Acronyms you don’t know the meaning of

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 25, 2023, 10:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Henry

Hopefully someone who works in the financial world will explain it better: What do FDIC (of which banks like Wells Fargo belong to) and SIPC (for a firm like Edward Jones) stand for?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US 89

FDIC is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which basically insures your money that you deposit in a bank in the event that the bank goes under.

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bulldog1979

Quote from: US 89 on January 26, 2023, 08:08:05 PM
FDIC is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which basically insures your money that you deposit in a bank in the event that the bank goes under.

The equivalent for credit unions is the NCUA, the National Credit Union Administration, although come credit unions may have other arrangements for deposit insurance.

wanderer2575

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 26, 2023, 10:24:54 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 26, 2023, 07:45:57 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 25, 2023, 05:33:34 PM
If nothing else (and sometimes one has to wonder), our government legislators are great at coming up with snappy acronyms for the names of proposed laws.  A prominent example is that enabler of security theater, the Patriot Act.  Which actually is the USA PATRIOT Act.  Which is an acronym for the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

My two favorite examples of that were both failed legislation.

First, the Better Oversight of Secondary Sales and Accountability in Concert Ticketing Act. A congressman from New Jersey introduced the "BOSS Act."

Second, a proposed statute that would have expanded the definition of presidential records to include social media posting: the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically For Engagement Act of 2017, also known as the "COVFEFE Act."
Just recently, a bill was proposed that is known as the Preventing Elected Leaders from Owning Securities and Investments Act, or PELOSI Act.

On the other side, there is (I swear I am not making any of these up):

•   Tax Returns Uniformly Made Public (TRUMP) Act
  •   Standardizing Testing and Accountability Before Large Elections Giving Electors Necessary Information for Unobstructed Selection (STABLE GENIUS) Act
  •   Stop Another Non-Truthful Office Seeker (SANTOS) Act
A few others I came across:
  •   Curbing Realistic Exploitative Electronic Pedophilic Robots (CREEPER) Act
  •   Electronic Messaging and Individual Location (EMAIL) Privacy Act
  •   Bridge and Road Investment and Dedicated Fund Guaranteed Enforcement (BRIDGE) Reform Act
  •   Concerns Over Nations Funding University Campus Institutions in the United States (CONFUCIUS) Act
And the most ironic of all (I think this was a deliberate jab at all the ridiculousness):
  •   Accountability and Congressional Responsibility on Naming Your Motions (ACRONYM) Act

webny99

The interesting thing about this thread is that it's pretty hard to actively think of any acronyms I don't know the meaning of currently. If I encounter a new one and care to know what it means, I'll just look it up right then.

That said, when unfamiliar ones come up in the future, I'll try to remember to share them here.

kkt

Quote from: bulldog1979 on January 26, 2023, 10:38:58 PM
Quote from: US 89 on January 26, 2023, 08:08:05 PM

The equivalent for credit unions is the NCUA, the National Credit Union Administration, although come credit unions may have other arrangements for deposit insurance.

There's also SLIC, Savings and Loan Insurance Corp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.