News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Routes That Diverge and then Re-Merge

Started by CoreySamson, January 04, 2023, 12:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

US-64 and US-74 are concurrent when entering North Carolina from Tennessee.  They split at Murphy and the merge back together at Bat Cave.  Murphy and Bat Cave are only 130 miles apart driving distance, but in the middle the two routes are about 30 apart as the crow flies.

US-64 and US-70 used to merge and diverge in North Carolina, but now they just criss-cross each other a bunch of times.  And they also touch each other and go back their separate ways in the west side of Statesville.

Amaury

That Texas Route 256 looks like it's a loop route.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 04, 2023, 04:45:28 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 04, 2023, 04:29:32 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 04, 2023, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 04, 2023, 03:47:13 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 04, 2023, 01:43:16 PM
-former one is VA 5 and US 60 in Richmond and Williamsburg (the latter being wrong-way), but VA 5 now ends at 60 in Richmond instead

I thought that VA 5 and US 60 were concurrent on Main St west to 25th St.  Was VA 5 truncated without us knowing?

I thought it had been officially truncated a few years ago when the Main/Dock roundabout was built, but I seem to have misremembered. It’s certainly not posted westbound past the roundabout, and there are no postings anywhere that I can see at Main and Williamsburg. There are a couple trailblazers eastbound on Main, one at 25th and one at the curve just past Poe’s Pub, but they look old enough to be pre-2003.

The VDOT ArcGIS map shows VA 5 ending at US 60, so you're right. VA 5 westbound used to be posted just east of Poe's Pub but that sign is gone now.

The CTB has stopped regularly documenting reroutes and truncations that don't result in fewer primary route-miles (as would the case be with VA 5 cut back on its US 60 concurrency).

The WB posting by Poe's Pub was removed in 2014-15 and to be fair so was the US 60 posting.

The 2021 traffic data log does still say 5 runs with 60 to 25th, so my initial thought was wrong and it is still eligible for this thread.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

IowaTraveler

In Iowa, I-380 is concurrent with US 218 for its first 16 miles and last 1 1/2 miles, with US 218 splitting off from I-380 at US 30 and rejoining I-380 at US 20.

Another example is US 218 and IA 27, with them being concurrent from Donnellson to Cedar Rapids and again from Cedar Falls to Floyd.

US 6 is on and off of I-80 across Iowa due to many sections of US 6 being decommissioned.

US 89

Looks like nobody has mentioned US 6 and US 50 yet. Those are concurrent from Ely NV to Delta UT, where they split only to reunite at Green River and continue overlapped to Grand Junction.

I-15 and US 89 overlap three times: once for a relatively short distance south of Salt Lake City, another short overlap north of Salt Lake City, and then again way up in Montana north of Great Falls.

Those are the only ones involving Utah to my knowledge. It is way more common in Colorado especially with interstates. US 6 jumps off I-70 and returns back to it several times. I think US 24 does that once as well in eastern Colorado. US 85 and US 87 do the same with I-25 (three times for 85, twice for 87).

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2023, 03:26:48 PM
Isn't it fairly common for a US Route to diverge from the Interstate for a while, then rejoin?  Such as US-40 and I-70 in multiple locations.
I-39 and US 51
I-80 and US 6

jp the roadgeek

NH/ME 9 and US 202.  Concurrent from Hillsborough to Concord, NH.  Meet again at the east end of I-393 in Pembroke and concurrent again until Barrington.  Then they meet a third time in Augusta, ME and are concurrent to Hampden.  And they even meet a 4th time along I-395 in Bangor. 

I-84 and US 6 have 3 different concurrencies in CT alone: through Danbury, Newtown-Southbury, and Farmington-Manchester. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KCRoadFan

US 20 and NY 5: first for a little bit west of Buffalo, then again for far longer, from Avon to Auburn.

LilianaUwU

It's probably either ON 418 or NY 418. In any case, ON 418 is the closest in the same country while NY 418 is the closest internationally.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

amroad17

I-95/US 17 concurrent for 11 miles north of Ridgeland, SC, then they are concurrent for 7 miles around Fredericksburg, VA.

Edit: Can add a small I-95/US 17 concurrency in Jacksonville, FL with this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

KY 9/KY 10 from Germantown to Maysville and again from Ribolt to the Grayson/Greenup AA Highway split east of Vanceburg.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

roadman65

US 60 on I-64 twice in VA.  Then again in Charleston, WV making 3 times for those two.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: LilianaUwU on January 05, 2023, 03:09:24 AM
It's probably either ON 418 or NY 418. In any case, ON 418 is the closest in the same country while NY 418 is the closest internationally.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32689
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 04, 2023, 12:55:10 PM
US-41 in Illinois between the Edens Spur and Russell Road (IL-WI border) is one that immediately comes to mind for me.

There's also I-90 and I-94 between Chicago and Madison if you want a longer one.

