News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Clinching Counties' Highways

Started by NWI_Irish96, June 25, 2019, 01:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

My part of Michigan doesn't have county highways just Interstate, US highways and State highways.

Saginaw County has I-75, I-675, US-23, M-13, M-15, M-46, M-47, M-52, M-54, M-57, M-58, M-81, M-83 and M-84. All of which I have clinched within the county.

Bay County has  I-75, BS I-75, US-10, US-23, M-13, Connector M-13, M-15, M-25, M-47, M-61, M-84, M-138 and M-247 all of which I have clinched within the county.

Midland County has  US 10, Bus. US-10, M-18, M-20 and M-30 and I have clinched all those within Midland County.

Genesee County has  I-75, US-23, I-475, M-54, M-13, M-15, I-69, M-21, M-57. I have clinched all of them.

The farther away it gets the more likely I haven't clinched all the highways within that county. Like in Oakland County I'm only missing M-150 or else I'd have that county clinched too. Wayne is another county I have everything but a small stretch of US-12.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 29, 2020, 04:31:39 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 03, 2020, 12:12:50 PM
I'm now sitting on 60/92 counties in Indiana, including just over 82% of all signed highway mileage in the state.
There are about 6 counties left where I can do them within an 8-9 hour day trip. There are about 6 others I can pick up on trips down to my office. The others are going to take some multi-day trips specifically for that purpose.

Up to 8 now in Michigan. About 5 more that I can realistically do with day trips.

Haven't done anything in Illinois recently and still on 4. At least 5 more I can do but IN and MI are my priorities right now.

I just returned from my last trip of the year. I finished the year with 67 of 92 Indiana counties fully clinched. It's going to get harder now as it's a minimum of 2½ hours from home to any of the remaining counties. Probably going to start requiring overnight trips.

Still on 8 in Michigan but did get a 5th in Illinois. Next time out I plan to finish off two more in IL.

Have done a few day trips in NE Illinois and just came back from an overnight trip to SW Indiana.

Up to 70 counties in Indiana and 8 in Illinois.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

So I finally got time to do a multi-day trip and finish off Indiana, so that's 92 out of 92 counties. Up to 14 in Illinois, 10 in Michigan and still just the one in Kentucky, for a total of 117 counties.

JayhawkCO

Hadn't updated this in a while.

Finished all of Colorado, so 64 counties.  The only county equivalent I have other than Colorado (I think) is Anchorage, AK.  So 65.

Chris

ran4sh

For me it's a few counties in north Georgia: Barrow, Walton, Morgan, Oconee, and Clarke counties.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 01, 2021, 09:17:04 PM
Hadn't updated this in a while.

Finished all of Colorado, so 64 counties.  The only county equivalent I have other than Colorado (I think) is Anchorage, AK.  So 65.

Chris

Researched this a little more:
AK - Anchorage
AZ - Santa Cruz
CO - All 64
ID - Bannock, Valley
KS - Douglas, Greeley, Hamilton, Johnson, Leavenworth

So up to 73 total.  Got Greeley, KS and Hamilton, KS on my trip out to KC this weekend (already had K-27 clinched in both, just needed K-96 and US50/400 respectively).

oscar

Quote from: oscar on June 26, 2019, 09:31:58 AM
Easiest for me to figure is for the states where I've clinched the entire Interstate/US/state highway network:

Hawaii (four counties with state highways, one of which has Interstates but no current signed county routes, the other three I've clinched all the signed and numbered county routes),

Alaska (15 counties/equivalents with state highways; no county routes, not counting lots of unsigned state-maintained routes, and some signed and numbered Forest Service roads)

Delaware (three counties, I've covered all their signed/numbered Intestate/US/state routes, no signed/numbered county routes)

Maryland (23 county equivalents where I've covered all their signed/numbered Intestate/US/state routes, missing one state route in the remaining county, no signed/numbered county routes)

California (54 of its 58 counties, I've covered all their signed/numbered Intestate/US/state routes, but not necessarily all their all their signed/numbered county routes)

Also, Virginia (at least Arlington and Henrico counties, and most of the independent cities, which conveniently have no state secondary routes)

Might be some counties in other states too, but no time to figure that out.

