News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Doghouse Thread

Started by Lukeisroads, July 27, 2022, 03:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukeisroads

Any Of you Love doghouses Well Your In Luck Here's the best thread ever DogHouse Signals Are the best Post em down below and ill review em

Max Rockatansky

When are we going to get a thread about doghouses for actual dogs?

Scott5114

Quote from: Lukeisroads on July 27, 2022, 03:33:31 PM
Any Of you Love doghouses Well Your In Luck Here's the best thread ever DogHouse Signals Are the best Post em down below and ill review em

Maybe you should go first.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 27, 2022, 05:34:37 PM

Maybe you should go first.

Ask and you shall receive:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31886.0

wanderer2575

I think that might be an English-language message, but with the misspellings and lack of punctuation I'm not sure.  Cripes sake, buddy, at least make an effort.

davewiecking

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 27, 2022, 06:25:28 PM

I think that might be an English-language message, but with the misspellings and lack of punctuation I'm not sure.  Cripes sake, buddy, at least make an effort.

Translation:
The OP posits that Doghouse signals are an improvement on a 4 lamp column (with the 4th position being a green arrow). He wishes to provide his opinion on various specific doghouse signals of which you, the dear readers, might be aware.

This is the newest doghouse signal near me; it was installed last year when this intersection was rebuilt, eliminating 3-way stop signs. It has a dark backplate. When vehicles are present, the left turn arrow is activated at the beginning of the thru green portion of the cycle.

Earlier this month, the green globe in this doghouse stopped working. Otherwise, this is my favorite doghouse signal, because it usually eliminates my last stop before the Beltway.

plain

That's not the first new MD signals I've seen with backplates. Makes me wonder if more new signals there are going to have them.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Hobart

Here's an old school Indiana example in Gary.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5730753,-87.3561739,3a,41.7y,10.8h,95.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVpoFZxwQvdYvq0PYoobSLA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I hate this one, mainly because it gives both directions a protected left when literally nobody wants to make a left turn.

For double trouble, one of the approaches on 25th has an approach with a left turn and a right turn doghouse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5732601,-87.3563498,3a,48.8y,80.55h,97.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2df3pRdqnESIjem3qeyv0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

plain

Here's a doghouse I'm Henrico County that I almost forgot about. The red aspect is 12" while all the others are 8".

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HcfLzoE935qPYJ6i7
Newark born, Richmond bred

steviep24

These may be some of the last doghouse signals NYSDOT installed before jumping on the FYA bandwagon. NY 441 at Five Mile Line Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1299808,-77.4760277,3a,75y,87.36h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9pbO5WZ6c82-TDFu89JW7g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

davewiecking

Quote from: davewiecking on July 27, 2022, 07:33:56 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 27, 2022, 06:25:28 PM

Translation:
The OP posits that Doghouse signals are an improvement on a 4 lamp column (with the 4th position being a green arrow). He wishes to provide his opinion on various specific doghouse signals of which you, the dear readers, might be aware.

This is the newest doghouse signal near me; it was installed last year when this intersection was rebuilt, eliminating 3-way stop signs. It has a dark backplate. When vehicles are present, the left turn arrow is activated at the beginning of the thru green portion of the cycle.

Earlier this month, the green globe in this doghouse stopped working. Otherwise, this is my favorite doghouse signal, because it usually eliminates my last stop before the Beltway.

I protest. The OP seemingly promised to review my posted doghouse signal. 48 hours later: nada. Perhaps he/she has been sanctioned for inability to form an actual sentence?

hotdogPi

Quote from: davewiecking on July 29, 2022, 11:16:04 PM
I protest. The OP seemingly promised to review my posted doghouse signal. 48 hours later: nada. Perhaps he/she has been sanctioned for inability to form an actual sentence?

Not banned yet. (link won't work forever)

A00234826, also banned for being incomprehensible, received a warning before a ban, so that will probably happen with Lukeisroads.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2022, 09:00:22 AM
Quote from: davewiecking on July 29, 2022, 11:16:04 PM

Not banned yet. (link won't work forever)

A00234826, also banned for being incomprehensible, received a warning before a ban, so that will probably happen with Lukeisroads.
I usaly do it for silence i usally dont review until i write my score Thats My Verdict

Lukeisroads

At All this thread is closed mods lock er up im more better at repling then starting threads

kirbykart

Do any of you love doghouse signals? Well, you're in luck! Here's the best thread ever! Doghouse signals are the best. Post your examples down below, and I'll review them.
There you go, Lukeisroads. That is a version of your original post that people can actually read without losing braincells.

kirbykart

Quote from: Lukeisroads on July 30, 2022, 10:54:34 PM
At All this thread is closed mods lock er up im more better at repling then starting threads
I feel like you must be trolling us with your ridiculously bad spelling and grammar, and your non-existent punctuation.

