News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

🛣 Headlines About California Highways – March 2023

Started by cahwyguy, April 01, 2023, 01:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

It's been a wet winter, hasn't it. Really really wet. Wet enough that road closures due to flooding have become the norm, and hillsides are slipping and sliding. The rain has also delayed construction work; and that has gotten me into arguments on Nextdoor about the pace of completion for the Reseda exit off of Route 118 (read the comments). It appears that loads of people don't understand road projects and how road construction works, and just want to blame ... someone. Welcome to Nextdoor.

But on the plus side: I completed the first round of updates to the California Highways site for 2023, and that included loads of planning maps uncovered by Joel Windmiller. As always, if you have interesting history on a route you think might work for the pages, send it to me. I also changed my synchronization method between browsers, and that led to a lot more articles being saved. So there are loads of headlines this month. Note that, with respect to storm damage: I'm less interested in flooding and hillside slips unless they create damage that takes a long time to heal (such as Route 1). I'm more interested in major sinkholes, as that will require big-time SHOPP funding to fix.

The podcast continues. As of the last episode, we've decided that the fight for interviews is slowing things down. If we can get them, we'll generally release them as a bonus episode. I'd say that should shorten our episodes, but the last one was a long one anyway. What amazed me more was the discussion it engendered: Never has a podcast episode announcement started such discussion. It appears some people really hate the Interstates for taking away their US highways, or the hate some of AASHTO's numbering choices. I try to stay neutral on those subjects: I try to report what is, and why it is that way. I can't change what has been done, and I'm not in the position to change these things in the future.

OK. You should be caught up now. Here are the headlines that I found about California's highways for March:

Ready, set, discuss.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

J N Winkler

I figure I might as well mention that this past month, Caltrans made a major change to how it distributes plans and proposals online.

From the start of Web availability circa 2000 to 2019, the plans and proposals could be found in Web folders that had a standard structure and could be freely navigated.  In 2019, apparently in response to new accessibility requirements implemented that year, they were pulled behind a login wall and a logged-in user selected each file individually from a drop-down option box to download.  Last month, Caltrans revamped the download pages so that the user now selects files by ticking off checkboxes; the server packs them into a single zip file that it then offers for download.  Through both of these changes, the standard folder structure has been preserved.

The checkboxes for plans on the download pages are also now marked as requiring concurrence with a NDA.  When the files selected for download include plans, the user is taken to a Web page that says (I paraphrase) "You have been marked in our database as having downloaded plans for this project" or "You are already in our database as having downloaded plans for this project.  We won't add your name again" (as applicable).  Then there is a button to click to initiate download.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cahwyguy

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 03, 2023, 01:17:56 PM
I figure I might as well mention that this past month, Caltrans made a major change to how it distributes plans and proposals online.

From the start of Web availability circa 2000 to 2019, the plans and proposals could be found in Web folders that had a standard structure and could be freely navigated.  In 2019, apparently in response to new accessibility requirements implemented that year, they were pulled behind a login wall and a logged-in user selected each file individually from a drop-down option box to download.  Last month, Caltrans revamped the download pages so that the user now selects files by ticking off checkboxes; the server packs them into a single zip file that it then offers for download.  Through both of these changes, the standard folder structure has been preserved.

The checkboxes for plans on the download pages are also now marked as requiring concurrence with a NDA.  When the files selected for download include plans, the user is taken to a Web page that says (I paraphrase) "You have been marked in our database as having downloaded plans for this project" or "You are already in our database as having downloaded plans for this project.  We won't add your name again" (as applicable).  Then there is a button to click to initiate download.

The new accessibility requirements are great in some ways, but they are a pain in what has been taken offline or is no longer available (including much historical material). Although I don't go through plans and procedures (especially if they require an NDA, as then I wouldn't put the information on my site unless it was marked non-proprietary), having the link would be useful.

Another useful link I posted in another thread was the Caltrans GIS service: https://gisdata-caltrans.opendata.arcgis.com/ Go to the Highway datasets. The SHN Lines set are vectors for each segment of a state route in the GIS database -- it makes finding U routes, etc, much easier. The SHN Tenths is the data behind the postmile tool, but you don't have to guess what is a state highway.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Max Rockatansky

I'm not getting how demolishing freeways like I-980 is supposed to fix social inequities that happened to almost out of living memory?  It sure seems that nobody living seems to recall how important I-980 was after the Cypress Viaduct collapsed during the Loma Prieta Earthquake?  I'm not understanding how New Urbanism simply being rebranded as social justice makes it something different?  To me it just seems like bottlenecking redundant infrastructure which will likely become necessary again.

Regarding Tulare Lake, much of the water is pooling near Corcoran.  In theory as that water continues to accumulate from runoff from the Sierra Nevada Mountains it should make for one hell of a view point on CA 41 at Kettleman City.

Regarding CA 198 west of Coalinga, for me they can't open soon enough.  My monthly worth trip to Monterey has been made miserable by having to slog through 152 and 156.  156 even flooded and closed briefly last month north of Hollister.  I'll be trying out CA 46 this month just to take something less haggard than the 156-152 corridors. 

SeriesE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 04, 2023, 12:04:14 AM
I'm not getting how demolishing freeways like I-980 is supposed to fix social inequities that happened to almost out of living memory?  It sure seems that nobody living seems to recall how important I-980 was after the Cypress Viaduct collapsed during the Loma Prieta Earthquake?  I'm not understanding how New Urbanism simply being rebranded as social justice makes it something different?  To me it just seems like bottlenecking redundant infrastructure which will likely become necessary again. 

