News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-275

Started by doglover44, March 17, 2021, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Yes, however, not in one sitting.  The furthest around in one shot was from where I-275 joins I-74 east of Harrison, OH to the Taylor Mill, KY interchange going north and east around Cincinnati, a distance of 54 miles.  Just because I needed to cool down after work one evening.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 29, 2021, 09:33:25 PM
the portion in indiana never made any sense even on day one.
It makes about as much sense as having the Interstate between Indianapolis & Cincinnati signed as I-74 instead of I-68 (since it's SOUTH of I-70). An added benefit would have been not having to have multiplexed I-74 along the west & south legs of I-465 in Indy.

Maybe as part of the proposed Infrastructure bill we could convince the powers that be to extend I-68 west from Morgantown, WV to Indy, via I-79, US 50, OH 32, & I-275, then rename existing I-74 between Cincy & Indy. Most of that route is already 4-lane divided expressway, with many parts already full-freeway. As a bonus, the abomination of I-74 in North Carolina could then be eliminated forever!

Skye

I don't know that I've done it in one trip (that was a goal of mine for a long time), but I have driven it completely.

seicer

About the need to go into Indiana: http://bridgestunnels.com/location/carroll-lee-cropper-bridge/

"The planning for a freeway beltway around Cincinnati, Ohio began in earnest in the early 1950s, and separate plans in Ohio and Kentucky eventually merged to form the Greater Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Bypass.

Renamed as the Circle Freeway by the late 1950s, the project conflicted with a plan for a toll bridge between Petersburg, Kentucky, and Lawrenceburg, Indiana. That proposal began in April 1956 when U.S. Representative Earl Wilson of Indiana introduced a bill for the establishment of the Lawrenceburg Bridge Company, which would be in charge of building a new bridge with a bond issue and paying the bond off with tolls. The bill passed, but with costs of construction estimated at $10 million for the new bridge, progress was slow.

Unsurprisingly, officials in both states were concerned that the proposed Circle Freeway would reduce traffic on the proposed Kentucky-Indiana connection by 40%.

As the result of the potential impact toward the bridge, Kentucky and Indiana officials began a drive to move the Circle Freeway's alignment ten miles west to include the proposed alignment of the toll bridge. The bridge could be built without tolls, financed with 90% federal funds as part of the Interstate Highway System. Although the proposal received the support of Boone County Judge Carroll Cropper and Wilson, the idea was downplayed by Ohio officials who lamented the loss of industrial development along the freeway."

SkyPesos

Quote from: SSR_317 on April 03, 2021, 07:44:15 PM
It makes about as much sense as having the Interstate between Indianapolis & Cincinnati signed as I-74 instead of I-68 (since it's SOUTH of I-70). An added benefit would have been not having to have multiplexed I-74 along the west & south legs of I-465 in Indy.
I'm fine with interstates being out of grid, as long as there's a portion of it in grid. Like I-74 is in its grid position 3/4 of the way. Also I-71, which is east of I-75 in Ohio, is fine. I don't see a need to change a diagonal interstate's number every time it crosses a straight one, or else a route like I-95 would be broken up into about 6 different numbered pieces.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 04, 2021, 12:02:01 AM
Quote from: SSR_317 on April 03, 2021, 07:44:15 PM
I'm fine with interstates being out of grid, as long as there's a portion of it in grid. Like I-74 is in its grid position 3/4 of the way. Also I-71, which is east of I-75 in Ohio, is fine. I don't see a need to change a diagonal interstate's number every time it crosses a straight one, or else a route like I-95 would be broken up into about 6 different numbered pieces.

The primary purpose of route numbers is to connect cities, with the x0 and x5 connecting major cities together and the other routes connecting major cities to minor cities and sometimes minor cities to each other. The existence of diagonal routes makes a perfect numbering system impossible.

Yes, splitting I-74 into two different numbers satisfies the numbering system, but I-74 is a route that goes from Quad Cities to Cincinnati via Indianapolis, not two separate routes terminating in Indianapolis, and it needs to be numbered as such.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Thanks for this! Always wondered why 275 is in Indiana at all! Now I see why and it makes sense.

Pixel 5

aboges26

I have been on the east and west halves, relative to I-75, many a time due to traffic, accidents, and construction on I-75 inside I-275.  The first time I took it I assumed the east half would be the quickest route based on how it appeared on the map, after getting stuck in traffic going that way I tried the west half on the way back and was surprised how much faster it seemed.  After getting home I used Google Maps to figure out the mileage difference between the two halves and was even more surprised to find out that the west half is the same length as the east half!