Lukeisroads

Quote from: kirbykart on July 31, 2022, 07:24:35 AM
I feel like you must be trolling us with your ridiculously bad spelling and grammar, and your non-existent punctuation.
im actually not kidding im serious

mrsman

Quote from: Lukeisroads on July 31, 2022, 10:09:02 AM

It's indicative of millenials and the younger generations.  Writing in text-speak as opposed to full complete sentences. 

While it is certainly quicker to avoid punctuation and capitalization, at minimum, people posting here should make their comments understandable.

kirbykart

Quote from: mrsman on July 31, 2022, 10:28:27 AM
Quote from: Lukeisroads on July 31, 2022, 10:09:02 AM

It's indicative of millenials and the younger generations.  Writing in text-speak as opposed to full complete sentences. 

While it is certainly quicker to avoid punctuation and capitalization, at minimum, people posting here should make their comments understandable.
Yeah, I'm just trying to make his comments understandable. :biggrin:

Scott5114

Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM
By posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

• When replying to other posters, messages should focus on the content of the post being replied to, and not its presentation (spelling, grammar, usage, etc.) If clarification is necessary, it should be requested politely and explicitly, instead of with rude or demeaning comments, or with one-word comments such as "What?" or "Huh?"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 31, 2022, 01:40:39 PM
Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM
By posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

• When replying to other posters, messages should focus on the content of the post being replied to, and not its presentation (spelling, grammar, usage, etc.) If clarification is necessary, it should be requested politely and explicitly, instead of with rude or demeaning comments, or with one-word comments such as "What?" or "Huh?"

Case law with A00234826 says otherwise. The rule you're quoting was added in July or August 2013, within a month of when I joined (not sure whether before or after). A00234826 was active in 2014. Look through the threads they created, and there are posters telling them the correct spelling of municipalities in Massachusetts (and Gillette Stadium) after they repeatedly misspelled them, making jokes about it (pretending Subary was a variant of Subaru instead of Sudbury; singing opera involved in "serves arias" intending service areas), creating custom BGSes with their misspellings, and Alps formally warning them that they would be banned if they couldn't type coherently.

This rule also wasn't enforced with lucas01aswell, 2016-2018.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Stare decisis? In my web forum? It's less likely than you might think!

To be more precise, the point of the rule is to keep people from nitpicking minor spelling and grammar mistakes, because those sorts of posts take up space without adding anything to the discussion. At a certain point, though, if the spelling and grammar is so bad that that post isn't adding to the discussion, then the pendulum swings the other way. If it's so bad that the person becomes a laughingstock, or their posts are consistently incomprehensible (which would trigger one of the post-quality rules), at that point it's less disruptive to show the bad-spelling person the door than to try to sanction the regulars into submission.

It is also kind of a matter of deciding to pick one's battles. Technically every post that contains just an emoji is against the post-quality rules (because there's really not much way you can come up with a meaningful reply to an emoji). But sometimes the right emoji communicates everything that needs to be said. And it's awkward to have the "hey I know you have 1,078 good posts but this one breaks the rules" conversation unless it's for a really good reason.

And also in 2014 there was a different collection of moderators and we had different standards for banning people. Hell, there's a ban on the books that Jake Bear enacted in 2010 that has the reason for the ban listed as "being a moron". If we could still ban people for simply being a moron, there are quite a few people that would have been shown the door much faster than they actually were.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Hobart on July 27, 2022, 10:18:52 PM
Here's an old school Indiana example in Gary.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5730753,-87.3561739,3a,41.7y,10.8h,95.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVpoFZxwQvdYvq0PYoobSLA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I hate this one, mainly because it gives both directions a protected left when literally nobody wants to make a left turn.

For double trouble, one of the approaches on 25th has an approach with a left turn and a right turn doghouse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5732601,-87.3563498,3a,48.8y,80.55h,97.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2df3pRdqnESIjem3qeyv0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I never understood the need for protected right turn signals. It's safe to make a right turn if your approach has a green ball. But it does help improve to flow of traffic.

US 89

Quote from: traffic light guy on August 18, 2022, 05:21:34 PM
It's safe to make a right turn if your approach has a green ball.

Not necessarily true if there's pedestrians.

The right-turn doghouse (or FYA) setup allows a right turn to progress without stopping while the through light is red. Generally this is done if traffic coming from the right has a protected left and is not allowed to u-turn, as this guarantees there will be no pedestrians or other conflicting traffic.

traffic light guy

Quote from: US 89 on August 18, 2022, 05:28:14 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on August 18, 2022, 05:21:34 PM
It's safe to make a right turn if your approach has a green ball.

Not necessarily true if there's pedestrians.

The right-turn doghouse (or FYA) setup allows a right turn to progress without stopping while the through light is red. Generally this is done if traffic coming from the right has a protected left and is not allowed to u-turn, as this guarantees there will be no pedestrians or other conflicting traffic.

Sometimes also done when the intersection is in an all red interval 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.