News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 12, 2009, 01:48:33 AM
alas, the oldest shadow is not that of a cutout ... just looks to be a larger square.

as for US-127, there is a US-123 as well in Washington.

Mt Rainier National Park should be served by a US Highway!  It once was, when US 410 was around, although I guess US 12 passes close enough to count.  That US 123 must be fairly new, since I didn't see it the last time I went through those parts.

Duke87

This one's been in place for a good 20 years at least:

The "TO" should go with 295, not 695.

Also, it's a diagrammatic on a major freeway... in button copy.

Yup, it's a real die hard all right!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

D-Dey65

I showed you that US 52 sign on Pasco CR 583 & Florida SR 52, and those incorrect cardinal direction banners on I-75 at Exit 309. Now I'm going to show you one of many signs placed southbound along I-75 and the Suncoast Parkway.

There's no way in hell that you'll reach St. Petersburg before you reach Tampa.

Terry Shea

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 19, 2009, 08:08:00 AM
I showed you that US 52 sign on Pasco CR 583 & Florida SR 52, and those incorrect cardinal direction banners on I-75 at Exit 309. Now I'm going to show you one of many signs placed southbound along I-75 and the Suncoast Parkway.

There's no way in hell that you'll reach St. Petersburg before you reach Tampa.

Ah, but the sign is telling us that it's 52 miles to I-275 (which takes us to St Pete) not to St Pete itself.  Probably would have been better to leave any city designation off from that part of the sign though to avoid any confusion.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on October 19, 2009, 01:18:30 AM
This one's been in place for a good 20 years at least:

The "TO" should go with 295, not 695.

Also, it's a diagrammatic on a major freeway... in button copy.

Yup, it's a real die hard all right!
What's wrong with that? :hmmm:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

rawmustard

Quote from: Terry Shea on October 19, 2009, 09:32:26 AM
Ah, but the sign is telling us that it's 52 miles to I-275 (which takes us to St Pete) not to St Pete itself.  Probably would have been better to leave any city designation off from that part of the sign though to avoid any confusion.

But you don't reach the airport before reaching I-275 (as that route is what gets you to TPA). This is only an educated guess, but they may have calculated the distance to Tampa via I-4, which is silly since I-275 is more direct. The difference between the airport and St. Pete looks to be correct given the length of the Howard Frankland Bridge.

agentsteel53

nice reuse of the exit tab!  :-D

I am assuming the sign is on 95 SB, at the 95/695 split - if so, the intent of the sign is really not a bad one.  695 is a very brief spur that connects 95 to 295.  I don't believe there is even a direct connection between 95SB and 295 - the whole point of 695 is to cut off the triangle. 

to omit the "TO" on 295 isn't too significant of an error - the average driver does not care that he is on 695 and is going to be on 295 for a mile, since no average driver thinks of 695 as going anywhere... there are no exits to the street off 695 so it may as well be an unsigned freeway, signed "TO 295" in one direction and "TO 95" in the other.

(alternately, 278 should continue to remain 278 until hit hits 295, and 695 should just be 295, thereby transferring the 295 designation one branch over)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Terry Shea

Quote from: rawmustard on October 19, 2009, 09:53:10 AM

But you don't reach the airport before reaching I-275 (as that route is what gets you to TPA). This is only an educated guess, but they may have calculated the distance to Tampa via I-4, which is silly since I-275 is more direct. The difference between the airport and St. Pete looks to be correct given the length of the Howard Frankland Bridge.
Quote from: rawmustard on October 19, 2009, 09:53:10 AM

Unless otherwise noted these signs usually indicate the mileage using the most direct route, but after consulting my trusty Rand McNally Atlas I don't see any route that is going to get you to the Tampa airport before you reach I-275, so something with the sign does indeed seem to be amiss.   :hmmm:

rarnold

There is also a sign error on I-435 northbound on the east side of Kansas City. They have placed a US 210 shield on the sign, where a MO 210 shield should have been. With the US 269 error at Vivion Rd, MoDOT must have had no Missouri state cutouts the day they produced those signs.

