News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How Are The Detroit Border Crossings Holding Up Financially?

Started by thenetwork, March 18, 2022, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

With the COVID crossing restrictions in place for about 2 years, I have to think that the owners of the Ambassador Bridge and the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel both have to be bleeding red financially due to lack of pre-COVID traffic counts.

Go back even further when passports were now a requirement to cross ‐‐ making simple day-long visits for most people unattractive due to the up front costs, their crossing numbers have to still be well below the numbers seen in the '90s and '00s.

And with the Gordie Howe crossing getting closer to completion, you gotta think the older Detroit River crossings have gotta be worried on how they are gonna keep the bridge and tunnel maintained and rehabbed in the future?

They really can't raise the tolls too much because they will need to be competitive with the Gordie Howe's fares to survive.

It will be interesting to find out how those 2 crossings will be able to survive financially in the next decade or so.

mgk920

The tunnel mainly depends on commuters (big rig trucks are prohibited in it) and most of them already have all of the needed paperwork, including NEXUS cards.  The bridge is the truck route over the border in the Detroit area.

The situation is very fluid along that border and the Canadians are showing signs of loosening up (at least a little bit) on their admittedly very overbearing entry requirements.

Mike

ftballfan

I'm predicting the Ambassador gets a major overhaul once the Howe Bridge opens.

Also, I predict that cross-border traffic between Detroit and Windsor won't return to 2019 levels until the first full year of operation for the Howe Bridge, as many of the people that used to cut through Ontario to get to New England have likely gotten used to dropping to the Ohio Turnpike

Rothman

Quote from: ftballfan on April 04, 2022, 09:07:36 PM
I'm predicting the Ambassador gets a major overhaul once the Howe Bridge opens.

Pfft.  The owners' stinginess knows no bounds.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.