News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

This BGS on I-95 northbound in Providence, RI is supposed to have a US 1A shield, not a US 1 shield...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

TheStranger

This one in downtown Sacramento on westbound US 50/Business 80 - installed in October or so of last year - annoys me to no end:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/4753645599/in/set-72157624279252253/

Interstate 80 west doesn't begin for another four miles!
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

hm, I actually find it more palatable than that damn green-shielded freeway.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 12, 2010, 01:01:40 AM

Would be better if it were signed as US 50 though!  I don't think US 50 has ever been properly signed westbound from I-80 to Oak Park, except for one TO US 50 sign along former Route 275 in West Sacramento.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on July 12, 2010, 01:14:16 AM
Would be better if it were signed as US 50 though!

I thought 50 ended at 51 (the other segment of business 80) and the eastbound signs were wrong.  Does 50 go all the way through to the western junction of 80 and business 80?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 12, 2010, 01:36:08 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 12, 2010, 01:14:16 AM
Would be better if it were signed as US 50 though!

I thought 50 ended at 51 (the other segment of business 80) and the eastbound signs were wrong.  Does 50 go all the way through to the western junction of 80 and business 80?

Yes:

http://www.cahighways.org/049-056.html#050

QuoteAs defined in 1963, Route 50 was the route from Route 80 in Sacramento to the Nevada state line near Lake Tahoe via Placerville. The "Route 80" referred to in this routing is what is now Route 51, i.e., Business Route 80.

In 1981, Chapter 292 changed Route 50 to run from "Route 80 in West of Sacramento". The Route 80 referred to in this definition was the new definition of Route 80 that was the bypass around Sacramento, so this effectively added the former portion of Route 80 between Route 51 and the new junction with Route 80 to Route 50. The segment added is FAI 305, meaning it is acually interstate milage, but isn't signed as interstate milage. Note that the added segment is signed as Business Route 80 ("Capitol City Freeway").

Business 80 does not exist as a legislative definition, but is the first six miles of post-1982 US 50 including pre-1964 US 40/99W west of Route 275, and the entirety of post-1982 Route 51/pre-1964 US 99E to Foothill Farms.  (The mileposts on US 50 east of Route 99 have not been updated though, but the exit numbers reflect the West Sacramento terminus).

Basically, pre-1964, the western terminus for 50 was in San Francisco at US 101, then from 1964-1972, when the western terminus was at the Oak Park junction officially (where 99/80 split, and where 51 begins today), 50 and 99 were still sporadically co-signed to Stockton.  In terms of signage, the Oak Park terminus only lasted for about 10 years.

One of the several examples of correct US 50/Business 80 signage eastbound, on a gantry atop the Pioneer Bridge:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/4756049497/in/set-72157624279252253/
This signbridge likely dates to the 1982 renumbering.
Chris Sampang

kurumi

Seconded. "Green 80" needs to go. Just split it up between 50 and 51.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheStranger

Quote from: kurumi on July 12, 2010, 11:27:47 AM

Seconded. "Green 80" needs to go. Just split it up between 50 and 51.

The amazing thing is, the pre-1964 numbering for today's 51/Business 80 was more logical (as 99E)!

I've always wondered what the insistence on maintaining a "Route 80" in downtown Sacramento was for, rather than simply signing 50 on both directions between I-80 and Oak Park, and giving the substandard portion a new number.  (Or for that matter, why switch the designations out at all since even considering the stillborn nature of the realignment project, the Route 51 segment is far from the worst freeway to have been signed an Interstate?)

This is one reason I wish there were many more 1970s photos of the freeway system here, to provide a narrative link between the US highway era and the post-1982 designations.
Chris Sampang

SSOWorld

Finally got around to this.

