News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hey, stop fucking texting while driving

Started by 6a, December 15, 2022, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 16, 2022, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 16, 2022, 11:10:35 AM
Be honest with the insurance agents.  They really appreciate it.

Fiddling with the radio or climate controls can be just as distracting as reading a text message.  Shouting at the talk show host on the radio can be just as distracting as holding a conversation with your kid in the back seat.  Yes, ideally, nothing should distract us from the road, but a complete 100% ban on phone use isn't practical for most people.  Having said that, however, typing a text message requires a lot of time spent looking down.

It should be a good 95% ban. Anything that involves looking down or pressing too many buttons (and you know how difficult touch screens can be while you're moving) is asking for an accident. Maybe people who have gotten 3 or more distracted driving tickets within 5 years should have to install an iphone-ignition-interlock device where to start the car, their phone either has to be dead, or it forcefully deactivates any and all apps except for GPS/Emergency calls..etc, while the car is moving.

Says the guy who posts on this forum while behind the wheel...

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2022, 06:08:55 PM

Fiddling with the radio or climate controls can be just as distracting as reading a text message.  Shouting at the talk show host on the radio can be just as distracting as holding a conversation with your kid in the back seat.  Yes, ideally, nothing should distract us from the road, but a complete 100% ban on phone use isn't practical for most people.  Having said that, however, typing a text message requires a lot of time spent looking down.

It should be a good 95% ban. Anything that involves looking down or pressing too many buttons (and you know how difficult touch screens can be while you're moving) is asking for an accident. Maybe people who have gotten 3 or more distracted driving tickets within 5 years should have to install an iphone-ignition-interlock device where to start the car, their phone either has to be dead, or it forcefully deactivates any and all apps except for GPS/Emergency calls..etc, while the car is moving.

Never when moving. I also put my car in park at every red light so I don't have to worry about my foot slipping off the brake. It's taken 5-10 red lights sometimes to make 1 post behind the wheel.

Edit to my Iphone-Ignition-Interlock device: Your phone shouldn't have to be dead, that would encourage people to let their phones die without charging them, when they should be able to call in an emergency. I have made that mistake too many times of not charging my phone enough before driving. So, a better idea would be to have either a Bluetooth system or connecting USB cable that plugs into your phone and the car, and when the car turns on, a command goes through the cable to lock out all phone apps except maps and phone calls. You would have to have your phone with you though to attach it even if you don't plan to use it. That is a good thing because it would help prevent people from forgetting their phones, which can be equally as bad in an emergency. Texting would be locked out.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 16, 2022, 06:15:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2022, 06:08:55 PM

Never when moving. I also put my car in park at every red light so I don't have to worry about my foot slipping off the brake. It's taken 5-10 red lights sometimes to make 1 post behind the wheel.

Kind of hard to grandstand on something when you still technically engaging in what would legally be considered like behavior. 

TheHighwayMan3561

You do realize that you're just as liable for tickets when stopped (actually, probably easier for cops to nab people sitting at a stoplight than when using their phone while in motion) as you are using your phone when moving, right?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SectorZ

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 16, 2022, 06:15:24 PM
It's taken 5-10 red lights sometimes to make 1 post behind the wheel.

Wait, um, what?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 16, 2022, 07:13:09 PM
You do realize that you're just as liable for tickets when stopped (actually, probably easier for cops to nab people sitting at a stoplight than when using their phone while in motion) as you are using your phone when moving, right?

I mean you are at risk of impeding traffic if you don't realize the light turned green, but I guess that depends on the state. Some states it's legal to talk on the phone even in motion, so some probably allow at intersections.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 16, 2022, 07:26:24 PM

I mean you are at risk of impeding traffic if you don't realize the light turned green, but I guess that depends on the state. Some states it's legal to talk on the phone even in motion, so some probably allow at intersections.

Typing is much more dangerous than talking or even pressing the occasional button to e.g. switch between Waze and some other app.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on December 16, 2022, 07:37:09 PM
Typing is much more dangerous [...]

The manual carriage return is also a reason to not use a typewriter when driving.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: 1 on December 16, 2022, 07:37:09 PM

Typing is much more dangerous than talking or even pressing the occasional button to e.g. switch between Waze and some other app.

Even while dead stopped?

hbelkins

Not in Kentucky. Texting is not prohibited when the vehicle is stopped.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

6a

Quote from: formulanone on December 16, 2022, 10:01:17 AM
To be honest, the vehicle looks repairable. The rear of a vehicle is far less complex to repair than the front of it (unless it's rear/mid-engined). Suspension is less complex, there's no steering, cooling system, et cetera.
I really hope so, because I really loved it for its short time on the road.

NE2

This is why blind accessibility features exist. Simply turn on Talkback or Voiceover and you won't have to look at the screen.

:bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JoePCool14

I'm really sorry to hear you have to deal with that. People just drive really badly these days and it seems to get worse. You either have people in a hyper-rush to get to where they want to go, or they're slow as molasses. Throw in some distracted drivers and you have a trifecta of disaster.

I think appropriate phone usage is limited to just switching apps and managing navigation in low-stress situations: few (or no) driveways, light traffic, and even better: familiar locations. In some situations it's just completely inappropriate to do anything unless it's changing a song or volume with a button on your steering wheel.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

skluth

I frequently talk in my car when it's in motion and I'm both alone and not talking on my phone. I'm usually bitching at the idiot in front of me not paying attention to the road because they're too distracted by their phone or passenger or music or the giant ball of fluff on their dash while driving under the speed limit in the left lane. Not that the idiot can hear me but it does vent my anger.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.