News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unsigned Concurrencies

Started by Amaury, November 11, 2022, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaury

I did a quick search for this topic, but the only thing I found was from 2012, and I didn't want to necro-bump a dead thread. What are some concurrencies you've noticed that are not signed?

Back on January 31, I took a drive to Columbia Falls, Montana; while watching the video again and looking at a map on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Highway_40#/map/0), as well as Google Maps, I noticed that Montana Highway 40 is concurrent with US Route 2 between West First Avenue and Halfmoon Road (which changes to US Route 2 on the south side of the intersection). However, signage wise, Montana has that section signed only as US Route 2, so going by that, Montana is saying Montana Highway 40 only runs between the junction of US Route 93 and the junction of US Route 2, just outside the city boundary of Columbia Falls. Assuming Montana knows its roads well, which they should, the only thing I can think of is that Montana Highway 40 was shortened at some point to just be between those junctions, thereby eliminating the concurrency, and maps just haven't updated, perhaps because it wasn't that long ago.

Albeit much more minor, the only other one I've noticed is the Washington State Route 270 and Washington State Route 27 concurrency in Pullman, Washington, which I posted about as a question in another section. That one is not signed at all, though, with either number because, I'm guessing, it's extremely short (two blocks).
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Max Rockatansky

CA 1 more or less is one on US 101 from the vicinity of Oxnard through the bulk of Santa Barbara Channel to Gaviota Pass.  The only place CA 1 pops up in between is on the Rincon Seawall which just happens to be pre-freeway US 101.

To a lesser extent CA 140 and CA 59 briefly have an unsigned multiplex of CA 99 in Merced.  There are no reassurance shields for 140 or 59 along 99, but there is exit gantry signage where they depart the multiplex.

MATraveler128

MA 1A from Dedham to Boston is unsigned along I-95 and I-93.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

bulldog1979

Is this where we mention all the US Highways out west that officially overlap Interstates but lack signage, or things like US 52 silently overlapping I-94 in Minnesota or US 41 semi-silently overlapping I-41 in Wisconsin?

Amaury

It can be any unsigned concurrency that is only signed using the primary route instead of both.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Rothman

Freakin' too many to count given the geographic holes in our membership on here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 11, 2022, 02:14:07 PM

Don't forget 3A joining 93 in Boston as well, for the I-93/US 1/MA 3/(unsigned) MA 1A/(unsigned) MA 3A mega concurrency.

3A also has a silent concurrency with MA 3/US 3 from Boston to Burlington. I also believe MA 7A has a silent concurrency with US 7 (and others) between its two singed stretches.

Oddly enough, with 1A having a silent concurrency with 1 south of Boston, it has a signed one thru Newburyport and Salisbury.

New Hampshire, to my knowledge, only has US 3 Business (used to be signed) in Laconia and US 302 Business (to my knowledge never signed) in Bartlett.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cwf1701

Almost every state highway in Alabama with its US highway counterpart (example AL-1 with US-431)

US 89

Quote from: cwf1701 on November 11, 2022, 08:19:22 PM
Almost every state highway in Alabama with its US highway counterpart (example AL-1 with US-431)

Same with Florida, where interstates and the Turnpike also have hidden state numbers in addition to the US highways. And all the interstates in Georgia with their silent 4xx designations.

achilles765

For some odd reason here in Houston, even though interstate 10 and US 90 are concurrent  from the 610 east loop to far west Katy, US 90 is unsigned for all of it. Going by signage alone, it would appear that US 90 ends at I-10 and then begins again at pin oak road, while US 90 alternate begins at I-610 and runs through town and then south of I-10 on its route to seguin.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

epzik8

MD 23 is unmarked on MD 165 through Jarrettsville, but the overlap is acknowledged internally.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Quote from: cwf1701 on November 11, 2022, 08:19:22 PM

Quote from: US 89 on November 12, 2022, 01:13:41 AM
Same with Florida, where interstates and the Turnpike also have hidden state numbers in addition to the US highways. And all the interstates in Georgia with their silent 4xx designations.

To me, there's a difference between a "hidden route" and an "unsigned concurrency".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kirbykart

Catt CR 12 is unsigned in its concurrency with US 219.

I-55

US-31 is unsigned on its concurrency with I-65 between Ardmore, TN and Athens, AL.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2022, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 12, 2022, 01:13:41 AM

To me, there's a difference between a "hidden route" and an "unsigned concurrency".

I would disagree with that only because a lot of "hidden routes" are actually portions of longer routes that are signed other places. Take SR 20 in Florida, for example. A lot of it is its own thing, independent and fully signed, but it is also the "hidden route" for US 27 between Tallahassee and High Springs, and it has a few more overlaps with other things where it isn't signed (US 441 from High Springs to Gainesville, SR 100 from Palatka to Bunnell).

As far as SR 20 goes, making a distinction between the US 90/SR 10 overlap in Tallahassee as an "unsigned concurrency" and the US 27 overlap across the panhandle as a "hidden route" seems pretty pointless as far as I'm concerned. Is it still "hidden route" material on the three-block overlap with US 27/SR 61 in downtown Tallahassee since 61 is signed there, or is it "unsigned concurrency" because 61 is clearly the through route there? A question (maybe without a real answer) that doesn't really need to be asked.

kphoger

In that case, I would call them unsigned concurrencies.  FL-20 is not a hidden route.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Might not count for this thread, but an oddity in North Carolina is that US-158 westbound concurrency with I-85 southbound is not posted until you are a few hundred feet from Exit 213 for US-158 West (where the BGS proudly proclaims that the exit is only 1/2 mile).  That total concurrency is only 1.8 miles, but it is still long enough to deserve an extra reassurance sign after the left entrance ramp from US-158.  A similar situation exists on the northbound side of I-85, but the US-158 concurrency is posted just before Exit 214 (NC-39/Downtown), which just a hair over a mile from the where US-158 eastbound exits the Interstate.

kenarmy

US 51/ I-55 from County Line Rd. past the stack. I've mentioned a few times on here that a lot of maps (inc. google) still show 51 on state street.
MS 16/ I-55
US 80/I-20 West of Clinton. I THINK there are a few signs in the Vicksburg area. The concurrency near Meridian is hit or miss with signage.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

zzcarp

Colorado has so many.

