News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

South Lincoln Beltway trip report

Started by SD Mapman, December 21, 2022, 07:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Figured I'd make this its own thread. Before the arctic blast of death settles in tomorrow and the ice completely covers my car I was able to travel the completed length of the South Lincoln Beltway (NE 2) this afternoon. It's a nice drive, though a bit surreal for someone like me who's been traveling to Lincoln for cross country meets, parties, etc. before any dirt work on this whatsoever. Old NE 2 is indeed Nebraska Parkway, with no business designation, and L55W has also been decommissioned. Sorry if the photos aren't the greatest, the ice was starting to come in.

Legacy signage for NE 2 by the S. 84th Walmart

Legacy milepost. There weren't any on the beltway yet.

New streetblade for old NE 2.

The snow-covered field straight ahead is where the road used to go.

More to come after dinner.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SD Mapman

First "JUNCTION 2" sign.

Lanes for each direction.

Several signs that tell people you have to turn left for East 2 (since no one is used to doing that).

First sign for Old Hwy 2.

Second sign for Old Hwy 2.

Exit signage for Old Hwy 2.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SD Mapman

Upcoming exits, only the 70th St one is currently open.

First reassurance shield on the Beltway.

Signage for the closed 84th St exit.

Signage for the closed 84th St exit.

Sign gantries sitting on the closed bridge.

Reassurance shield and signage for the currently open exit (14 blocks to the mile in Lincoln).

SD Mapman

Use 68th St to get to Roca and Hickman (farm towns that have become suburbs).

68th/70th exit.

Next two exits.

Shield after the 68th/70th exit.

Jamaica Ave./Bennet Rd exit.

No more exits till 77.

Last NE 2 shield.

77 coming up.

Last exit on the bypass.

webny99

Thanks for sharing! Great to see this nearing completion. It is indeed a surreal experience to drive through a finished project after following its progress for years.

triplemultiplex

Wow, full concrete shoulders like it's I-80.  Looks like a great facility.
My only complaint is that they didn't build it 20 years ago so it could've been closer into the city.

Now get to work freeway-converting the rest of US 77 between NE 2 and I-80, Nebraska. Chop, chop!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SD Mapman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 22, 2022, 10:20:07 AM
Wow, full concrete shoulders like it's I-80.  Looks like a great facility.
My only complaint is that they didn't build it 20 years ago so it could've been closer into the city.

Now get to work freeway-converting the rest of US 77 between NE 2 and I-80, Nebraska. Chop, chop!
Feels like they built it to interstate standards, NDOT and the City should just bite the bullet and apply for I-280 to finish it off.

The Ghostbuster

Little chance of that happening. And I've never been to Nebraska.

mrose

Need to get going on those at-grades on 77.

Bobby5280

Even if they eliminate the 5 at-grade intersections on US-77 between I-80 and NB-2 the resulting freeway would still be a spur, not a loop. So "I-280" wouldn't make any sense. It would have to be an odd number designation. And I think it might seem a little weird for two different Interstate spur routes going off I-80 with only one exit between them

mvak36

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 23, 2022, 12:07:32 PM
Even if they eliminate the 5 at-grade intersections on US-77 between I-80 and NB-2 the resulting freeway would still be a spur, not a loop. So "I-280" wouldn't make any sense. It would have to be an odd number designation. And I think it might seem a little weird for two different Interstate spur routes going off I-80 with only one exit between them
If they do the East beltway then I-280 would make sense. But that's a long ways away from construction and I'm not sure if NDOT or the city of Lincoln wants an interstate designation.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mvak36 on December 23, 2022, 02:27:20 PM
If they do the East beltway then I-280 would make sense. But that's a long ways away from construction and I'm not sure if NDOT or the city of Lincoln wants an interstate designation.

That would enter into fictional category but US-34 could be rerouted on the East Beltway instead of going downtown Lincoln or NB-43 is rerouted on the East Beltway.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 23, 2022, 04:37:08 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on December 23, 2022, 02:27:20 PM
If they do the East beltway then I-280 would make sense. But that’s a long ways away from construction and I’m not sure if NDOT or the city of Lincoln wants an interstate designation.

That would enter into fictional category but US-34 could be rerouted on the East Beltway instead of going downtown Lincoln or NB-43 is rerouted on the East Beltway.
That was more "if they want both the west and east legs finished they should apply for an interstate" kinda thing. The west beltway plans appear to have been scrubbed from NDOT's website, and I've only ever seen the East Beltway on a City page: https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/City/Departments/LTU/LTU-Projects/Planned/East-Beltway

For what it's worth, they designed the Old Hwy 2 interchange for a connection to the proposed East bypass. Honestly if they don't go Interstate when the full loop is complete that routing you described (34 from O to I-80, N-43 from Rokeby to O) is probably what'll happen. Nebraska seems to have no problem with multiple designations on freeway segments (like US 6-L28B-US 275 from Omaha to Fremont).

Stephane Dumas

Interesting to note that map show a proposed ROW north of I-80. https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/files/sharedassets/public/ltu/projects/east-beltway-detail-map.pdf  Probably for some ramp to link with US-6 but is it far-fetched to think then NB DOT might have once thought of bigger plans north of the East Belway terminus?

As the west beltway which is US-77, we're lucky they hadn't deleted that document yet. http://www.nebraskatransportation.org/projects/linc-w-beltway/index.htm

Revive 755

The signing on the beltway approaching US 77 could be better:

• Thinking there should be a control city for northbound US 77 on the advance signs - Lincoln would still work.
  • The signing seems unclear that the beltway defaults onto northbound US 77.  The 1/2 mile sign really looks misleading.  Thinking there should have been an overhead assembly there with separate signs for NB and SB US 77 (the NB sign could use "Ahead" there).

SD Mapman

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 24, 2022, 04:40:38 PM
Interesting to note that map show a proposed ROW north of I-80. https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/files/sharedassets/public/ltu/projects/east-beltway-detail-map.pdf  Probably for some ramp to link with US-6 but is it far-fetched to think then NB DOT might have once thought of bigger plans north of the East Belway terminus?
Think that's all it was sadly, don't remember where I saw it but there was another version of the East Beltway that had an at-grade at US 6.

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 04, 2023, 10:55:08 PM
The signing on the beltway approaching US 77 could be better:

• Thinking there should be a control city for northbound US 77 on the advance signs - Lincoln would still work.
  • The signing seems unclear that the beltway defaults onto northbound US 77.  The 1/2 mile sign really looks misleading.  Thinking there should have been an overhead assembly there with separate signs for NB and SB US 77 (the NB sign could use "Ahead" there).

Yeah, that's a bit confusing if you're not from around there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.