News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PC run good

Started by JoePCool14, January 19, 2023, 08:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

MMM, it's not the fact you posted those specs. It's the fact that you called them the minimum.

On a semi-related note, in my personal opinion, Windows is terrible at anything beyond 1080p. For various reasons.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

I've never used Windows 11, but the decision to center the taskbar is a shocking bit of UI malpractice that demonstrates a sudden, appalling disregard for Fitts' Law (which Microsoft had previously leveraged going all the way back to Windows 95).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

I recently took some time and made a custom splash list for Minecraft, incorporating references from several aspects of my life. I had forgotten about the list for a while, but while working on getting Minecraft going on my new computer, I remembered it and enabled it.

Here is one of the splashes.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 24, 2023, 01:09:26 PMAlso, while we're on the subject, has anyone else thought Windows 11 is far more glitches than Windows 10? I almost regret upgrading.

I don't like to work for free as a Microsoft product tester, so I try to avoid buying a new computer within the first year or two after initial release of a new OS, and I don't upgrade the OS once I buy a computer, even if this means I am using the preloaded OS years after end of support.  I also update Windows manually at least a week after each Patch Tuesday instead of allowing it to update itself automatically.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 24, 2023, 06:40:54 PM
I've never used Windows 11, but the decision to center the taskbar is a shocking bit of UI malpractice that demonstrates a sudden, appalling disregard for Fitts' Law (which Microsoft had previously leveraged going all the way back to Windows 95).

There is a setting to switch back to a left-aligned taskbar...but the taskbar in general cannot be moved out of the bottom of the screen without a third-party program. Windows 11 looks generally okay if you can make the right tweaks.

MultiMillionMiler

The Taskbar wasn't even showing for a while after windows 11 installed. Also my TouchPad doesn't work when scrolling through the start menu and have to click manually. Windows 10 had none of these problems.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on January 24, 2023, 06:52:00 PM

There is a setting to switch back to a left-aligned taskbar...but the taskbar in general cannot be moved out of the bottom of the screen without a third-party program. Windows 11 looks generally okay if you can make the right tweaks.

If meeting generally accepted UI standards requires invoking a configuration switch, you've failed as a UI designer.

Nobody would hire an accountant that had to be explicitly told to follow tax law!

JoePCool14

I might be in the minority, but I actually don't mind the centered taskbar. I totally understand why you'd want it off to the left (the Start button), but I actually kinda like it.

ZLoth

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 24, 2023, 06:22:39 PMOn a semi-related note, in my personal opinion, Windows is terrible at anything beyond 1080p. For various reasons.

I've been using a 2K (1440p) G-Sync monitor with Windows since January, 2017. I'm not having issues. I enjoy having the extra screen real estate.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 24, 2023, 01:09:26 PMAlso, while we're on the subject, has anyone else thought Windows 11 is far more glitches than Windows 10? I almost regret upgrading.

I also held off on Windows 11 for a while until things stabilized partially because Windows 10 is going end-of-life in October, 2025, partially because my system is too old, and partially because Windows 10 licenses will no longer be sold directly by Microsoft after January 31st. However, if you are using the newest Raptor Lake processors, you will need to use the Windows 11 to take advantage of the Intel Thread Director. However, I did have to perform some tweaks to the install including:
I know I had a thread called Must-have utility programs for Windows where we shared our favorite programs.

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 24, 2023, 06:51:51 PMI don't upgrade the OS once I buy a computer, even if this means I am using the preloaded OS years after end of support.

That can be a problem. When I built my last computer in 2014, I got 8 GB of memory initially, but got a deal when I maxxed out my physical memory at 32GB... only to find out that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit maxxed out at 16GB. Fortunately, the following August, I took advantage of the free Windows 10 Home upgrade which supported a maximum of 128GB, and Windows 11 Home has the same 128GB limit.

But, hey, it's your computer, your choice.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

JoePCool14

Quote from: ZLoth on January 25, 2023, 09:14:10 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 24, 2023, 06:22:39 PMOn a semi-related note, in my personal opinion, Windows is terrible at anything beyond 1080p. For various reasons.

I've been using a 2K (1440p) G-Sync monitor with Windows since January, 2017. I'm not having issues. I enjoy having the extra screen real estate.

What's the DPI though? That's really what I meant when I wrote my post. Windows in high DPI mode isn't always great, depending on what you're trying to do.

Part of the issue for me was that I was using mixed DPIs. My Surface Pro is high DPI, but I often used it/switched with a 1080p monitor. It didn't handle the different monitor setup changes very well.

J N Winkler

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 24, 2023, 06:51:51 PMI don't upgrade the OS once I buy a computer, even if this means I am using the preloaded OS years after end of support.

That can be a problem. When I built my last computer in 2014, I got 8 GB of memory initially, but got a deal when I maxxed out my physical memory at 32GB... only to find out that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit maxxed out at 16GB. Fortunately, the following August, I took advantage of the free Windows 10 Home upgrade which supported a maximum of 128GB, and Windows 11 Home has the same 128GB limit.

But, hey, it's your computer, your choice.

Yup.  I tend to buy laptops, which come with fewer options for upgrading the hardware.  By not moving to a newer version of Windows, I avoid the instant drop in performance, compatibility issues with drivers, unwanted UI changes, and so on.