I can't think of any non-highway examples off the top of my head since Illinois is good about not having unnecessary concurrencies.

If by "non-highway" you mean "non-Interstate", then I agree.  I can't come up with one either.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 10:05:00 AM
US-41 in Illinois between the Edens Spur and Russell Road (IL-WI border) is one that immediately comes to mind for me.

There's also I-90 and I-94 between Chicago and Madison if you want a longer one.

I can't think of any non-highway examples off the top of my head since Illinois is good about not having unnecessary concurrencies.

If by "non-highway" you mean "non-Interstate", then I agree.  I can't come up with one either.

US 6 and US 34? (Only one of the two overlaps is in Illinois.)

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 05, 2023, 10:05:56 AM

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 10:05:00 AM

US 6 and US 34? (Only one of the two overlaps is in Illinois.)

Other than the Princeton—Sheffield stretch, where's the second 6/34 overlap in Illinois?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 11:03:02 AM
Other than the Princeton—Sheffield stretch, where's the second 6/34 overlap in Illinois?

The other one isn't in Illinois; it's in Nebraska and Colorado.

ilpt4u

US 60 & US 62 converge and diverge a few times between Charleston, MO and Paducah, KY

zzcarp

OH 2 is concurrent with I-90 from near Elyria to Westlake then again from near downtown Cleveland to Euclid.

OH 2 is also concurrent with US 6 near Bryan, again briefly in Huron, then again from Westlake to Cleveland.

US 6 and US 20 are concurrent in Fremont, OH, then again in Lakewood to downtown Cleveland, then again from East Cleveland to Euclid.

Here in Colorado, there's of course the US 40 multiplex with I-70 east and west of Denver, and multiple US 6 multiplexes and divergences with I-70 from Denver all the way to UT.

So many miles and so many roads

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 04, 2023, 04:45:28 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 04, 2023, 04:29:32 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 04, 2023, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 04, 2023, 03:47:13 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 04, 2023, 01:43:16 PM
-former one is VA 5 and US 60 in Richmond and Williamsburg (the latter being wrong-way), but VA 5 now ends at 60 in Richmond instead

I thought that VA 5 and US 60 were concurrent on Main St west to 25th St.  Was VA 5 truncated without us knowing?

I thought it had been officially truncated a few years ago when the Main/Dock roundabout was built, but I seem to have misremembered. It's certainly not posted westbound past the roundabout, and there are no postings anywhere that I can see at Main and Williamsburg. There are a couple trailblazers eastbound on Main, one at 25th and one at the curve just past Poe's Pub, but they look old enough to be pre-2003.

The VDOT ArcGIS map shows VA 5 ending at US 60, so you're right. VA 5 westbound used to be posted just east of Poe's Pub but that sign is gone now.

The CTB has stopped regularly documenting reroutes and truncations that don't result in fewer primary route-miles (as would the case be with VA 5 cut back on its US 60 concurrency).

The WB posting by Poe's Pub was removed in 2014-15 and to be fair so was the US 60 posting.

The arcgis map still shows VA 5 ending at 25th.  If you scroll way in so that the info box won't cover Main at 25th and click on VA 5 at the new traffic circle, the info box has several designations.  When you get to VA 5, you will notice that the segment still goes to 25th.

bwana39

SH-155 and US-271 do this first in Gilmer then from East Texas center east of Tyler into Tyler.

In Texas and LA US-90 and I-10 do it a lot.
Likewise with US-67 and I-30.

These interstates that loosely follow the track of a US-Highway are numerous and they diverge and merge many times.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

US 89

Quote from: 1 on January 05, 2023, 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 11:03:02 AM

The other one isn't in Illinois; it's in Nebraska and Colorado.

There are actually two 6/34 overlaps west of Illinois: one from Culbertson to Hastings in Nebraska, and one from Wiggins to Fort Morgan in Colorado (which is also concurrent with I-76).

jgb191

I know that I-10 and US-90 meet up in San Antonio then separate in Seguin, and then remerge in Katy, and re-split in Houston and rejoined in Beaumont, only to split just past the Sabine River just before Vinton, Louisiana.

I believe that US-281 and I-37 join forces near Three Rivers -- then for a couple of years, split up just south of Whitsett and rejoined just north of Campbellton (the original US-281 passed through both of those towns while I-37 was routed around both towns) until that section of the original US-281 was redesignated as US-281 Alternate -- and re-split near Pleasanton and rejoined at the I-37/I-410 stack interchange.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

michravera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2023, 12:50:17 PM
CA 1 and US 101 do this four times depending if you count unsigned concurrencies.

Your post is on point. I don't know, if it's the winner, but those concurrencies are honest. My comment, which is off OP's question entirely, is that CASR-33 seems to have honest concurrencies with a large number of other highways.

I'm not sure of the signing on the ground, but the maps look like CASR-14 and US-395 do some of what the OP had in mind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.