CO 128 is unsigned along its concurrency with US 287 even though it is now the same road all the way through.

CO 7 is unsigned along US 36 between Boulder and Lyons.

CO 14 is semi-signed using "TO" along its concurrency with US 287.

CO 60 is semi-signed as "TO" along its concurrency with the I-25 frontage road).

CO 52 is unsigned between I-76 in Wiggins and US 34 in Fort Morgan.

CO 17 is unsigned along US 285 (and a few blocks of US 160) between Antonito and Alamosa.

And of course, there's our famous unsigned US route overlaps:

US 87 along I-25 from Raton, NM to the Wyoming border.

US 85 along I-25 from the Texas/New Mexico border to Fountain, then again in Colorado Springs to Castle Rock, then its final unsigned concurrency along I-25 and I-70 between Santa Fe Drive and Vasquez Boulevard.

US 6 along I-76 from Brush to US 85 and along I-70 and I-25 in Denver. Then there are many along I-70 westbound including between Floyd Hill and Loveland Pass, from Silverthorne to Minturn, from Gypsum to Glenwood Springs, then west Glenwood to Canyon Creek, then De Beque to Palisade, then west Grand Junction to Green River UT.

US 50 is unsigned along I-70 from Utah to Grand Junction.

US 40 is unsigned along I-70 from Empire to the US 6 Clear Creek exit then along US 6 to the frontage road. It's again unsigned along I-70 between the Evergreen/Bergen Park exit to Genessee.

US 40 and US 287 are unsigned along I-70 from East Colfax in Denver to Limon.

US 36 is unsigned along the entire length of I-270 and I-70 between I-270 and Byers.

US 24 is unsigned along I-70 between Limon and County Road 12 west of Seibert.

So many miles and so many roads

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on November 11, 2022, 04:39:13 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 11, 2022, 02:14:07 PM

Don't forget 3A joining 93 in Boston as well, for the I-93/US 1/MA 3/(unsigned) MA 1A/(unsigned) MA 3A mega concurrency.

3A also has a silent concurrency with MA 3/US 3 from Boston to Burlington. I also believe MA 7A has a silent concurrency with US 7 (and others) between its two singed stretches.

Oddly enough, with 1A having a silent concurrency with 1 south of Boston, it has a signed one thru Newburyport and Salisbury.

There's also MA 2A, which has unsigned concurrencies between its multiple standalone segments between Greenfield and Boston.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

Utah has a handful, but less than it used to...

US 6 is unsigned along I-70 from Green River to the Colorado state line, except for one mention at the US 191 interchange.

US 50 is unsigned along I-70 from the Sevier/Emery county line east to Colorado (yes, for whatever reason the 70/50 overlap is only signed in Sevier County).

US 89 is unsigned along its overlap with SR 71 in Draper, where it shifts from I-15 over to State Street along 123rd South. There used to be a direct interchange, but it was removed in the early 2000s

US 89 is unsigned along I-15 from Bountiful to Farmington, except for one reassurance marker

US 191 is unsigned along I-70 from Crescent Junction to Green River

SR 30 is completely unsigned on its overlaps with I-84 and I-15 from Snowville to Riverside. It's also not signed on the US 89 overlap from Logan to Garden City, though at least some implied concurrency signage does exist in Logan

SR 48 is not signed on its one mile concurrency with SR 68 in West Jordan.

SR 118 isn't signed on its SR 120 overlap in Richfield. It's debatable whether this one is even real or if 118 is just discontinuous though, because signage is pretty poor at both junctions and there's nothing to suggest an implied concurrency at either end.

jt4

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2022, 07:40:39 PM
In that case, I would call them unsigned concurrencies.  FL-20 is not a hidden route.

I'd agree. Routes that are never signed (whether its a state designation for federal routes or otherwise) are hidden. Routes that are signed in any capacity could have unsigned concurrencies or unsigned portions.

US 89

Quote from: jt4 on November 15, 2022, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2022, 07:40:39 PM

I'd agree. Routes that are never signed (whether its a state designation for federal routes or otherwise) are hidden. Routes that are signed in any capacity could have unsigned concurrencies or unsigned portions.

I still think that's a distinction without a meaning. Take the main highways across the Florida panhandle, I-10 (hidden SR 8) and US 90 (hidden SR 10). Why should 8 be thought of any differently than 10, just because 10 has a short signed section all the way over in Jacksonville while 8 is never signed at all?

kphoger

For a hidden route, nobody ever has any need to know that route number.

For an unsigned concurrency, someone following the route from one end to the other would find themselves in the gap.

For example, when my parents go on vacation to Estes Park (CO), they often stop by my childhood hometown of Atwood (KS) along the way.  From there to Estes Park, they take US-36 the entire way.  However, there is a gap in US-36 signage between Byers and Denver.  Signing the concurrency would allow a person to actually follow a single route designation, rather than having to already know that I-70 is the same thing as US-36 for part of the journey.

In contrast, when I spent a couple of days in Tulsa for work one time, I apparently drove on unsigned I-444.  But that didn't matter one bit, because I couldn't possibly have any need to follow signs for I-444:  there are no signs anywhere for me to start following, and therefore no gap to exist.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.