News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who can hold it the longest in the car on road trips?

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 20, 2022, 08:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

We have a bar set, can anyone exceed it?

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 20, 2022, 08:24:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2022, 08:17:38 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 20, 2022, 07:28:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 20, 2022, 06:40:40 PM
Quote from: kkt on December 20, 2022, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 20, 2022, 02:32:45 PM
Unbelievable.

If only it really were unbelievable.

That's sure a lot of flying for someone with aspirations to drive 2,000,000 miles.  But hey, why not buy the entourage holiday flights when you have $29,000 in liquid cash assets?

It's actually 26,000 now, car expenses hot me hard this year. But I rarely fly. My last flight was over 9 years ago. Charlotte was originally going to be a road trip but I changed my mind.

So, all this bouncing around on flights when a trip behind the wheel would have likely taken 10-12 hours to complete depending on when you left.  Had your flight gone to plan how much time would you really have been saving?  Seems like the easier thing to do would have been to get on the road before sunrise (weather permitting) to get out to I-81 and I-77.

Nah I don't get up early for road trips, but had it gone normally, I would have been there 3:55 ish whereas driving would have taken at least 9 hours. Add in a long half hour rest stop and it may have been 10 hours (I can only go about 6-7 hours of driving right now before needing food/bathroom..etc). My main point in going there wasn't for the driving, it was for riding Fury325.

My personal record was about 5.5-6 hours when I was in a hurry to get from Phoenix and Alamogordo back during 2012. 

thspfc

If I go longer than ~2 hours without urinating I feel gross. Drink water. On a multi-hour trip, saving a couple minutes here and there ultimately doesn't matter.

Rothman

Huh.  I've never thought about this before.  I just stop as needed.  Definitely longer than 2 hours.  But 5 or 6?  I've no idea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

I did 4 hours and 30 minutes without stopping on my most recent trip between Memphis and Houston (specifically the stretch between Shreveport and my exurb south of Houston). I probably could've eked out an extra hour if I had kept going, so I'd say around 5 hours would be my maximum limit.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jeffandnicole

The max I will probably drive no matter what is 4 - 5 hours, which would be about 280 - 350 miles.  Depends on when I need to get gas.  And while I'm stopped, I'll probably hit the bathroom.  I could push it by not going to the bathroom, but that just means I'll definitely be stopping again within a short period of time, so now I'm not exactly  being efficient with my stops.

Besides, as I drive, I tend to have a drink.  And related to MMM's comment above, while one tends to exert water via sweat when moving, sitting in the car doesn't tend to use up much personal power, so it's likely someone will need to pee more often.

kphoger

If a baby just fell asleep in the car, you must keep driving until he wakes up–no questions asked, no matter how long it takes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

So when I was in my 20s I did an 10.5 hour trip from Indiana to Georgia on one stop, so I know I at least made it 5.25 hours.

Nowadays, 3.5 hours is pretty much my upper limit.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

4 hours (Rochester, NY to Cleveland, OH) is the longest I know I've made without stopping. But it was early morning and, as I recall, the driver and I were the only ones awake most of the trip. Normally, I would plan on a stop about every 2.5 hours on long trips.

bandit957

Sometimes if I had a really long road trip, like a whole week, I could go the whole trip without pooing. I can't do that anymore, but it used to be the norm.

Once when I was going on 13, we went on a week-long family trip to Philadelphia and Washington DC, and I made it the whole week without pooing. But someone kept passing gas and stinking up everything. It was as hilarious as you might imagine. Someone ripped a silent-but-deadly at the Smithsonian Museum, and my mom loudly declared, "It smells like somebody has a load in their pants!" It really did too.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

MultiMillionMiler

I tend to get gas when I am down to 1/5 or 1/6 of a tank, so usually after somewhere between 370 and 430 miles depending on the traffic and how good the gas mileage I got. With a 15.5 gallon tank I would need to get gas at around every 400 miles of average highway driving. As for going to the bathroom, I usually just try to go as much as I can before leaving. Some people claim that the subtle vibrations of the car from being on the road for a long time start to give you an urge to go sooner, but I've never been affected by that I don't think.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 10:35:04 PM
Sometimes if I had a really long road trip, like a whole week, I could go the whole trip without pooing. I can't do that anymore, but it used to be the norm.

Once when I was going on 13, we went on a week-long family trip to Philadelphia and Washington DC, and I made it the whole week without pooing. But someone kept passing gas and stinking up everything. It was as hilarious as you might imagine. Someone ripped a silent-but-deadly at the Smithsonian Museum, and my mom loudly declared, "It smells like somebody has a load in their pants!" It really did too.

We a front runner now for the Number 2 category.  Should we keep a running scoreboard?

