News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Running Journals (if anyone else runs)

Started by Hurricane Rex, February 10, 2018, 04:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Broke my small right toe the other day while doing unrelated strength exercises.  I was given a 4-6 week recovery period which includes no running at least until the four week window if everything goes smoothly.  That sort of left me a dilemma in regards cardio activity.  I broke out my old rowing machine which I'll be on approximately 3.5 hours a week.  Walking isn't much of an issue so I think a reasonable seven light miles at home and work ought to be sufficient.  My goal is to start with 3 Mile runs at week 4 followed by 5 Mile runs by week 5 and eight Mile runs by week 6.  I should be back to full speed and endurance for 10-13.1 by week 7 I'm figuring. 

Basically I'm trying to maintain 700 active minutes a week and a daily expeniture of 3,500 calories.  I was averaging about 1,200 prior to the toe injury with a daily expenditure of about 4,300 calories burned a day.  I suppose that I needed to ramp things down a little on the activity, the grocery bill tends to get out hand approaching 4,000 calories a day. Back when I ran 60 miles a week I usually burned about 5,000 a day, it's almost impossible to replinish that amount or create a gain with healthy prepared food. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Back in June I took part in three races in three consecutive Sundays: a hilly trail run, an orienteering course that ended up being the second longest I've ever ran (also one of the longest non-stop drives I've done at exactly 120 miles), and a flat trail run. The last one happened to raise funds for the Dravet Syndrome Foundation (or more exactly its delegation in Spain, actually a separate organization), and since I run with its team I was treated like a VIP runner :sombrero:.

Next up is another trail run, which is part of a five race event, the flagship one being 66 miles long. I'll be running the shortest one, which is about 7 3/4 miles long. Registrations for this one were sold out in just half a hour back in late January!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hurricane Rex

Down to 17:27 in the 5k now. Great to be PRing less than 2 months after coming back from an injury.

Still can't do uber long distance yet (14+ miles).

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Eth

Summer is the time of year for shorter races for me, and I've done two this month.

July 4th saw a 52:38 10k, knocking about 2½ minutes off my previous PR set exactly one year earlier (which was itself 3 minutes faster than the year before that).

Last weekend was a local 4-miler, done in a modest 33:09. Technically an 8+ minute PR, but that's sort of cheating because the last race of that distance I had done was over 5 years ago.

Nothing else really on the calendar in the near term, though there are a couple 5k races in the next several weeks I may do. Tentatively looking at another half marathon (would be #9) around the first half of December.

Max Rockatansky

I'm three weeks into the broken toe saga.  So far its been smooth sailing with the indoor rower, I've been switching between my cable rower and chain rower at the gym just to mix things up.  I've done some cycling as well but I kind felt like it was best to primarily focus on something that doesn't involve the foot really at all.

Unless the doctor says different I'm looking at starting 3 mile runs 4.5 weeks in and progress back up to 8-10 by week 6.   The good news is that its actually hotter than hell with the recent heat wave so I guess that I haven't been missing any solid opportunities for a distance run.  I stopped wearing buddy tape at 2.5 weeks, it was just blistering my skin at that point and the pain had largely disappeared already.

Alps

Max Rockatansky

I was cleared to start running two days ago after a follow-up on my broken toe.  I'm looking at starting 3-5 Mile runs next week and if all goes well ramp back up to 8-10 the week after.  It's too hot out right now to reliably run Half Marathons and likely will be until late September.  I'm hoping to drop down to 7:10-minute range given I've been working on cutting back mass after a long weight training gain phase. 

Max Rockatansky

Its been three weeks since I started running again.  My shortest run has been 5 miles but more typically I've done 7-10 at 7:17-7:26 minute pace.  I attempted my first Half Marathon this morning since breaking my toe and it pretty well at 7:21 pace:

https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/16282170861

CNGL-Leudimin

Recently I've fallen in love with Parkrun (styled as parkrun), a collection of free timed 5K runs. The only downside? There are none in Spain yet (The closest one to me is La Ramée Parkrun near Toulouse, France), so I haven't had the chance to run one so far. There are a few in the USA, and a load of them in the UK, where it all started back in 2004 in Bushy Park, SW London.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Did Half Marathon #12 last week and #13 this week.  Today was 7:18 minute pace but more importantly my heart rate has dropped considerably.

https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/16434921626

https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/16566985760

Hurricane Rex

An inspiring story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=x4KC0nUmY4Y

Also you can see me a few times in that.

On a different note: XC season has begun. I'm also finally back up to 40+ miles a week. Last 2 week's longest run was just over a half marathon each. This weeks I took at 6:15 per mile or faster for 8 3 of the miles. Proof is available when asked. This week I'm hoping to do 15+.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Eth

Quote from: Eth on July 22, 2018, 08:49:45 AM
Nothing else really on the calendar in the near term, though there are a couple 5k races in the next several weeks I may do. Tentatively looking at another half marathon (would be #9) around the first half of December.

I have indeed signed up for a December half, this one in Alabama, which will bring my total number of states raced in to eight. Training is beginning to ramp up for this one after a two-week delay due to a minor knee injury that seems to now be healed. Hoping to break 1:50 this time (current best is 1:53:47 set last November).

Max Rockatansky

I'm up to 16 Half Marathons for the year.  Broke my streak of six weeks after I ripped an oblique muscle descending a hill on the Old Wawona Road in Yosemite about 10 days ago.  Breathing hurt like hell for a couple days, I still ran in a charity 5K the day after.

