News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

'NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE'

Started by NJ, January 25, 2016, 10:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ

How common are "NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE" in your area on multiple lane highways?

In New York/New Jersey, every highway I've traveled on always post signs indicating that trucks are forbidden from driving in left lane, and sometimes it includes buses/trailers as well especially in New York State. In Ontario and Quebec very common as well.

I like it for safety reason!

1995hoo

Quite common here if the road has more than two lanes per side. Also common are signs restricting hazmats to the two right lanes.

When I was growing up there weren't many left-lane truck restrictions and it caused problems when trucks overturned over the center barrier.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

I can't remember seeing it anywhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quite common on the Chicagoland expressways and tollways.  Usually on the Illinois side it's "TRUCKS USE 2 RIGHT LANES" or "TRUCKS USE 4 RIGHT LANES" (or similar).  There's also the rarer "NO TRUCKS IN 2 LEFT LANES".  Indiana uses "NO TRUCKS LEFT LANE" and this unique sign.  There's a two-lane version of it as well.  Michigan uses "ALL TRUCKS USE RIGHT 2 LANES".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Overall, it's a state law that prohibits trucks in the left lane, or requires truckers to use the right 2 lanes only.  Quickly glancing, I didn't see a list off hand that shows each state's laws governing this, although I believe more than half the states prohibits trucks in the left lane (other than for turning or exiting).

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2016, 12:55:43 PM
Overall, it's a state law that prohibits trucks in the left lane, or requires truckers to use the right 2 lanes only.  Quickly glancing, I didn't see a list off hand that shows each state's laws governing this, although I believe more than half the states prohibits trucks in the left lane (other than for turning or exiting).

New York usually does if there are more than 3 lanes, although this is not a guarantee. It always holds true on NYSTA-maintained highways.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

A semi-related (no pun intended!) issue is how common it is, in left-hand-drive countries (so as to exclude the UK and the like), to have a restriction REQUIRING trucks to use the left lane. I know I've seen it a few times, though off the top of my head I can't say where.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cbeach40

Quote from: NJ on January 25, 2016, 10:13:07 AM
In Ontario and Quebec very common as well.

Only on sections of freeway with three or more lanes per direction. Some exceptions do apply where it makes operational sense not to restrict it.
and waterrrrrrr!

cl94

Quote from: cbeach40 on January 25, 2016, 03:20:22 PM
Quote from: NJ on January 25, 2016, 10:13:07 AM
In Ontario and Quebec very common as well.

Only on sections of freeway with three or more lanes per direction. Some exceptions do apply where it makes operational sense not to restrict it.

Yes. On the QEW, they're mainly found on the two bridges. In the case of the Garden City Skyway, the restriction ends immediately after the bridge because there's a left exit a few kilometres away.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Bitmapped

West Virginia uses them on freeways and expressways where there are 3 lanes in a direction.

swbrotha100

Other than NJ/NY area, I've only seen this on I-35 in Texas (specifically the stretch between San Antonio and Austin).

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

noelbotevera

Nothing here from my travels in the Keystone State.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2016, 11:56:57 AM
Michigan uses "ALL TRUCKS USE RIGHT 2 LANES".
Michigan also has "End Truck Lane Restrictions" signs as you approach a left exit.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

xcellntbuy

Common along Interstates in Georgia and Florida.

jemacedo9

In PA, freeways in the Philly area, including the PA Turnpike all have the restriction signed.

ALSO...there are several places in PA on 4-lane non-freeway roads where trucks are prohibited in the left lane.  US 11/15 in the Shamokin Dam/Sunbury area and US 15 near Lewisburg are two examples, and maybe PA 61 in one or two places in Schuylkill County?

Buck87

None in Ohio, though there was a bill introduced to the Ohio House last spring that would keep vehicles over 10k lbs in the right 2 lanes in 3 lane situations, which was referred to committee.

I know I've seen "No Trucks Left Lane" (in painted form) on the mountain section of I-40 going from TN into NC

Brandon

^^ Not quite true.  The Ohio Turnpike has such a restriction in its six lane sections.

An example: https://goo.gl/maps/RPEZUKpeVeP2
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kj3400

Only place I can think of off the top of my head is I-695 between I-95 and I-70.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Greybear

"NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE" restrictions are in place on various parts of I-20, I-30 and I-635 in the Dallas area. Not entirely sure about the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex.

hbelkins

Kentucky's verbiage is "Trucks Use Right 2 Lanes." That restriction is not in place for the I-64/I-75 concurrency.

As Brian noted above, WV uses the restrictive "No Trucks Left Lane" rather than the permissive language Kentucky uses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

peterj920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 25, 2016, 10:33:42 AM
I can't remember seeing it anywhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

I've seen them in construction zones in Wisconsin.  I-94 south of Milwaukee has had them during various construction projects.

Kacie Jane

I think in Washington, trucks are usually limited to the right two lanes of a 3 lane carriageway, or the right three lanes of a 4 or 5 lane carriageway.

thenetwork

Colorado pretty much limits the truck left-lane restrictions to the steep mountain stretches on I-70. 

Sometimes, they will not specifically say NO TRUCKS in the left lane, but they will have a minimum speed posted for the left lane that they know most truckers (or RV-ers) cannot reach -- either because they are going up a steep hill or have a low maximum truck speed downhill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.