GCrites

Yeah way less volume on the west half once you're west of Colerain Ave./US-27. People drive faster too than they do on the east half.

JoePCool14

As of about an hour ago, I can say I've traversed the northwest section between I-74 and I-75. Seemed like a pretty decent beltway, not too much traffic, not too stressful to drive.

Also, the I-275 route looks like Snoopy's head.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

The Ghostbuster

You know, Interstate 275 does look like Snoopy's head. I've never noticed that before. If Charles Shultz had been from Cincinnati, Interstate 275 could have been the Charles Shultz Memorial Beltway.

GCrites

270 looks like Homer Simpson's head.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 08, 2021, 02:46:23 PM
270 looks like Homer Simpson's head.
I've thought of I-270 as jellybean shaped.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SkyPesos

I-465 have a ponytail hair, not sure who's head though.

There's the 3 eastern midwest beltways covered.

Henry

To clinch the whole thing in one single trip would be a major accomplishment! Even at that, I haven't been able to do so, having missed the western parts on either side of I-74 (to I-75 in OH, and to the airport in KY).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: Henry on June 09, 2021, 11:48:14 AM
To clinch the whole thing in one single trip would be a major accomplishment! Even at that, I haven't been able to do so, having missed the western parts on either side of I-74 (to I-75 in OH, and to the airport in KY).

I've never driven the whole thing in one sitting, but there are several segments I've driven more than once (The entire Kentucky portion, the Indiana portion extending to I-74 west, and between I-75 and I-71 on the north side are the ones I've done most frequently).

I have driven the entirety of the Washington Beltway (I-495) all in one sitting, however.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2021, 06:18:02 PM

I have driven the entirety of the Washington Beltway (I-495) all in one sitting, however.

When we first moved from Cleveland to Columbus, back in 1982, my dad took us around I-270 in one sitting.

GCrites

When you could actually see the Great Wall of Gahanna. It seems so primitive and small as compared to today's sound walls.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 11, 2021, 03:40:44 PM
When you could actually see the Great Wall of Gahanna. It seems so primitive and small as compared to today's sound walls.
You're right. I've completely forgotten about that, over the last decade or two, due to it "disappearing" behind nature.

sbeaver44

I finally did it on my third visit to Cincinnati spanning 12 years, although really the first ended up being unnecessary for this venture.

I see the historical reasons above for going into Indiana but it seems so unnecessary.

SM-T290

JoePCool14

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 28, 2021, 11:03:03 PM
I finally did it on my third visit to Cincinnati spanning 12 years, although really the first ended up being unnecessary for this venture.

I see the historical reasons above for going into Indiana but it seems so unnecessary.

SM-T290

It may be unnecessary, but it is a fun quirk to the route and hopefully another time I'll get to drive that section. It gives Indiana a 3DI where its parent doesn't even enter its borders.

SkyPesos

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 11:35:36 PM

SM-T290

It may be unnecessary, but it is a fun quirk to the route and hopefully another time I'll get to drive that section. It gives Indiana a 3DI where its parent doesn't even enter its borders.
Something interesting about 3dis in Indiana, all of the 2di in the state except I-65 and I-69 doesn't have a 3di in the state, but have one in another state each 2di travels. That's 6 2di (64, 70, 74, 80, 90, 94).

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2021, 11:41:35 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 11:35:36 PM

SM-T290

Something interesting about 3dis in Indiana, all of the 2di in the state except I-65 and I-69 doesn't have a 3di in the state, but have one in another state each 2di travels. That's 6 2di (64, 70, 74, 80, 90, 94).

Good fictional thread idea: Give Indiana a 3DI for each 2DI that doesn't currently have one. They could be an existing road or a new loop/spur.

Alex

That is how we did it in 2009. Had never been to Cincinnati before, and were on a 5 day roadtrip to the Ohio Valley/Great Lakes, so knocked it out in the counter clockwise direction.

I went through the AASHTO Route Numbering Archive when updating the page for I-275 at https://www.interstate-guide.com/i-275-cincinnati/
The 1958 Urban Interstate Numerology for Ohio included just the arc of I-275 from I-74 east to I-71. It was labeled Interstate Route A-74. Unfortunately there are no other documents uploaded regarding I-275 or approvals for the extensions west to Indiana or south into Kentucky.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 09, 2021, 08:14:41 AM
I-465 have a ponytail hair, not sure who's head though.

There's the 3 eastern midwest beltways covered.

Toishiro Mifune...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.