Hurricane Rex

So this is what I did on Sunday, and I'm still paying for it.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

Only 530 meters of ascent in 23.5 km? I've done upwards of 3,000 ft in only a half marathon before, but it took far longer. This year I did 1,500 ft in 7.75 mi... and did I say the bulk of those 1,500 ft were in just a couple miles? :sombrero:

Anyway, what a pace. This Sunday I was pretty exhausted after running 2.14 miles at about 8:15 min/mile.

Max Rockatansky

Slipped down a hill in Yosemite at the beginning of the month which had me hampered from a torn oblique muscle for about 10 days but I'm up to 18 Half Marathons for the year.  All things considered its been a strange year for injuries between this and that broken toe.  Pace has been solid at 7:18 and 7:24 the previous two weeks.  Weird thing is that I've been getting faster as the week goes along on 10 and 7 mile runs for some reason.

Hurricane Rex

Just got a 16:57 in a 5k after a 60 mile week with a run from Corvallis, OR to Albany.

Then got re-injured.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

I'm up to 21 Half Marathons for the year, the last one was on Monday at 1:35:05:

https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/18177251068

I did some trail running out on the Old Ridge Route near Gorman.  The run downhill from the Sandberg Summit Inn over Liebre Summit was cake but the run back up was a beast.  I'm not sure of the distance but it was probably 8-9 miles, lots starting/stopping for photos:

https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/18029168505

Hurricane Rex

The year ended out being at 1965 km or about 1200 miles. I wanted 1500 miles before my 1st injury, but I reduced it to 2018 km after that. Then I got shin splints.

Some quick facts (excluding injury time):
Average mileage per week: 31
Average monthly mileage: 100 (includes injury)
Average daily mileage: 5.5
Average maximum day in a week: 11 miles
Elevation gained: IDK
#of half marathons or better: 12

Most miles in a day: 18.93 (record 22.22)
Most miles in a week: 60.3 (record 64.9)
Most miles in a month: 175 (record 205)

All races (except 1500m and 3k) are PRs
1500m: 4:47 (PR 4:43)
3k: 11:11 (did during injury just to get a mark during track season, PR 10:02)
5k: 16:57
8k: 28:39
10k: 36:29
Half: 87 minutes

2019 goals: marathon time 2:45:01
Mileage: 1500 (redemption, but would like 3,000 km)
10k: 35 minutes.
8k: 27 minutes.
5k: keep time.

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

I'm at about 30 miles a week (probably more like 31-33) these days as well.  I didn't keep track of my overall mileage but I did miss three weeks of running due to a broken toe last year.  Ended up with 26 Half Marathons which happened just in time for the flu to hit me Christmas Day. This week I'm only runnng 9 miles maximum but it was tempting to try a Half Marathon this morning. I'm in the low 7:10s mostly on distance runs right now, it would be cool to crack the 6:50s at some point this year. 

Edit:  On the 30th I did some trail running with my new hiking shoes in San Emidgio Canyon which went well.  I was surprised how well marked the El Camino Viejo was considering I just heard of the Wolves Preserve a couple months ago.  Travelers on the El Camino Viejo sure had a hell of a view descending into San Joaquin Valley.

CNGL-Leudimin

I ended the year running a Saint Silvester race. Most runners do it wearing costumes, I do it like if it was an orienteering course (complete with map, but without control flags). I also added an Angry Birds cap to my usual running set. Despite this I ran like a normal race, and since I now have my own GPS watch I can now know if I get a PB in the middle of a longer run. I already suspected I can do a 5K in 26 minutes, and it was confirmed by the watch: I did a 5 km (3.11 miles) segment in 26:08. The race was half a mile longer than that, and I finished in 30:18 according to my watch and 29:51 according to the official timer.

Hurricane Rex

Cool, injured a 3RD TIME IN LESS THAN A YEAR (9 months actually) AND 2ND TIME IN LESS THAN 50 DAYS!!! :ded: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Was injured for 70 days. Returned mid March. Just now getting back up to prime mileage. And because I'm crazy here's a half marathon photo on OR 34

SM-J737T

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

Personally I don't think it's all that weird to run along signed highways.  I used to frequent US 1, FL 436, FL 552 and FL 15 during my Florida years.  On occasion I would run parts of CA 43 here in Central California.  I've found that a lot of abandoned roads like the Old Ridge Route, NOTR route over Cajon Pass and a couple others to be prime mountain run destinations. 

Hurricane Rex

Horrible week running. (Dramatic emphasis not intended if it comes across that way. But worst non-injury week in a very long time)

Thursday made the mistake of doing a hard track workout 16x200 at 38 seconds each with minimal recovery (150m) in 90+ on a day I had anxiety due to finals. Ended up overexerting myself and got signs of heat exhaustion. Don't know how that final went with no food in me when taking it. Ended up breaking cuss free streak of 111 days afterwards.

Saturday: Ran up Chehalem mountain and got a Strava CR. On the decent, I went too fast around a corner and ended up hitting a BlackBerry bush on my left leg. Able to avoid my right leg due to jumping immediately. Bleeding wasn't bad even with one thorn in but once I started running again, lost form really quick and still felt the thorn even after I took it out. Ended up cutting it short 4 miles. Was going to be my first 15 miler in 16 months.

Update: That final ended up being a 48%. Class: Vector Calc

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.