News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Maine

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/bangor/2015/02/25/car-pile-up-i-95/23985905/

Yikes! NBC of Portland mentioned this big mishap that closed I-95 North in Bangor, the morning of February 25th.

sipes23

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 25, 2015, 04:23:13 PM
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/bangor/2015/02/25/car-pile-up-i-95/23985905/

Yikes! NBC of Portland mentioned this big mishap that closed I-95 North in Bangor, the morning of February 25th.

That even made the WGN-TV news in Chicago. It looked awful.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.132431,-67.783568,3a,75y,70.3h,84.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx91Dk95HwmXj1C1OFfDrjA!2e0

Can someone tell me if this building in the picture adjacent to the asphalt area is the original customs facility back when US 2 ended at the US border?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

amroad17

Looks like it could have been.  Or... it could have been a gas station.    :hmmm:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on February 27, 2015, 08:09:02 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.132431,-67.783568,3a,75y,70.3h,84.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx91Dk95HwmXj1C1OFfDrjA!2e0

Can someone tell me if this building in the picture adjacent to the asphalt area is the original customs facility back when US 2 ended at the US border?

Yes, someone can: http://usends.com/00-09/002e/002e.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

amroad17

Question answered.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

KEVIN_224

Outsides of businesses...why are there TWO Maine route 25s? Business ME 25 was the end of Brighton Avenue near the Westbrook town line.

HOLY CRAP! Is this leftover eyesore from the 1970s? Look at the backing for the old Maine radio station!  :wow:

Westbrook needs all of these welcome signs...

Because the shrubbery all but obscured the MAINE DOT town line sign!

Walking over I-95, I couldn't quite tell what construction this was referring to.  :hmmm:

yakra

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 12, 2015, 08:52:11 PM
Outsides of businesses...why are there TWO Maine route 25s? Business ME 25 was the end of Brighton Avenue near the Westbrook town line.
Not sure what you mean here. There's a business route and a mainline route. (Or... am I missing something?)

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 12, 2015, 08:52:11 PMWalking over I-95, I couldn't quite tell what construction this was referring to.  :hmmm:
There appears to be something going on at the west end of the Falmouth Spur AKA unsigned I-495. I see it from the Blackstrap Road overpass occasionally, but almost never need to use this part of the Turnpike itself. So *what* exactly said construction is, I can't really say. There are similar advisories posted on I-295 approaching the Falmouth Spur.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/06/15/maine-transportation-department-starts-project-to-improve-i-295-ramps-in-portland/

The Press Herald website only lets you read 10 free articles a month. This is basically about making safety improvements with Exit 6 of I-295 (Forest Avenue) in Portland, near Deering Oaks Park and USM-Portland.

There was also a different article about residents making noise complaints about I-295 in Freeport, after the Maine DOT made work on a massive tree cutting and removal project, etc.

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/07/17/report-maine-turnpike-could-save-20-million-with-new-york-toll-plaza-site/

Yet another article about the Maine Turnpike toll plaza being relocated a distance north of the existing on in York.

(The P.P.H. site does the pay-window thing after 10 "free" articles a month. You've been warned!)

The Nature Boy

I find it interesting that the Maine DOT attempts to maximize toll revenue by routing people along I-95 between Portland and Augusta. The control city for I-95 at north end of I-295 is Portland and at the south end Augusta. I imagine that only out of towners would be fooled by this and would think that I-95 is the most efficient way to get between the two locations.

yakra

IIRC, the MTA experienced a small but noticeable uptick in revenue after the Interstates were renumbered in 2004.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

jwolfer

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 18, 2015, 01:19:21 PM
I find it interesting that the Maine DOT attempts to maximize toll revenue by routing people along I-95 between Portland and Augusta. The control city for I-95 at north end of I-295 is Portland and at the south end Augusta. I imagine that only out of towners would be fooled by this and would think that I-95 is the most efficient way to get between the two locations.
That is why i95 is incomplete in NJ

froggie

And here I thought 95 was incomplete in NJ because of a combination of Princeton NIMBY's and a slowpoke PTC.

DeaconG

Somebody had a rough night last night.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

mrsman

Well, there are enough people who simply follow the numbered designation that few would go around even to avoid a toll and even when the alternate way is not much longer in time.