Duke87

Quote from: Master son on October 19, 2009, 09:43:11 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 19, 2009, 01:18:30 AM
it's a diagrammatic on a major freeway
What's wrong with that? :hmmm:

Nothing. Just makes it surprising that such a sign has lasted with an error for so long.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 19, 2009, 11:06:52 AM
nice reuse of the exit tab!  :-D

There's no exit tab being reused. The green area around the 695 shield is another sign on the side of the highway (seen here on street view) which, by coincidence due to the angle the photo was taken from, appears right behind it.
The shield is supplementarily mounted atop the sign, as this shot from behind demonstrates:

QuoteI am assuming the sign is on 95 SB, at the 95/695 split

Well, the 1 mile advance sign for it, but yes. At the split, newer signage gets it right (street view).

QuoteI don't believe there is even a direct connection between 95SB and 295 - the whole point of 695 is to cut off the triangle. 

Correct.

Quoteto omit the "TO" on 295 isn't too significant of an error

But to put it on 695 is...

Quoteno average driver thinks of 695 as going anywhere... there are no exits to the street off 695

Actually, there is one unnumbered interchange (Lafayette Avenue/Randall Avenue).

True enough, though, no driver thinks of 695 as going anywhere.... in fact, no driver even thinks of 695 as existing. Everybody in New York (City) refers to highways by their names, never by their numbers. So it's not I-695, it's "The Throgs Neck Expressway" (along with the short bit of 295 between the merge and the bridge).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

xcellntbuy

It is amazing there is no graffiti on the back of that sign. :clap:

[Fixed/removed excess quoting. -S.]

OracleUsr

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 12, 2009, 01:48:33 AM
alas, the oldest shadow is not that of a cutout ... just looks to be a larger square.

as for US-127, there is a US-123 as well in Washington.

First start in Greenville, SC, loop around behind downtown, go to Clemson (GO TIGERS) end at US 23 in GA, then...REAPPEAR IN OREGON.

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Sorry, as a '95 CU grad, I had to comment.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Truvelo

During my stay in Ohio last week I strayed into Kentucky where I saw the US shields are a little different with the bottoms being pointy compared to the one in the picture above.

Speed limits limit life

WNYroadgeek

Can somebody please tell me how the hell NYSDOT screwed this up?

Dougtone

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 12, 2009, 08:42:11 PM

I can understand screwing up the shields for NY 69 or NY 96, and those shields have been screwed up in the past, but you would think that even with New York State's fiscal woes, they would implement some quality control.  But then again, displaying  I passed by this area (Hamburg, NY) again last week, and I think the NY 391 shield error has been corrected.

xonhulu

I just saw this one yesterday in Stayton, OR.  I'll have to go back under better lighting and less traffic to get a better shot one of these days.

Truvelo

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 12, 2009, 08:42:11 PM

Upside down signs can often be seen here in the UK. This one shows a yield sign which should have the flat edge of the triangle on the top.

Speed limits limit life

US71

I found this one yesterday:

Here's what it should be:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hellfighter

jdb1234

This one I found 2 weeks ago:

hbelkins

Quote from: Truvelo on November 12, 2009, 09:33:33 AM
During my stay in Ohio last week I strayed into Kentucky where I saw the US shields are a little different with the bottoms being pointy compared to the one in the picture above.

Kentucky has been using those fugly-shaped shields for a few years now. Of course the biggest error in that photo is the error that the voters of this state made in electing the governor whose name adorns that Welcome to Kentucky sign.  :angry:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

that or the awkwardly long domain name.  What, was ky.gov.us too easy to remember?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 14, 2009, 12:27:14 AM
that or the awkwardly long domain name.  What, was ky.gov.us too easy to remember?

Look closely and you'll see a "blueout" for the governor's name. The previous administration used the Kentucky Unbridled Spirit logo to "brand" the state for marketing purposes. I'm not sure if the KUS.com domain redirects to the main state site or not.

That being said, I prefer that fugly shield to the ones West Virginia uses that don't even seem to have a point at the bottom.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

So, H.B., why don't you have the email of the coworker of yours that's putting up fugly shields? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WNYroadgeek

Wait, so which way do I go to get to I-86\NY 17?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.