News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Black State/Interstate Shields

Started by Quirksen, November 29, 2012, 03:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirksen

Hello All,

Wondered if anybody has seen these two Black background, white lettered State and Interstate Highway Shields(links below)? These two are located in the Riverside,Ca area just miles from my house. I have not read or seen any State regulations approving of this color combo, so how would the state get reimbursement for the signs?...unless FED provided? and what do they designate? They really had to go out of there way for the Black State shield as the White Shield outline and "60" would just overlay the green sign background, as is typical. And yes I have seen them in person and they are black. TX

http://anationinperil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Black-Highway-Signs-001.jpg
http://anationinperil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Black-Highway-Signs-0021.jpg

myosh_tino

The advance guide sign for I-40 on eastbound northbound I-15 in Barstow also sports a black and white interstate shield.  I thought I posted a photo of it here but I can't find it off-hand.  If I can find the pic, I'll definitely post it here.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

1995hoo

How about these odd ones that used to be located on 14th Street NW at Madison Drive in DC? They're erroneous all the way around, as obviously the roads in question are US routes (the "DC-US" is a peculiar thing DC has done for years; the second image below is more typical). Frankly I think someone at their DOT was just confused, as at around the same time these showed up they also put up a full-color I-29 shield on a BGS on the E Street Expressway (obviously should have been a US shield as well).

Both pictures from AARoads.com.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

myosh_tino

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 29, 2012, 03:52:46 PM
The advance guide sign for I-40 on eastbound northbound I-15 in Barstow also sports a black and white interstate shield.  I thought I posted a photo of it here but I can't find it off-hand.  If I can find the pic, I'll definitely post it here.
Found it!

If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kkt

Quote from: Quirksen on November 29, 2012, 03:36:59 PM
http://anationinperil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Black-Highway-Signs-001.jpg

The CA-60 shield looks dark green, not black, to me.  Maybe it's just a couple of shades darker green than it's supposed to be.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Quirksen on November 29, 2012, 03:36:59 PM
Hello All,

Wondered if anybody has seen these two Black background, white lettered State and Interstate Highway Shields(links below)? These two are located in the Riverside,Ca area just miles from my house. I have not read or seen any State regulations approving of this color combo, so how would the state get reimbursement for the signs?...unless FED provided? and what do they designate? They really had to go out of there way for the Black State shield as the White Shield outline and "60" would just overlay the green sign background, as is typical. And yes I have seen them in person and they are black. TX

http://anationinperil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Black-Highway-Signs-0021.jpg

There is one on I-15 North at Barstow Road for I-40 too.  I always thought it was wear on the color on the sign.  I could have swonr that the I-10 one was red and blue at one point.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Interstate Trav on November 29, 2012, 11:02:38 PM
There is one on I-15 North at Barstow Road for I-40 too.  I always thought it was wear on the color on the sign.  I could have swonr that the I-10 one was red and blue at one point.
Yep, I posted a photo of it in my last post.  (Just noticed that I said "eastbound I-15" when it should have been "northbound I-15"...  :banghead:)

Anyways, I don't think this shield was ever red and blue.  Typically the colors on the shield tend to fade rather than turn black.

Quirksen

Thanks for all of the responses.......does anybody want to speculate on why these shields are Black instead of Green? Like I said, I've seen them in person(Definitely Black) and at least one of the source photos was seen on Google Maps as previously being Green....and that's 3? East or West Shields but no North or South yet?........ Thanks y'all

Alps

Quote from: Quirksen on November 30, 2012, 11:53:45 AM
Thanks for all of the responses.......does anybody want to speculate on why these shields are Black instead of Green? Like I said, I've seen them in person(Definitely Black) and at least one of the source photos was seen on Google Maps as previously being Green....and that's 3? East or West Shields but no North or South yet?........ Thanks y'all
Well, plans are in black and white. I have no idea how a sign manufacturer wouldn't know that Interstate shields are red and blue, but when you see the plans and you're that stupid, you just copy what's on there without reading the colors. That really takes a special kind of stupid, though, but then again look at some of the other errors we've been seeing, especially lately.

kkt

Was there a convention at one time that the full colored shields would only appear on the route itself, and the "to" route markers would be in black and white?  Or maybe it was a way to save money putting two additional colors on the sign.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: kkt on November 30, 2012, 06:31:06 PM

Or maybe it was a way to save money putting two additional colors on the sign.

Well considering that there's no other black on the sign either I can't imagine it being any less expensive than adding red or blue would be (though it might be cheaper than both red and blue).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

they have all faded to black.  as you can see on your second photo, the shield for 10 WEST is half blue and half black, while the 10 EAST has just a tiny amount of blue on it.

Caltrans district 8 seems to have trouble with this.  I know of some "black" guide signs along CA-18 in Victorville which suffer from this problem as well.

as for the DC-US, that is just DC using a 1950s standard well into the 80s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Was there a convention at one time that the full colored shields would only appear on the route itself, and the "to" route markers would be in black and white?  Or maybe it was a way to save money putting two additional colors on the sign.

no.  my 1957 interstate manual (as far as I know, the first ever published spec) mandates the full red, white, and blue for all shields.

jake@aaroads.com

Henry

Oh, the strange things they do...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

Was there a convention at one time that the full colored shields would only appear on the route itself, and the "to" route markers would be in black and white?

Prior to 1964 (when the entire road was completed), signs at some entrances to the (at the time) stand-alone sections of the Capital Beltway were signed with "shields" with a white (reflective) outline around white numerals "495" on a green  background.

But those were replaced with "spec" shields not long after the entire road was completed in 1964.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Quillz

Granted, I don't think those white on black shields look half bad. Wouldn't be a bad replacement for white on green, although I guess black would fade far quicker than any other color.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 03, 2012, 04:39:57 PM
Prior to 1964 (when the entire road was completed), signs at some entrances to the (at the time) stand-alone sections of the Capital Beltway were signed with "shields" with a white (reflective) outline around white numerals "495" on a green  background.

like this?

this appears in Iowa fairly frequently, though I think it is obsoleted as of five or six years ago.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 06, 2012, 09:27:25 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 03, 2012, 04:39:57 PM

like this?

this appears in Iowa fairly frequently, though I think it is obsoleted as of five or six years ago.

Yes, exactly like that.  I have not personally seen one of those since the 1960's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Scott5114

Staten is expressway? Good for Staten, I guess.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

Seeing these outlines, I'm a little surprised Connecticut doesn't do them that way, since they do US and CT routes like that on BGSes.  I guess Interstates are special.

Quillz

Can't find a pic of it at the moment, but there are a few black 210 shields on both the 405 and 5. However, the signs themselves are pretty old, so it may be faded colors more than contractor error.

Exit58

Quote from: Quillz on July 16, 2016, 01:50:44 PM
Can't find a pic of it at the moment, but there are a few black 210 shields on both the 405 and 5. However, the signs themselves are pretty old, so it may be faded colors more than contractor error.

Quite a few entrance assemblies for SR 210 are turning black now too. I distinctly remember them all being green when posted. A lot are the 'neutered' type with no state name, and they are oddly shaped too: more like a rectangle with rounded bottom edges vs an actual spade.

FWIW, I drove by that same I-40 shield at Barstow Rd/SR 247 just today and it's actually not completely black. The 'Interstate' portion had discolored to a dark red and the green to black.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.