News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite highway that's the same number as your age

Started by SkyPesos, March 25, 2022, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

I turned 19 a week ago, and this got me thinking of the highways numbered 19 out there. There wasn't a notable highway numbered 18 (for my previous age) I can think of when I first thought of this a few months ago. For 19, my favorite is US 19, and it's probably one of my favorite US routes out there as well.
- Really like its alignment through the Appalachians, and it's part of a few ADHS corridors, including A, L and a short part of K.
- New River Gorge Bridge on the route
- Medium-large cities on the route include Tampa, Atlanta, Asheville and Pittsburgh, which I all visited before.

For another highway numbered 19, I like the metric exit numbers on I-19, but that's pretty much all I know about I-19.

Bonus question: how many of the highways numbered your age have you been on? I've only been on US 19 so far, but looking to get some more.

TheHighwayMan3561

I guess it would have to be US 31 by default, which does have some nice areas from Traverse City to I-75 that I discovered last spring.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

CA 39 is actually really scenic in the San Gabriel Mountains, even if part of it has been closed for decades.  I can't think of another Highway 39 that would beat what CA 39 can offer.

MATraveler128

I turned 20 in January. I’ve really only been on US 20, the longest road in the country.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Scott5114

K-32. Nice mix of urban and rural territory (though I haven't seen much of the rural parts).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jlam

I turned 14 a couple weeks ago, so definitely CO 14, especially along the Poudre.

NWI_Irish96

There's no I-48
There's a US 48 but I've never been on it, though it seems nice.

Only 48s I've been on are in IL and IN. My favorite is the eastern segment of IN 48 near Lawrenceburg.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ozarkman417

Excluding concurrencies, I have never been on a route numbered 18. With concurrencies, I have OK 18, KS 18, and US 18. All these concurrences were through flat plains, thus not too particularly interesting. Based on what I've seen in pictures and GSV, the section of US 18 in the Driftless Area looks neat. I turn 19 in October, and if I were to use highways numbered 19 for this topic, I choose MO 19. The portion of the highway that's in Shannon County, MO is perhaps the most scenic and fun to drive section of state highway in Missouri.

Great Lakes Roads

I-22 heading out of Birmingham to Jasper is a nice drive from what I've seen on Google Maps. Six lanes (three in each direction), 70 mph, and a stack interchange with I-65 at the east end. I have done the drive on I-22 from Tupelo up to Memphis, and that was during February when Memphis and northwest Mississippi was hit with some cold weather (bridge decks froze over and a LOT of accidents).

As for other highways that I've driven that are signed 22, they are PR 22, IN 22, and ND 22.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 25, 2022, 09:00:01 PM
For 19, my favorite is US 19, and it's probably one of my favorite US routes out there as well.
- Really like its alignment through the Appalachians, and it's part of a few ADHS corridors, including A, L and a short part of K.
- New River Gorge Bridge on the route ...

Bonus question: how many of the highways numbered your age have you been on? I've only been on US 19 so far, but looking to get some more.

US 19 through West Virginia and over the New River gorge is indeed a great route. It was particularly enjoyable for me because it's a type of road (four-lane divided highway) that's far too rare in my part of the country.

As for routes numbered 22, I have been on four: US 22, MN 22, NY 22, and VT 22A. I have to go with NY 22 as my favorite, and it's certainly a worthy candidate as it runs the entire length of the state from near the Canadian border to the Bronx, serving as a de facto border between New England and the rest of the country and passing through plenty of scenic areas and charming small towns along the way. 

US 22 deserves an honorable mention because it's part of the US 22/322 overlap north of Harrisburg that's also among my favorite roads. VT 22A was pretty boring by Vermont standards, and I've only been on a very short section of MN 22 so I can't say much about that route.

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 25, 2022, 09:57:52 PM
I-22 heading out of Birmingham to Jasper is a nice drive from what I've seen on Google Maps. Six lanes (three in each direction), 70 mph, and a stack interchange with I-65 at the east end. I have done the drive on I-22 from Tupelo up to Memphis, and that was during February when Memphis and northwest Mississippi was hit with some cold weather (bridge decks froze over and a LOT of accidents).

I forgot about I-22, haven't been on it but it's another good candidate for 22 (in good weather anyways  :D) :cheers:

jp the roadgeek

Seeing there is no interstate with the number, I suppose it comes down to Suffolk CR 46 (William Floyd Parkway) or the intrastate US 46. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Buck87

I guess I'll go with South Carolina 34 since I once drove a very short segment of it to have a quick look at Darlington Raceway while passing through that area.

paulthemapguy

Not a lot of great choices for 32's, but Wisconsin has a nice one along Lake Michigan and Ohio has a nice, smooth, efficient 32 through the southern hills.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

dlsterner

Bah.

I would assume it should be a road I have actually travelled on. But for 63 I've only been on two inconsequential state highways (Maryland and Tennessee) for about 10 miles combined.

I would have to say "None".  And wait for my next birthday when I have a tough choice between the Interstate and the US highway.

Big John

I-55

I-20. Logged a couple hundred miles on it during the learner's permit days. Every Geofiction I've made prioritizes Interstates 20,24,40,64 for evens and 55,59,65,75 for odds.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Bruce

I've clinched WA 24, which runs through some of the most desolate parts of Washington (including the intentionally desolate Hanford Reservation). It's more interesting than it seems at first glance.

DandyDan

I have never been close to US 49. I have seen the north end of I-49, but I don't think it was called that yet. The only two state highways numbered 49 that still exist I was on only once, both on the same trip, IL 49 and OH 49. I was only on IL 49 because that was the magic moment I needed gas and I have no idea why I was on OH 49. I was on MN 49 as a kid, but it's been decommissioned. I don't know that I have one for 49. I suppose since Ramsey County turned MN 49 into County 49, that has to be it.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ted$8roadFan

Interesting. I noticed that there are no highways numbered 48, at least in New England. I'll be 49 later this year, and there will be more options. 

GaryV

I-65. Kind of by default, and I haven't been on it in years. But it does have some pleasant memories as a youth when my family used the part from Indy to Nashville to go to Florida. Also a couple trips to Mammoth Cave. Sections in Kentucky are quite scenic.

english si

A35. Partially by default (other than a short bit of E35 in Germany, and small bits of a D35 or two in France, its the only 35 road I've used), but I did live on it for a year, spent several years at least seeing it, if not using it, most days, and had several holidays not far from it (and so used it to either get there, or while there), so it's not merely by default - I have strong links to it.

The bit through the New Forest is nice and scenic, bits elsewhere remind me of happy holidays on/near the Jurassic Coast. There's some negative memories too, but that's always going to be the case when you have deep ties.

Ask me again in a month, and it's A36 by default as the only route with that number I've travelled on. It's not so meh that I don't remember travelling on it, but there's not much I can say about it.

Mapmikey

US 52, which happens to be the route I grew up around, mostly in Goose Creek SC.

As a kid in the 1970s I would trace it through the Rand McN and dream of driving all of it to Canada.

I am missing only the Dubuque bypass and a several mile section west of I-39 that was closed for bridge construction when I was there in 2019.

The best parts IMO are NW Illinois to Dubuque and north of Minot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.