This year, I clinched all the signed state highways in St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes in Louisiana, as part of exploring the Mississippi River delta while it's still there. In February, I covered St. Bernard, and the part of Plaquemines on the east bank of the Mississippi. Earlier this month, I finished off the Plaquemines routes in the west bank.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 26, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
If you have an account with the Travel Mapping site, it is easy to figure out which counties you've clinched.*
That said, I only have 9 counties, all within Ohio, "clinched."
Delaware
Morrow
Marion
Union
Knox
Franklin
Licking
Lake
Geauga

Two plus years later, I can add....
Madison, Pickaway, Fairfield, Coshocton, Ashland, Richland, Crawford, Wyandot, Hardin, Logan, & Champaign for Ohio & Luce County for Michigan.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 01, 2021, 08:18:59 PM
So I finally got time to do a multi-day trip and finish off Indiana, so that's 92 out of 92 counties. Up to 14 in Illinois, 10 in Michigan and still just the one in Kentucky, for a total of 117 counties.

Between weather and having and recovering from surgery, I hadn't been out on a clinching trip since early December. Got Kenosha County today--my first county in Wisconsin. That also completes the entire Chicago metro area for me. Goal for the rest of the year is to get 6-8 more counties in Illinois and maybe a couple in Michigan and/or Wisconsin.

I've discovered that I have competing interests between finishing off all the highways in closer counties that I've previously visited, or going farther out to visit brand new counties. Not sure which I'll prioritize yet.

hobsini2

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 03, 2022, 05:04:32 PM

Between weather and having and recovering from surgery, I hadn't been out on a clinching trip since early December. Got Kenosha County today--my first county in Wisconsin. That also completes the entire Chicago metro area for me. Goal for the rest of the year is to get 6-8 more counties in Illinois and maybe a couple in Michigan and/or Wisconsin.

I've discovered that I have competing interests between finishing off all the highways in closer counties that I've previously visited, or going farther out to visit brand new counties. Not sure which I'll prioritize yet.

I was born in Wisconsin (Oshkosh). Lived all over the state (Sheboygan, Wautoma, Princeton, Beloit). Lived in the Midwest my whole life (Suburban Chicago and St Paul). You know what the most difficult county continues to be for me to clinch in Wisconsin is? Richland. I have surrounded it completely. I just never gandered down US 14 between Madison and La Crosse.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 04, 2022, 07:46:53 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 03, 2022, 05:04:32 PM

I was born in Wisconsin (Oshkosh). Lived all over the state (Sheboygan, Wautoma, Princeton, Beloit). Lived in the Midwest my whole life (Suburban Chicago and St Paul). You know what the most difficult county continues to be for me to clinch in Wisconsin is? Richland. I have surrounded it completely. I just never gandered down US 14 between Madison and La Crosse.

Just to be clear, this wasn't just visiting Kenosha county, it was clinching all of the numbered highways in the county. I've been to 46 counties, but Kenosha was the first one I've finished off entirely.

Buck87

All I have is Huron and Erie counties in Ohio

webny99

Today I picked up the segments of NY 33A and NY 36 that I was missing and have FINALLY completed Monroe County, NY (my home county). So for the first time in my life I can officially say that I have clinched all highways (Interstate, US, and State) in a county!

I'm not far from completing Wayne County and Ontario County, but after that... I'm out of clinching opportunities within range unless I get the chance for some longer trips. Western Orleans and southern Livingston counties are just too far away to fit within my normal limited time frame for clinching trips.

formulanone

so...44 now.

