News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP Kirstie Alley

Started by roadman65, December 06, 2022, 07:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Olivia Newton-John, Christine McVie and Kirstie Alley all in a short span of time.

The early 1980s have lost a lot of talented women.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Both Newton John and Alley both costarred along side John Travolta in their careers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

She was my favorite Saavik

kphoger

One of our pastors ran into Kirstie Alley recently (she was from Wichita), and he had a serious conversation with her.  He told her how he appreciated her willingness to speak out about her conservative political stance–which isn't exactly welcome in the the TV/movie industry.  In reply, she thanked him for the compliment because, in her own words, "I may never work again".

RIP, Kirstie Alley.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

This one just hit me hard. Out of the three deaths to occur in the Cheers/Frasier shared universe (Nicholas Colasanto and John Mahoney were the others), Kirstie Alley's was easily the most painful one. She was a sweet and very funny lady, which is a rare combination nowadays. In addition to Cheers, she also had Veronica's Closet and the Weight Watchers commercials on her résumé. So sad to hear about it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ilpt4u

ClassicHasClass

She certainly made the role spicier, which is an odd thing to say about a Vulcan, I suppose.

Robin Curtis wasn't bad, but she was bland, and the perm was weird.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on December 06, 2022, 11:06:14 PM
She certainly made the role spicier, which is an odd thing to say about a Vulcan, I suppose.

Robin Curtis wasn't bad, but she was bland, and the perm was weird.
The Lt Valeris role in STVI was supposedly originally written to be Lt Saavik. Apparently Gene Roddenberry objected to making her a "villain"  even tho Nicholas Meyer, who created the character for STII, portrayed by Alley, claimed Saavik was "his"  character to develop, since he introduced her in STII. And the script got (slightly) changed and Lt Valeris created. Whether Kim Cattrall, Robin Curtis, or Kirstie Alley would ultimately have been cast to reprise Saavik, I haven't read a definitive answer on that

It makes sense that Saavik and Valeris are the same character: Gives A LOT more motive to the character's actions. And themes from "The Spock Trilogy"  of STII-IV, which Meyer was heavily involved with, are key plot elements in the story of STVI. Saavik is an integral part of that story, especially in STIII

Some of the deleted scenes from STII go more into Lt Saavik's dual heritage of Vulcan and Romulan (not sure if officially ST canon or not). The biggest clue that made it into the final movie is the emotional "Damn"  uttered by Alley during the Kobayashi Maru Command Test which opens the film. Basically, Saavik is supposed to be a spicy Vulcan

In_Correct

Kirstie Alley had health problems for decades. I did not know they were that severe.

Star Trek is one of the most difficult franchises to work for. They did not clarify character backgrounds such as being part Romulan. And did Saavik have a child with Spock ??
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

ilpt4u

Quote from: In_Correct on December 08, 2022, 08:06:12 AM

Kirstie Alley had health problems for decades. I did not know they were that severe.

Star Trek is one of the most difficult franchises to work for. They did not clarify character backgrounds such as being part Romulan. And did Saavik have a child with Spock ??
The original plot element as to why Lt Saavik did not leave Vulcan with the rest of the Enterprise crew, at the beginning of STIV, was because she was pregnant with Spock's child/see the "pon farr"  scene in STIII. What survived to the final movie was Saavik staying on Vulcan instead of the adventure back to the 1980s, but never a real reason for such.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.