News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridges over Islands

Started by webny99, January 31, 2021, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Bruce on February 03, 2021, 01:37:05 AM
The doomed West Seattle Bridge (high rise structure) passes over Harbor Island without providing access. To reach the island, you have to use the Spokane Street Bridge (aka the low bridge).

That setup has quite a bit in common with the Burlington Bay Skyway, which connects Burlington and Hamilton, ON. They both have a surface route and a "skyway" route, and they're both in heavy shipping/industry areas, the main difference being that the Ontario example is two peninsulas split by a channel rather than an actual island. The surface route, Eastport Drive, also has a liftbridge to allow ships to pass through.

Rothman

NY 5 crosses the Isle of the Cayugas between Schenectady and Scotia, NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2021, 05:54:21 PM

That's a good one, and I just found another along the Mohawk River: NY 167 over Moss Island in Little Falls. So we're up to six for NY now.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on February 03, 2021, 06:08:23 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2021, 05:54:21 PM

That's a good one, and I just found another along the Mohawk River: NY 167 over Moss Island in Little Falls. So we're up to six for NY now.
Don't forget NY 7 over Adams Island and Starbuck Island when crossing the Hudson.

Speaking of Isle of the Cayugas... I've actually been on that island, from NY 5 no less.  One of the things they do for new employee training is have us shadow a bridge inspection.  While we were over the island, someone (either the person who operated the equipment or the safety spotter) needed to take a break, so they lowered us down to the island while that happened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ARMOURERERIC

31st Street Bridge Pittsburgh over Herrs Island

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on February 03, 2021, 09:03:17 PM
Don't forget NY 7 over Adams Island and Starbuck Island when crossing the Hudson.

Sure enough. It was dark both times I've been on that segment of NY 7, so I guess if I knew those islands were there, I'd forgotten.

SteveG1988

I-78 over the Schuylkill river in Hamburg crosses over an island.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kphoger

Quote from: M3100 on January 31, 2021, 04:53:40 PM
Roosevelt Island east of Manhattan in New York City ... There is also a tramway ...

That was a great episode of White Collar.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2021, 07:17:00 PM
Roosevelt Island east of Manhattan in New York City ... There is also a tramway ...

Sylvester Stallone was filmed in the tramway car stuck over the streets below in Nightsticks.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jay8g

The SR 520 Bridge in Seattle passes over Foster Island without touching down -- the old route did briefly run on the surface here, but the new bridge is elevated the whole way.

The US 197 bridge over the Columbia River (The Dalles Bridge) passes over several small islands, which are probably related at least in part to The Dalles Dam just upstream.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on February 06, 2021, 10:46:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2021, 07:17:00 PM

Sylvester Stallone was filmed in the tramway car stuck over the streets below in Nightsticks.
Yes - I rode that tram with my son for the first time about a month ago out to Roosevelt Island and I was thinking about that scene in Nighthawks where Rutger Hauer holds people hostage on the tram.  Good movie...

ErmineNotyours

Interstate 205 does touch down on Government Island, Oregon, but it has no legal access.  The state had to post signs on the ped/bike path saying Pedestrians, bicycles must stay on bike path.  Can you imagine the outdoors-men dashing across freeway lanes with a fishing pole in their hands trying to get to the island?

webny99

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 11, 2021, 07:28:43 PM
Interstate 205 does touch down on Government Island, Oregon, but it has no legal access.  The state had to post signs on the ped/bike path saying Pedestrians, bicycles must stay on bike path.  Can you imagine the outdoors-men dashing across freeway lanes with a fishing pole in their hands trying to get to the island?

That's a really unique situation. It looks like there are trails elsewhere on the island, but with no bike, foot or car access.. it must be accessed by boat only?

Bruce

The Kurushima Kaikyō Bridge over Japan's Inland Sea has a toll booth on Umashima Island, but no connections for cars. It does, however, have connections to its bike path.

MCRoads

Quote from: Bruce on February 26, 2021, 05:15:08 PM
The Kurushima Kaikyō Bridge over Japan's Inland Sea has a toll booth on Umashima Island, but no connections for cars. It does, however, have connections to its bike path.

That doesn't appear to be a toll for automobiles, just for bikes/peds. It also appears there is a bus stop there, interesting...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: webny99 on February 12, 2021, 09:07:02 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 11, 2021, 07:28:43 PM

That's a really unique situation. It looks like there are trails elsewhere on the island, but with no bike, foot or car access.. it must be accessed by boat only?

Yes.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.