26 in Florida: Alachua, Broward, Brevard, Charlotte, Collier, De Soto, Dixie, Flagler, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Indian River, Lee, Levy, Martin, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Okeechobee, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Pinellas, Putnam, Sumter, St. Johns

15 in Alabama: Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Colbert, Cullman, Dallas, DeKalb, Etowah, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marshall, Morgan, Tuscaloosa

1 each for Giles County (TN), Pulaski (IL), Tippacanoe (IN)

Lost Bradford, Citrus, Hillsboro, Polk in Florida due to new SR openings in the past few years.

clong

AL: Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Cullman, Dekalb, Etowah, Jackson, Jefferson, Marshall, St. Clair

ftballfan

June 2022 update
I've done several in Michigan:
Allegan
Barry
Benzie
Branch
Isabella
Lake
Livingston
Manistee
Mason
Mecosta
Newaygo
Oceana
Osceola
Ottawa (clinched it twice as I had the county clinched before M-231 opened then had to re-clinch it)
Washtenaw
Wexford

I am close in the following counties:
Eaton (missing unsigned Lansing Rd)
Grand Traverse (missing two small portions of M-72)
Hillsdale (missing small portions of M-49 and M-99)
Ingham (missing M-52 north of Webberville)
Jackson (only missing M-50 south of Brooklyn)
Kalamazoo (missing M-43 west of US-131)
Kent (missing a small portion of M-21)
Leelanau (missing everything north of M-204)
Missaukee (missing M-66 north of M-42)
Montcalm (missing most of M-57)
Muskegon (only missing M-120 between US-31 and Holton)
St. Joseph (only missing M-216)

NWI_Irish96

Got a few more counties in the past couple months. Updated totals:

Indiana - 92 (all)
Illinois - 18
Michigan - 10
Wisconsin - 2
Kentucky - 1

I have about 20 more I can do on single day trips.

pderocco

In California where I live, I've kept very detailed records of the state, US, interstate, and numbered county routes that I've been on, and even have a KML file showing the roads I've not yet driven, which I can view in my phone.

I've clinched the numbered county routes in 12 of the 40 counties that have such routes: Contra Costa, Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Monterey, Orange, Riverside, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Cruz. I agree with Max that Tulare is the one I'm likely to finish last, due to the large number of routes, the fact that most aren't actually signed, and that they're ugly and boring. But I've got all the counties south of there.

As to state maintained highways, I've clinched 34: Alpine, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lassen, Los Angeles, Marin, Modoc, Mono, Monterey, Nevada, Orange, Placer, Plumas, Riverside, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Tehama, Tulare, Trinity, Tuolumne, Ventura, and Yuba. The southernmost road I haven't clinched is CA-165 in Los Banos.

clong

Updated
Quote from: clong on May 25, 2022, 11:14:57 AM
AL: Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Cullman, Dekalb, Etowah, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Marshall, Shelby, St. Clair

iowahighways

Quote from: iowahighways on July 06, 2019, 07:59:47 PM
Using the original poster's criteria, I've clinched all of Iowa's state highways, plus the state highways of one non-Iowa county (Rock Island, IL), so that would be a total of 100 counties.

For an update, I have clinched the highways of three more Illinois counties within the past year: Henderson, Mercer, and Warren.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

formulanone

48 - can add Bradford, Union, and Gilchrist counties in Florida, as well as Milwaukee County (WI)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 18, 2022, 03:36:02 PM
Got a few more counties in the past couple months. Updated totals:

Indiana - 92 (all)
Illinois - 18
Michigan - 10
Wisconsin - 2
Kentucky - 1

I have about 20 more I can do on single day trips.

Only two more in Illinois since my last post. For a while, I've switched my focus to visiting new counties farther away over getting highway clinches in the closer ones.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on May 24, 2022, 08:39:18 PM
Today I picked up the segments of NY 33A and NY 36 that I was missing and have FINALLY completed Monroe County, NY (my home county). So for the first time in my life I can officially say that I have clinched all highways (Interstate, US, and State) in a county!

I've primarily been posting updates in this thread, but figured I should give one here. I am up to 8 counties clinched as shown on my mob-rule map and it will probably stay that way for a while. I'm at around 50% completion in Wyoming and Cayuga County, and a bit less than that in Niagara.

flan

Minnesota: Carver, Clay, Scott, Sherburne, Wadena, Wilkin, Wright

North Dakota: Foster, Sargent

I'd also have Cook County, MN, if not for three blocks on construction on MN 61 in Grand Marais last summer  :-/

NWI_Irish96

I got one more: Hardin County, IL

I was already there to knock it off my counties visited list, figured I'm likely never returning, so I got all the county's highways while I was there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.