'NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE'

Started by NJ, January 25, 2016, 10:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

In Massachusetts, on three lane freeways trucks are prohibited from using the left lane.  On four lane freeways, trucks are prohibited from using the left two lanes.  These restrictions do not apply approaching left hand exits, where an "EXCEPT TO EXIT" tab is placed with the prohibition signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NJ

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on January 25, 2016, 01:11:12 PMNew York usually does if there are more than 3 lanes, although this is not a guarantee. It always holds true on NYSTA-maintained highways.

Yes, and their verbiage–"Trucks Prohibited in Left Lane"–raises a grammatical quandary, which I believe we've discussed here before.

iPhone

SteveG1988

NC I40 coming in from TN going over the mountain, even poping into the left lane to pass will get you a ticket.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on January 26, 2016, 04:59:51 PM

Quote from: cl94 on January 25, 2016, 01:11:12 PMNew York usually does if there are more than 3 lanes, although this is not a guarantee. It always holds true on NYSTA-maintained highways.

Yes, and their verbiage–"Trucks Prohibited in Left Lane"–raises a grammatical quandary, which I believe we've discussed here before.

iPhone

NYSTA typically uses this sign or a variant
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

theline

Quote from: peterj920 on January 26, 2016, 04:28:16 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 25, 2016, 10:33:42 AM
I can't remember seeing it anywhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

I've seen them in construction zones in Wisconsin.  I-94 south of Milwaukee has had them during various construction projects.

In construction zones, I've also seen "TRUCKS USE LEFT LANE" in instances where the traffic lanes are shifted to the right and the right-most lane is on the shoulder. Presumably, the shoulder is less capable of carrying truck weight. I've got no picture, due to the temporary nature of those signs.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: theline on January 26, 2016, 05:51:38 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on January 26, 2016, 04:28:16 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 25, 2016, 10:33:42 AM
I can't remember seeing it anywhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

I've seen them in construction zones in Wisconsin.  I-94 south of Milwaukee has had them during various construction projects.

In construction zones, I've also seen "TRUCKS USE LEFT LANE" in instances where the traffic lanes are shifted to the right and the right-most lane is on the shoulder. Presumably, the shoulder is less capable of carrying truck weight. I've got no picture, due to the temporary nature of those signs.

When roads are built, generally the shoulder area is constructed with fewer layers of asphalt than the travel lanes.  Thus, they'll keep trucks off the shoulder in order to prevent the shoulder from becoming damaged.  In long-term construction projects, sometimes it's beneficial to reconstruct the shoulder in order for all traffic to utilize it.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on January 26, 2016, 05:08:28 PM

iPhone

Maybe it's the Mass Pike I'm thinking of? Or some other facility?

jbnv

How common are "NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE" in your area on multiple lane highways?

Not often enough. I don't think any of the freeways and expressways in Baton Rouge have this restriction. Not sure about New Orleans. There is a lane restriction (as well as a lower speed limit) for trucks on the Atchafalaya Basin bridge.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

myosh_tino

California...

* When there are 2 travel lanes in a particular direction, trucks are restricted to the right lane except to pass.

* When there are 3+ travel lanes in a particular direction, trucks are restricted to the far right 2 lanes unless there are signs posted that allow trucks in another lane.  This is typically done by placing a "TRUCKS OK" plaque above a white-on-green down arrow on overhead guide signs.

So in California, it's not "No Trucks in Left Lane", it's more like, "Trucks Right Lane/Right 2 Lanes Only".
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

D-Dey65

And not just in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area.  ;-)

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 25, 2016, 06:29:18 PM
Common along Interstates in Georgia and Florida.
Well, on I-75 between Wesley Chapel and Wildwood, that restriction doesn't exist, although I'm sure it will once they finish widening that section. I'm pretty sure you'll also find it on I-95 in Florence, South Carolina. Honestly, I got so used to the left-lane being for cars only, I used to be surprised when I found there were places where trucks could use the left lanes.

empirestate

PurdueBill

Quote from: empirestate on January 26, 2016, 11:40:47 PM
Turns out it is Massachusetts.

The older, more conventional, ground-mounted version which Mass has used back to DPW days used a numeric 2 instead of the word two but still carried the same message, [/url=https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4968451,-71.1731385,3a,29.6y,105.43h,90.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scTdrWiLqGmJ5ind1RUybbA!2e0]which carries over in carbon-copy replacements.[/url]

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NJ on January 25, 2016, 10:13:07 AM
How common are "NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE" in your area on multiple lane highways?

In New York/New Jersey, every highway I've traveled on always post signs indicating that trucks are forbidden from driving in left lane, and sometimes it includes buses/trailers as well especially in New York State. In Ontario and Quebec very common as well.

I like it for safety reason!

Pretty common in Indiana where there are 3+ lanes on a freeway. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NJ

iPhone

I see those in downstate N.Y. as well

roadman

Quote from: empirestate on January 26, 2016, 08:26:34 PM

Yes, and their verbiage—"Trucks Prohibited in Left Lane"—raises a grammatical quandary, which I believe we've discussed here before.

iPhone

Massachusetts signs (both MassPike and other roads) typically read 'TRUCKS PROHIBITED FROM LEFT (TWO) LANE(S)'.  Although MassDOT has recently introduced a variant, which reads "LEFT LANE(S) (no trucks graphic)".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ekt8750

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 25, 2016, 06:57:05 PM
In PA, freeways in the Philly area, including the PA Turnpike all have the restriction signed.