A county route sign on a freeway BGS in Illinois??? they never do it - oh wait, it's ISTHA  :eyebrow: :hmmm:  (NOTE: clearview not judged :P)

Are we in Connecticut or Illinois?  - again ISTHA. :pan:

I don't think the arrows are MUTCD standard, but its funny nonetheless - IDOT in Chicago.  I've seen instances of this on US 12 and 45 as well.

here are the links to make Flickr happy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ssoworld/4511057505/sizes/m/in/set-72157622486538821/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ssoworld/4511760752/sizes/m/in/set-72157622486538821/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ssoworld/4511668888/sizes/m/in/set-72157622486538821/
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

^^ As to why some ISTHA signs can appear so weird, they have their own sign shop over in Naperville that makes all their signage.  I think they like to experiment from time to time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadfro

Quote from: Master son on July 12, 2010, 01:37:05 PM

I don't think the arrows are MUTCD standard, but its funny nonetheless - IDOT in Chicago.  I've seen instances of this on US 12 and 45 as well.

The diagonal arrows *is* a MUTCD standard sign (M6-6 is the sign designation in the 2009 MUTCD), although it's granted that this particular arrangement probably doesn't get much use.

There is also a standard sign that uses a straight ahead and and angled arrow.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

DorkOfNerky

I'm not sure if they're still there, but it seems so according to Google Maps. Back when I lived southeast of Downtown Houston, I noticed the I-45 frontage road has some signs that are a little bit off.

Over at Broad/Myrtle, someone though Texas 75 still runs with I-45.

Then over at Wayside/90A, someone can't make up their mind what highway you're crossing. Is it still US75? Is it Texas 75? Who knows! (Okay... it's probably neither now.)
- The Dork of Nerky

froggie

Those GMSV views are almost impossible to see...any better photos?

SSOWorld

Quote from: roadfro on July 12, 2010, 04:23:28 PM
Quote from: Master son on July 12, 2010, 01:37:05 PM
<image removed for bandwitdh's sake

The diagonal arrows *is* a MUTCD standard sign (M6-6 is the sign designation in the 2009 MUTCD), although it's granted that this particular arrangement probably doesn't get much use.

There is also a standard sign that uses a straight ahead and and angled arrow.
O. i c :-D

I guess I'm just too used to Wisconsin's cookie cutter system (they did have in Sun Prairie arrows that would go up and diagonally down for WIS 19, but those were removed when 151 was rerouted in favor of the standard all "arrows use a square" method.

EDIT: BTW - I've seen Arial font on a US 51 sign in Rockford on State Street at the I-90 toll road (ewww)

I gotta snap that when I do my next IL clinching trip.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on July 13, 2010, 07:06:11 AM
Those GMSV views are almost impossible to see...any better photos?

Jeff Royston found a set in 2009 as well: www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=TX19830452

Revive 755

A few erroneous ones in Springfield, IL now that IL 97 has been cut back to end at BL 55, as would be seen in GSV if the photos were more recent.  None of the BGS's on I-55 and I-72 have had the IL 97 shields greened out or had "TO" installed around the shield as has been done with some shields on the now decommissioned section of IL 97.

okroads

Interstate I-25?

And a couple of interstate shields posted where Business Loops should be:

xonhulu

Just got back from a road trip from Oregon to North Texas and back.  For the first 10 days, I saw only these glaring road sign errors: first from Boise City, OK, an attempt by OkDOT to add another misplaced offspring for US 25 (besides US 425)?

and a few days later, from US 191 west of Moab, UT:

Then to my shame, on the last day when I was driving across my home state, I tripled that number of erroneous shields:

I don't know why this problem has become so prevalent in Oregon, but it's getting silly.

hbelkins

Didn't realize it at the time, possibly because at highway speeds the shields look similar in shape, but I photographed a "Wisconsin 61" sign on my recent trip. It'll be posted when I get the other 5,410 photos from my recent trips uploaded. (Take that, Calrog!)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Bickendan

You know ODOT's subtly trying to stick it to AASHTO, xonhulu ;)

WillWeaverRVA

So, VDOT finally fixed the "Exit 11" error on an exit tab on I-95 in Richmond!

...sort of. Right exit number, just nearly impossible to read.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteLink says "forbidden."

Hit refresh.  I've disabled direct hot-linking to my site, but hitting refresh usually works.

US71

Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2010, 07:15:20 AM
QuoteLink says "forbidden."

Hit refresh.  I've disabled direct hot-linking to my site, but hitting refresh usually works.

STILL 403
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.