News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Questions about CT-8/25

Started by TMETSJETSYT, August 25, 2022, 07:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

The idea of an expressway for MA/VT 8 north of the Pike seems quite foolhardy to me, given the level of traffic on the route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

I always envisioned the VT 9 corridor as part of an extended I-88 to I-95 in Hampton, NH.  As for a Route 8 expressway: I never envisioned it going north of the Mass Pike save for a Super 2 offering a direct connection to MA 8 at the northeast end of the US 20 concurrency.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on November 01, 2022, 05:05:53 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 01, 2022, 01:27:35 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 26, 2022, 09:05:30 AM
Also, CT 8 was proposed to continue past Torrington to end in either Massachusetts or Vermont and there was even talk on making CT 8 an Interstate at one point. Is this accurate? Here it is on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Route_8
I'd be curious to see how much truck traffic gets taken off VT 9 of they built a Route 8 freeway.

Current VT 8 ends unremarkably at a T intersection.

They probably would only have built a Route 8 freeway all the way to VT 9 if plans for an east/west southern VT expressway had come to fruitition.  Was an interstate ever proposed to connect Brattleboro with Bennington via the VT 9 corridor?  Given the nature of the route, I don't know how they would have done that.  I know the US 4 corridor further north was tapped as a possible I-92 routing.  Regardless, if a VT 8 expressway made it to VT 9, I doubt it would have done much to take traffic off VT 9.  You'd still have to go south a significant distance to go east or west. 

Not sure though if there were any tenative plans for such an expressway on VT 8 (or MA 8 north of the Mass Pike).  It probably would've meant an exit between Exits 2 & 3 on the 'pike in the middle of the 30-mile no-exit zone, and for some reason, the residents are fighting to keep that 30 mile stretch exit-free.
VTDOT has been feverishly adding climbing lanes to VT 9 and they appear to spend a lot of money keeping the whole length well-maintained. That being said, an Albany to Portsmouth Interstate would probably be overkill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.