I-70 upgrades said to be 15-20 years away

Started by Kniwt, August 04, 2019, 08:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Quote from: trafficsignal on August 28, 2019, 10:02:13 AM
Just for additional information into the upgrades - I-65 south of Indy carries more traffic than I-70 west of Indy (https://indot.ms2soft.com/tcds).  The segment within Terre Haute is similar in volume to the segment within Columbus, but just to the east of Terre Haute is a segment under 30k vehicles while the most rural section of I-65 south doesn't drop below 35k.  So, it's likely driven by volumes instead of other needs (like the past governor being from Columbus, which I'm sure had no impact on any decision for which corridor to start with :spin:).

I'm sure they'll work westward on I-70 out of the Indy metro, like they have to the NW, SE, and NE already.  Lots of needs but a good stream of money to work with.
That's always the issue when you are the Crossroads of America. Too many roads to improve & maintain, and not enough revenues to properly do so.

ibthebigd

Atleast Indiana isn't Arkansas with I-69 I-49 and I-57 all proposed.

SM-G950U

ozarkman417

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 02, 2019, 06:14:57 PM
Atleast Indiana isn't Arkansas with I-69 I-49 and I-57 all proposed.

SM-G950U
Texarkana is going to have fun with that.

Kniwt

It's not much, but the Tribune-Star of Terre Haute reports that INDOT now says they will add cameras and VMSs along I-70 from the Illinois line to mile 16. Work to be complete by ... 2021?!

https://www.tribstar.com/news/news_columns/mark-bennett-overhead-message-boards-cameras-will-help-alert-i/article_c6cd53dd-b80f-5a1b-824c-539963105215.html

QuoteNine closed-circuit traffic cameras will be mounted on tower masts along the first 16 miles of I-70 east of the Illinois-Indiana border.

... Three overhead message boards will be placed along I-70 near the state line (eastbound), at the 9.7-mile marker (eastbound) and at the 16.3-mile marker (westbound). The boards will be mounted on gantries arching over the roadway.

... Interstate 70 between Terre Haute and Indianapolis needs all the safety implements it can get. Spates of deadly accidents have been continual through the past decade. After three more fatalities in July on I-70 west of Indianapolis, the Vigo County School Corp. decided its buses won't travel that interstate. The school district also didn't want its drivers to use I-70 to shuttle buses between schools, even when students aren't aboard. Bus drivers were told to use alternate routes, such as U.S. 40.

Georgia

I dont see the benefit, but I am sure there is one. 
Curious what the VMS will say also, "3rd street is still terrible", "hey, at least it doesnt smell anymore".

PastTense

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 21, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 21, 2019, 10:48:54 AM
I remember I-70 ending at Holt Road in Indy for many years. Very irritating.

Exactly how many years did it end there? That sounds almost like an eternity there. I haven't been on I-4 to Disney World and back since April of last year so I can't comment on your contrast there.

QuoteThe first section of Interstate 70 to be built in Indiana was the portion around Richmond east of the Centerville exit, which opened to traffic on September 17, 1961. The final portion outside of I-465 to be completed was the middle of the three western segments, located between SR 46 near Terre Haute and Indiana State Road 43, which opened on October 20, 1969. Within I-465, the short section between Shadeland Avenue (then Indiana State Road 100) and the I-465 interchange had opened along with the rest of I-70 from that point east to SR 9 near Greenfield on December 2, 1968. Another section of I-70 on the southwest side of Indianapolis between the I-465 beltway and Holt Road had been completed and opened by December 10, 1969.[2] But the remainder of the I-70 mileage through the heart of the city was not finished and open to traffic until around 1974.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70_in_Indiana

So he is talking about between 1969 and 1974

RoadWarrior56

The remainder of I-70 in Indianapolis along with the middle part of I-65, including their common section downtown were not open to traffic until October 1976.  I remember it well since I worked for the Indiana State Highway Commission at the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.