that Superior is in Wisconsin and not in Minnesota.  I guess not the whole state of Wisconsin cared that the Milwaukee Bucks added another sports league title to the state twelve months ago?
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2022, 08:09:44 AM
The Central Valley of California (at least Bakersfield and Fresno) lean way more towards following the Los Angeles teams than the Bay Area.  I think a lot of that has to do with the Los Angeles teams having a more blue collar demographic appeal than the Bay Area teams do. 

Me personally, I've just stuck to the Detroit teams I followed as a kid no matter where I lived.  I see no reason to change my fandom because I moved somewhere different.

Sacramento sports fans lean more towards the Bay Area in MLB and NFL. Exception is the NBA given Kings are in the Sacramento.

Flint1979

Quote from: SectorZ on May 22, 2022, 10:14:46 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 17, 2022, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: Sctvhound on May 17, 2022, 03:05:55 PM
Charleston is about as free agent of a market as there is on the East Coast.

Other than South Carolina and Clemson football and baseball there is no plurality from any in-state team.

College sports (college football by far #1 here): Half and half between Clemson and South Carolina among those who follow. Bandwagoners flop depending on who is good. Georgia is #3, then Ohio State and Michigan. More OSU/Michigan fans than the 2 local schools, Citadel and Charleston Southern.

Really any of the B1G, SEC or ACC schools has a following here. Even Wisconsin has a bar here for watch parties.

College hoops is North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, then probably College of Charleston. UNC played at CofC this year and 1/3 of the arena rooted for UNC.

NFL: No plurality. I'd say Panthers are most popular but probably 15 teams have significant fan bases due to the military and transplants. Steelers and Cowboys are probably 2 and 3 with Falcons and Washington popular as well. Atlanta games are broadcast on radio.

MLB: Braves bandwagon got big here during World Series but they are definite #1 here and have been since they moved to Atlanta. Large Yankees and Red Sox fan bases as well. Have seen stuff from nearly every MLB team at local minor league games.

NHL: Mostly Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, Rangers fans. Canes in Raleigh probably #5 or so but growing. Local minor league team is Caps affiliate. Tons of transplants here and you see people from most of the American teams.

NBA: Probably below high school sports locally in popularity. People only follow during playoffs. Not many Hornets fans at all. LeBron and Shaq played a preseason game for the Cavs against the Bobcats a few years back, sold out 11,500 and 11,000 were there to see LeBron.

SM-G998U
There is a bar in Chicago called Duffy's that is a Michigan Wolverines bar.

I wish I could remember where in Boston it was, but there was a small bar that catered to Michigan. An alum that I was in training with found it traveling from Michigan to Worcester and was there over a few Saturdays during CFB season.
I know this is a couple years old but I think I might have found it, is it M.J. O'Connor's?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.