I agree. I-980 is even below grade in most of Oakland with lots of cross street connectivity so I don't get what they mean by "dividing the neighborhood."

Quillz

Regarding Tulare Lake, much of the water is pooling near Corcoran.  In theory as that water continues to accumulate from runoff from the Sierra Nevada Mountains it should make for one hell of a view point on CA 41 at Kettleman City.

Regarding CA 198 west of Coalinga, for me they can't open soon enough.  My monthly worth trip to Monterey has been made miserable by having to slog through 152 and 156.  156 even flooded and closed briefly last month north of Hollister.  I'll be trying out CA 46 this month just to take something less haggard than the 156-152 corridors. 

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff relating to I-980 is more or less just PR speak. I would have to agree. I live in the SF Valley and here it's all about how you're either a "west of the 405" or "east of the 405" person. While it's true there are some socioeconomic differences in play, these existed long before the 405 ever did. In reality it makes no difference. If the 405 was eliminated, you're going to have the same issues. It seems like here, the 980 is serving a similar role. Trying to bring up issues that no doubt exist, but not because of a highway.

cahwyguy

Quote from: Quillz on April 04, 2023, 05:59:30 AM
I would have to agree. I live in the SF Valley...

Just a quick side note: I'm also in the SF Valley (Northridge). Drop me a note (faigin -at cahighways -dot org), and perhaps we might get together sometime.

skluth

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff relating to I-980 is more or less just PR speak. I would have to agree. I live in the SF Valley and here it's all about how you're either a "west of the 405" or "east of the 405" person. While it's true there are some socioeconomic differences in play, these existed long before the 405 ever did. In reality it makes no difference. If the 405 was eliminated, you're going to have the same issues. It seems like here, the 980 is serving a similar role. Trying to bring up issues that no doubt exist, but not because of a highway.

It would be easier and as effective to cap I-980. A cap between 11th and 12th and another between 17th and 18th would do wonders. Even better would be to cap it entirely between 11th and 18th, eliminating the ramps that are already crammed into there. Either will connect the areas without removing the highway which is heavily used.

A question I have to ask is did the development east of I-980 happen because it was separated from a poorer area? The areas around the Darst-Webbe housing project in St Louis redeveloped in part because I-55 separated it from Soulard and the never built I-755 left a large wasteland between it and Lafayette Square. (Eventually Truman Parkway was built to fill the space.) I'm not sure either area would be the thriving neighborhoods they are today had there been no perceived barrier to Darst-Webbe. Only the Peabody housing project is still in the neighborhood, but it's a low-rise development and not the high-rise disasters like the imploded Pruitt-Igoe. Darst-Webbe was replaced with a bunch of new development (yes, the dreaded gentrification) but nobody on any part of the political spectrum is complaining the old projects are gone.

pderocco

The upgrade to route 58 between Bakersfield and Tehachapi will be welcome. I'm especially heartened that it will include a proper interchange with 223. I would expect a trumpet E of the bridge, given that the angle of the roads is congenial to the flow of most of the 223 traffic. The land N of 58 can't be that expensive.

I presume that the EB acceleration lane they're talking about at Bealville Rd is for people turning left out of Bealville Rd, not merging from Bena Rd. That would be helpful, but it would still be a scary intersection. I know, I've turned there a few times. The only thing making it appear safe in the stats is the extremely low traffic counts. Sooner or later, they'll have to build a diamond there. Heck, they did it for Keene, and that doesn't see much traffic.

The climbing lanes are the most immediate need. But there's also 223, where you can frequently find yourself behind a truck going 25. Maybe that needs a climbing lane, too. Or maybe truck traffic on it will drop when the Centennial Corridor makes 58 a more attractive alternative off I-5.

skluth

One more thing about the I-980 article; the lie in article's opening paragraph. It states, "... proposals to eliminate Interstate 980, the relatively little-used highway ...". When a reporter outright lies, stating a highway with an AADT of over 90K to over 140K, that reporter has lost any credibility. It may be relatively less-used than I-580 or I-880. But less-used is different than little-used.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think the City of Oakland will seriously try to tear down 980? And if they do, how might the neighborhood react?

Max Rockatansky

Thing is it wouldn't be Oakland that would tear I-980 down, it would be the State.  Considering stuff like the CA 77 freeway isn't up for demolition I take as fairly telling that Caltrans is just going to call removing I-980 unfeasible and/or having too much of a damaging impact.

Quillz

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 10, 2023, 04:44:48 PM
Does anyone think the City of Oakland will seriously try to tear down 980? And if they do, how might the neighborhood react?
No, I don't think it will seriously happen. It will be a talking point for a long time, though. As I posted earlier, I wouldn't doubt for a second that are plenty of legitimate societal issues that need discussing, but I don't think a highway existing or not existing is going to change that.

Just like CA-99 will be "Interstate 9" any day now. I'll believe that when it happens.

Occidental Tourist

Not advocating one way or another for the 980, but there was a fairly thriving black community in West Oakland before the 980 was built, and the areas on either side of where the 980 was built was a mixture of mostly urban with some suburban.  By contrast, either side of where the 405 was built in the Valley was a mixture of farmland and some housing tracts. Running a freeway down the middle of that section of the Valley had different impacts than running a freeway through an already-developed urbanized black neighborhood.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.