One example is I-295 in NJ compared to NJTP.

Sykotyk

There's enough people who get directions somewhere slightly long-distance and are near I-95 and know their destination includes "I95 north, exit 182, bla bla" and won't even consider that I-95 might not be the most efficient route between the two points. NYC to Bangor?  Probably 684/84/90/290/495/95/295/95. But, I'm sure there's enough non-GPS drivers that took I-95 straight through Providence and the 128 around Boston because it is what it is.

I had a friend drive west to Kansas City once on I-70 and stayed on I-70 through St. Louis, despite I-270 (and even I-370) shortening the route and/or just making it more enjoyable than the overloaded stretch of I-70 by the airport. And that was before the new bridge.

He had done it a few times before I told him about I-270, he insisted that the loop would be longer as it would go out and around the city and it was easier to drive 'straight through'. It wasn't until I got him to actually look at a map that he realized his mistake.

ixnay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 17, 2015, 11:02:13 PM
http://www.pressherald.com/2015/07/17/report-maine-turnpike-could-save-20-million-with-new-york-toll-plaza-site/

Yet another article about the Maine Turnpike toll plaza being relocated a distance north of the existing on in York.

(The P.P.H. site does the pay-window thing after 10 "free" articles a month. You've been warned!)

Literally twice as generous as the Cumberland (MD) Times-News or the Delaware County (PA) Daily Times.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 19, 2015, 06:30:18 PM
There's enough people who get directions somewhere slightly long-distance and are near I-95 and know their destination includes "I95 north, exit 182, bla bla" and won't even consider that I-95 might not be the most efficient route between the two points. NYC to Bangor?  Probably 684/84/90/290/495/95/295/95. But, I'm sure there's enough non-GPS drivers that took I-95 straight through Providence and the 128 around Boston because it is what it is.

I had a friend drive west to Kansas City once on I-70 and stayed on I-70 through St. Louis, despite I-270 (and even I-370) shortening the route and/or just making it more enjoyable than the overloaded stretch of I-70 by the airport. And that was before the new bridge.

He had done it a few times before I told him about I-270, he insisted that the loop would be longer as it would go out and around the city and it was easier to drive 'straight through'. It wasn't until I got him to actually look at a map that he realized his mistake.

There are people who actually drive I-95 from NYC to Maine?

You don't even need a map to realize how inefficient that is. A quick look at a map shows that I-95's east-west run through Connecticut results in a longer trip.

J Route Z

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 19, 2015, 07:07:10 PM

You don't even need a map to realize how inefficient that is. A quick look at a map shows that I-95's east-west run through Connecticut results in a longer trip.

Any way to get to Maine is long. Just watch out for moose crossing and you'll be fine!

OracleUsr

I was curious about something.  I remember in the early 80's at (I think it was) the York Toll Plaza on I-95 Northbound, they had signs over the toll plazas that would flash a message of some kind.

Anyone remember this and know what the messages were?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Zeffy

I-95 is the most well known highway (probably in the country). Of course they are going to follow I-95.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: J Route Z on July 19, 2015, 07:24:25 PM

Any way to get to Maine is long. Just watch out for moose crossing and you'll be fine!

Moose jokes aren't as funny if you've been in a car that was a few feet from hitting one on US 4 south of Fort Edward, NY several years ago
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2015, 11:27:05 PM
Quote from: J Route Z on July 19, 2015, 07:24:25 PM

Moose jokes aren't as funny if you've been in a car that was a few feet from hitting one on US 4 south of Fort Edward, NY several years ago

When I went on a camping trip in NH a few years back, we had to stop and let a family of them cross the street. They're no joke.

And granted, following I-95 only loses you maybe 30 minutes or so, assuming you make it through Providence and Boston with no issues. It's not a terrible decision by any means. I'm just surprised that more people don't look at a map and realize that it's easier to take a shortcut.

yakra

Back in 2003, before I was a roadgeek who'd committed the route to memory, a blown fuse took my interior light out of commission, preventing me from reading my written directions. So for simplicity, I stayed on I-95 all the way from I-278 to Scarborough.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.