ALSO...there are several places in PA on 4-lane non-freeway roads where trucks are prohibited in the left lane.  US 11/15 in the Shamokin Dam/Sunbury area and US 15 near Lewisburg are two examples, and maybe PA 61 in one or two places in Schuylkill County?

The restriction is usually on 6+ laned freeways. Their signs are a lot more specific too banning trucks, buses and trailers.

machias

Quote from: NJ on January 27, 2016, 09:51:42 AM

iPhone

Surprisingly I haven't seen those signs in the Syracuse or Rochester area. Never gave it a thought until reading this thread.

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 27, 2016, 12:36:40 AM

The older, more conventional, ground-mounted version which Mass has used back to DPW days used a numeric 2 instead of the word two but still carried the same message, [/url=https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4968451,-71.1731385,3a,29.6y,105.43h,90.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scTdrWiLqGmJ5ind1RUybbA!2e0]which carries over in carbon-copy replacements.[/url]
Actually, MassDPW had standard layout drawings for both the text and numeric versions.  As I noted in my post above, the all text signs are starting to be phased out in favor of graphic signs with "LEFT LANE" or "LEFT 2 LANES" notations.  The I-95 (128) Wellesley to Lexington segment now has the newer signs.

empirestate

Quote from: roadman on January 27, 2016, 11:04:08 AM
Quote from: empirestate on January 26, 2016, 08:26:34 PM

Yes, and their verbiage—"Trucks Prohibited in Left Lane"—raises a grammatical quandary, which I believe we've discussed here before.

iPhone

Massachusetts signs (both MassPike and other roads) typically read 'TRUCKS PROHIBITED FROM LEFT (TWO) LANE(S)'.  Although MassDOT has recently introduced a variant, which reads "LEFT LANE(S) (no trucks graphic)".

Yes, that's it. "Prohibited from" seems to be something you'd follow with a verb, not a noun. But it's a sign, so maybe there's an implicit ellipsis?

iPhone

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman on January 27, 2016, 01:04:28 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on January 27, 2016, 12:36:40 AM

Actually, MassDPW had standard layout drawings for both the text and numeric versions.  As I noted in my post above, the all text signs are starting to be phased out in favor of graphic signs with "LEFT LANE" or "LEFT 2 LANES" notations.  The I-95 (128) Wellesley to Lexington segment now has the newer signs.

Indeed, but the symbol version is only recently appearing.  I remember the worded version way, way back when it was on a wooden substrate with a green back, still found in places like the old guardrail median of 128.  :)

Sam

I saw a discussion once arguing for restricting the left lane to trucks, buses, and trailers *only*.

The argument was that trucks were most likely just passing through, not exiting, and by forcing them to the right and center lanes in populated areas they were obstructing entering and exiting traffic, which would brake suddenly or change lanes abruptly, causing the trucks to brake suddenly and so on. If long-distance trucks could stay in the far left lane where no cars were permitted, they could pass through more safely and local traffic could maneuver more safely and easily.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on January 27, 2016, 12:16:15 PM
Quote from: NJ on January 27, 2016, 09:51:42 AM

iPhone

Surprisingly I haven't seen those signs in the Syracuse or Rochester area. Never gave it a thought until reading this thread.

6-lane section in Victor uses them, along with every other 6+ lane section of the Thruway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

Maryland's left lane prohibition is by weight.  The MDTA roads say "No Vehicles Over 5T GVW Left Lane", while SHA uses "Trucks" instead of vehicles.  On sections with more than 3 lanes, the restriction is on the left two lanes.  Exceptions (which are signed) are made in advance of median service plazas or left exits.

Delaware technically does restrict trucks to the right two lanes on I-95 but the only sign I have seen is northbound after the toll plaza.

Kacie Jane

I was in fact mistaken about Washington because I was somewhat misinterpreting the signs on I-5 between Seattle and Tacoma (where there are five total lanes in each direction).  The signs along this stretch say "USE RIGHT 3 LANES" because trucks are allowed in lanes 3, 4, and 5, but banned from lane 2 (the left most general-purpose lane).  But they are allowed in the HOV lane.

Here is the rule in question (Washington State Commercial Vehicle Guide)
QuoteAny vehicle towing a trailer, or other vehicle or combination over 10,000 pounds, may not be driven in the left-hand lane of limited-access roadways that have three or more lanes in one direction, excluding HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes. This includes commercial trucks, recreational vehicles, vehicles towing boats, and any car or truck towing
a trailer. Commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW are prohibited from HOV lanes, even with the minimum number of occupants specified on signs.
This law affects any limited-access roadway that has three or more general purpose lanes in one direction. The law primarily affects I-5, portions of I-90 and I-405 in King and Snohomish Counties, and portions of I-90 in Spokane. It does not apply to HOV lanes, or to drivers of affected vehicles who are preparing to turn left at an intersection, or exit onto a private road or driveway. WSDOT will have signs posted in those areas where the law is in affect. Failure to obey the law in areas where signs are posted will result in a citation by the Washington State Patrol (WSP).

However, I'm pretty sure there's one case where it does apply to HOV lanes.  The southern half of I-405 through Renton and Newcastle (where there are 2 GP lanes and an HOV lane) there are signs prohibiting trucks from the carpool lane.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.