My Asus was Windows 10-capable, but I rejected the free upgrade and also prevented Windows from installing the reminder updates.  In light of all the problems people had with this version of the OS on legacy hardware, I feel I dodged a bullet.  I did have to accept it as the preloaded OS on my current machine, and that has not been without regret.  LAN folder sharing is a lot more tightly locked down in the Home version in 10 than in 7, for example.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 25, 2023, 10:17:56 AM

What's the DPI though? That's really what I meant when I wrote my post. Windows in high DPI mode isn't always great, depending on what you're trying to do.

Part of the issue for me was that I was using mixed DPIs. My Surface Pro is high DPI, but I often used it/switched with a 1080p monitor. It didn't handle the different monitor setup changes very well.

I'm aware of the issues you are referring to. I run Windows 11 at 3600x2252, at 350% scale. Windows itself runs without issue at that scale. But if I use a second monitor, Windows will drop the scale to match the other monitor (usually 100%). Everything becomes hilariously tiny on my 14" display.

Screenshot:

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on January 26, 2023, 02:24:20 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 25, 2023, 10:17:56 AM

I'm aware of the issues you are referring to. I run Windows 11 at 3600x2252, at 350% scale. Windows itself runs without issue at that scale. But if I use a second monitor, Windows will drop the scale to match the other monitor (usually 100%). Everything becomes hilariously tiny on my 14" display.

Screenshot:

I thought Windows let you set each monitor at its own scale. At least that's how it was on Windows 10. With my new setup, both of my monitors are 1080p, so I don't have to worry about this problem.

ZLoth

To be fair, my primary G-Sync monitor and my secondary regular monitor are both 2K monitors hooked up via Displayport.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 23, 2023, 06:33:34 PM
Here's what I think the minimum design specs for a personal laptop should be:

3 TB solid state drive
64 GB Ram w/ 16 GB dedicated video card
5.5 GHz, I-9, 16 core, Processor
16K ultraHD touchscreen display.

You seem to have misspelled "dream specs"....

SSOWorld

the taskbar icons can be left justified
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Bruce

SSD prices have been dropping quite a lot lately. One 2TB SATA unit that I ordered in November for $131 is now going for $116.

Scott5114

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 05, 2023, 04:10:14 PM

"The car explodes when you shift it into Park, but you can turn that off from the settings menu." Why was that an option in the first place, and why do you have to take an extra step to turn it off?

ZLoth

Quote from: Bruce on February 05, 2023, 04:54:39 PM
SSD prices have been dropping quite a lot lately. One 2TB SATA unit that I ordered in November for $131 is now going for $116.
Mmmm.... I prefer m.2 drives over SSDs. The transfer speeds are faster (although I doubt most people would notice), but it also avoids two cables floating around in a case that can interfere with air flow. I picked up a Solidigm P41 Plus Series 2TB for $130 + $10 Tax last November, and that drive is now $122 (both from NewEgg). Here is what CrystalDiskMark says:

For raw storage, nothing still compares to those HDDs. An 8 TB HDD now goes for $147-$160 per drive, while a 8 TB SSD starts at $640. (Again, both prices are from NewEgg). Yes, I have eight of those drives in a Network Attached Server (NAS) in a RAIDZ2 configuration, thus my effective storage is a little over 43TB. Great for file server where I store my system backups as well as a media server that I can access remotely.

CovalenceSTU

I paid $60 for a 500GB NVMe drive around 2 years ago, but I opened PCPartPicker for a look and 1TB ones are as little as $50 now. Looks like Moore's Law is proving to be an underestimation :)

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2023, 05:06:05 PM

"The car explodes when you shift it into Park, but you can turn that off from the settings menu." Why was that an option in the first place, and why do you have to take an extra step to turn it off?

I think you're being a little dramatic.

Do you actually click on the taskbar at all? Most power users likely use keyboard shortcuts for 99% of their interactivity with the taskbar. I know I did when I used Windows a lot.

Scott5114

Yes, I use the taskbar all the time. I normally have about 12 windows open, so Alt+Tabbing through them all takes way too long. (I also have four virtual desktops, which is a concept that doesn't exist on Windows. I'm sure there's a hotkey for those, but I'm too lazy to look it up.)

ZLoth

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on February 06, 2023, 03:57:39 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2023, 12:34:23 AM(I also have four virtual desktops, which is a concept that doesn't exist on Windows. I'm sure there's a hotkey for those, but I'm too lazy to look it up.)

Like.... this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/multiple-desktops-in-windows-36f52e38-5b4a-557b-2ff9-e1a60c976434#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

Or.... this? https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-multiple-desktops-in-windows-11

Good to see they have finally caught up with vtwm 0.1 from 1990...

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2023, 12:31:03 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2023, 05:06:05 PM

I think you're being a little dramatic.

Do you actually click on the taskbar at all? Most power users likely use keyboard shortcuts for 99% of their interactivity with the taskbar. I know I did when I used Windows a lot.

I tend to click stuff on the taskbar, including the start menu. But sometimes I'll use the keyboard too. It's a mix. As I said before, I don't mind the centered taskbar.

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on February 05, 2023, 11:22:04 PM
I paid $60 for a 500GB NVMe drive around 2 years ago, but I opened PCPartPicker for a look and 1TB ones are as little as $50 now. Looks like Moore's Law is proving to be an underestimation :)

I think that might be more of a supply-demand thing than anything else. Everyone was buying PCs in 2020 and 2021. By now, the demand has been trickling down. Those who needed a new PC or laptop to work from home, or whoever wanted one for fun at home, got one already. Except for me, I waited until now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.