US 89

I went all the way from Rawlins, WY to Salt Lake City once without stopping, which is 4:30 on its own...and of course I arrived to the Wasatch Front just in time for rush hour, so it was probably closer to 4:45 or 5 hours. That last 30 minutes sucked.

abefroman329

All who think it's a badge of honor to hold it for as long as you can should heed the lesson this story has to offer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND#%22Hold_Your_Wee_for_a_Wii%22_contest

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 21, 2022, 06:56:03 AM
All who think it's a badge of honor to hold it for as long as you can should heed the lesson this story has to offer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND#%22Hold_Your_Wee_for_a_Wii%22_contest

I just assumed the scenario through which long urine breaks intervals occur didn't include really much in the way of water consumption and rather forced dehydration. 

flan

I regularly make it the 7.5 hours from the Twin Cities to central ND without trouble assuming I go beforehand. On longer road trips it's still only about 8—10 hours between bathroom stops unless I'd had something to drink at some point.

Max Rockatansky

Fair to say 10 hours is the new top of the mark for number 1?

MultiMillionMiler

Body-Harming challenges like that should be banned on all social media. I heard of one where the dare was to not drink for 2 days straight, and he got sick and ended up needing IVs in the hospital. If companies would stop letting people make money off of BS like that, people would be less incentivized to do it. Videos depicting or encouraging such idiocy should be taken down immediately and the channel banned. I'm glad I stopped even commenting on youtube, Facebook, l, and Twitter over a year ago. I personally will look all over for a place to stop if I have to go, it's not worth getting a urinary infection/bladder damage. Empty bottles could be useful in that respect. (Even wet clothes aren't as bad as urinary damage). I'm being serious here. Physical Health is more important is situations like that.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2022, 07:51:46 AM

I just assumed the scenario through which long urine breaks intervals occur didn't include really much in the way of water consumption and rather forced dehydration.
I realize it's not a 1:1.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2022, 10:35:04 PM

Once when I was going on 13, we went on a week-long family trip to Philadelphia and Washington DC, and I made it the whole week without pooing.

For a while in my youth, I seemed to not be able to 'complete any downloads' while on trips.  This one backpacking trip, it took me like 4 days before I could finally drop a deuce despite trying a few times.  Might be able to chalk that one up to eating rehydrated food and not drinking enough water.

It was around that time that I discovered the "home bowl" phenomenon.  Getting back home after a long trip, it's like my butt knows we're getting close and like clockwork, gotta hit the head pretty much as soon as we arrived home.  Somewhat funny because the rest of the family is like "Oh you're just trying to get out of helping unpack the car!"  Heh, nope.

Driving for more than three hours straight strikes me as a safety hazard, even if one doesn't have to do any extruding.  That's a long time to be alert and attentive as a driver for your average motorist.  The longer you drive continuously, the greater fatigue and the greater the chances of making a mistake behind the wheel.  Take your breaks, people.  Stretch your legs, get the blood flowing, get out of the auditorally consistent environment that is the interior of a vehicle driving at highway speeds.  Driving is a more mentally taxing thing than I think most people appreciate.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

I get this isn't all that healthy, but I once flew from LAX to Sydney and didn't pee the whole time. Granted, I was asleep for about 11 hours of the 14.5 hour flight, but I went right before I boarded, didn't have to go for the first two hours of the flight, fell asleep, and then figured I could hold off until we landed.

triplemultiplex

I think it's more impressive you managed to sleep for so long on a plane. Drugs?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 21, 2022, 10:35:38 AM
I think it's more impressive you managed to sleep for so long on a plane. Drugs?

Nah. As I remember, maybe a beer or two before the flight, but that's it. It was a very empty flight and I got to lay flat on a section of four seats.

skluth

All I know is it ain't me. 4-5 hours was my limit when I was young. Now I keep one of these in the car.

formulanone

I'm down to about 3-4 hours maximum, where as I was told I had an "iron bladder" as a kid. I used to drive for 5-6 hours and not need to make a stop, but those days are long gone. Travelling with kids for long distances means they're always on different pit stop schedules, so I get relief because I'm not holding up anyone else's day up.

Sometimes I can hold it a little longer on a plane ride, because it's a headache and annoyance to others when trying to get a lav. If the flight is over 4 hours, I'm making a pit stop somewhere around the third hour, or if my seatmates are taking turns. I have been able to hold it longer but I've been in the situation where you land and then wait 30 minutes for a gate, and that's a pretty miserable feeling.

As I get older, the trick I've found is to go once when I get off of the flight, and time permitting, go again just before boarding the next one (if the flight is on the long side), or some sort of errand-running which involves places without restrooms. An enlarged prostate means you probably don't get it all out of your bladder. (Yeah, I got the idea from a kid's show.)

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 21, 2022, 10:35:38 AM
I managed to sleep for about 9 of the 14 hours it took to get from Washington, DC to Tokyo, mainly by taking melatonin and staying up all night the night before. 

Also, I was in business class.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.