Lack of hexagonal signs in North America

Started by Quillz, January 07, 2023, 08:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Something I've noticed is North America seems to have very few signs that have a hexagonal shape. After squares, you'll see octagons. Australia has some hexagonal signs, but otherwise they seem uncommon, especially in North America. Is there a particular reason for this? Pentagon signs are used for county routes. Perhaps there's just not a clearly defined use case for them?

jeffandnicole

Construction signs in narrow medians had been allowed to be six-sided when necessary. Otherwise the MUTCD doesn't really have any option for them.

Big John

It is intended for the stop sign to be unique in the octagonal shape and is thought the hexagonal shape may confuse some people to it.

jakeroot

Hexagon shapes could be useful for route shields. Not sure if any place has used it for that purpose yet.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2023, 08:50:59 PM
Hexagon shapes could be useful for route shields. Not sure if any place has used it for that purpose yet.

The Autobahn.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 08, 2023, 08:53:37 PM

The Autobahn.

I was just referring to North America, which I think was the context of the thread (based on the OP).

Japan also uses hexagon route shields for their prefectural routes:

(image from Wikimedia Commons).

JoePCool14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 07, 2023, 09:04:10 AM
Construction signs in narrow medians had been allowed to be six-sided when necessary. Otherwise the MUTCD doesn't really have any option for them.

I thought the upcoming MUTCD was going to crack down on that practice, or similarly just using rectangles.

As stated earlier, there's no defined purpose for them. It would be interesting to see more US route shields based on hexagons.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

-- US 175 --

TX official state maps, as well as county maps shown in the Texas Almanac, show TX state loops and spurs with hexagonal shapes, but neither are actually signed in the field using hexagons.  The following map is an example illustrating Loop 456 in Jacksonville, TX, on Texas Almanac's county map of Cherokee County.
(click image for larger image)

CtrlAltDel

An idea might be to use a hexagon for an all-way stop, leaving the octagon for two-way stops.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hotdogPi

I would switch them around and rotate the hexagon 90°. An octagon has flat sides on the top, bottom, left, and right, while the hexagon only has two flat sides in the cardinal directions; the other two sides (top and bottom as you showed them) are pointy.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Scott5114

Oh, I just remembered, in driver's ed they gave us a sign test. One of the questions was "what does a six-sided sign mean?"

I was pretty sure it was a trick question, and I had just discovered MTR at the time, so I wrote "There is no six-sided sign in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices."

They marked it wrong. Apparently the answer they wanted was this thing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 09, 2023, 07:28:04 PM
Oh, I just remembered, in driver's ed they gave us a sign test. One of the questions was "what does a six-sided sign mean?"

I was pretty sure it was a trick question, and I had just discovered MTR at the time, so I wrote "There is no six-sided sign in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices."

Sounds like an overly-specific roadgeek would've written a question like that.

Scott5114

Clearly not, or they would have been familiar enough with the MUTCD to mark my answer correct. :P

MCRoads

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 09, 2023, 07:28:04 PM

What even is this? I have never seen this thing before.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

JoePCool14

Isn't that technically not a sign? I thought it was something to attach to the back of an Amish wagon or put out behind your stalled vehicle on the shoulder?

Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2023, 06:22:01 PM
I would switch them around and rotate the hexagon 90°. An octagon has flat sides on the top, bottom, left, and right, while the hexagon only has two flat sides in the cardinal directions; the other two sides (top and bottom as you showed them) are pointy.

I would rotate the hexagonal sign so that it would be flat on the top and bottom, but I would leave the hexagon for all-way stops. It goes back to the moniker of more corners equals more danger, and I think a stop sign where cross traffic doesn't stop should receive the higher number of corners, despite the fact that any old idiot can still blow right past a stop sign.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 09, 2023, 08:52:07 PM
I would rotate the hexagonal sign so that it would be flat on the top and bottom, but I would leave the hexagon for all-way stops. It goes back to the moniker of more corners equals more danger, and I think a stop sign where cross traffic doesn't stop should receive the higher number of corners, despite the fact that any old idiot can still blow right past a stop sign.

The way I described it, flat = stop, pointy = no stop.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Scott5114

Isn't that technically not a sign? I thought it was something to attach to the back of an Amish wagon or put out behind your stalled vehicle on the shoulder?

Thus why I answered the way I did. Here you're most likely to see them on the backs of tractors.

MCRoads: It's the slow-moving vehicle marker.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2023, 06:22:01 PM

I put the pointy end of the hexagon at the top for two reasons. One is that I thought it would allow the word "STOP" to be bigger, although it turns out that it doesn't matter that much, and two is that it allows for greater distinction between the two signs. I feel that if the hexagon had a flat side on top, it would blend too much with the octagon. As far as which shape goes with which type of situation, I followed, as JoePCool14 surmised, the idea that more corners equals more danger.

Anyway, here's the other option:

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Another idea I've had is to use a hexagon that isn't regular, such as the following, which is based off the slow vehicle marker.

As you can tell, it looks terrible, but I don't know if that's because the design is unpleasing or just my implementation of it:

Here's a slightly better version:

jakeroot

Wait, even better. Make the corners pointier to make it easier for the sign shop to make. Then flip it upside down so that "STOP" can be in the top half of the sign rather than bottom half.

Oh, wait....

Japanese Stop Sign with English by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Quillz

I think states that use the otherwise standard circle or squares for their state routes could switch to hexagons, similar to the Japanese example posted earlier. Make them a bit more distinct relative to the myriad of other circular or square road signs.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2023, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 08, 2023, 08:53:37 PM

The Autobahn.

I was just referring to North America, which I think was the context of the thread (based on the OP).

Japan also uses hexagon route shields for their prefectural routes:

Australian Metroads used a hexagonal shield, though those are all but defunct (except Brisbane). A couple pop up on old signage in Sydney.

kphoger

While I was looking into this, I ran across a "related" question:

Note the 37 upvotes...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.