News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-69 SIU 29 and SIU 30 added

Started by SkyPesos, March 31, 2022, 04:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

I found this new info regarding two new spurs of I-69 over the past few days:

As we know, the I-69 NAFTA Superhighway have three spurs in Texas, each to a border crossing with Mexico. However, on the northern end of the highway, there's only one border crossing with Canada. To include more border crossings to Canada, it was recently decided to add two spurs to the I-69 system, each to a different Canadian border crossing. This will equalize the number of crossings into Canada for I-69 with the number of crossings into Mexico. These two spurs are dubbed as SIU 29 and SIU 30 of I-69. These two SIUs will mostly comprise of existing freeways, so it can be added into the system as quickly as possible.

SIU 29 branches off I-69 south of Fort Wayne at the junction with I-469. It uses I-469 to US 24, US 24 to I-475 in Toledo, I-475 to I-75, then I-75 to the future Gordie Howe Bridge, which this SIU will use to cross into Canada and connect with ON 401. This will be designated as a northern I-69E to unify the corridor under a single number.

SIU 30 branches off I-69 at Nortonville KY at the junction with the WK Pkwy. It uses the WK Pkwy to I-65 at Elizabethtown, I-65 from there to Louisville, I-71's entire length, I-90 from Cleveland to Buffalo, and I-190's entire length, connecting to Canada with ON 405 (which eventually merges into the QEW) at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge. Unlike with SIU 29, this wouldn't get the I-69 number, instead I-71 will be extended south via I-65 and WK Pkwy to end at I-69 in Nortonville, and north via I-90 and I-190 to the Canada border.

What do all of you think about these two additions?

Mapmikey

That you're breaking news a day early...

MikieTimT

As I-69 will likely never connect between Tenaha, TX and Memphis, TN in our lifetimes, it seems rather redundant to rebrand these border crossings, especially since they are already interstates currently.

MATraveler128

This must be an April Fools joke. Except tomorrow is April 1.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SkyPesos

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 31, 2022, 04:29:20 PM
As I-69 will likely never connect between Tenaha, TX and Memphis, TN in our lifetimes, it seems rather redundant to rebrand these border crossings, especially since they are already interstates currently.
I wasn't really surprised about this addition, considering all the oddities I-69 have, like the spurs in Texas and that I-94 east of Chicago is SIU 27. Especially the latter one, which is another co-branded interstate.

froggie

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 31, 2022, 04:28:18 PM
That you're breaking news a day early...

And here I was hoping I'd only have to avoid the forum for ONE day...

SSR_317

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 01, 2022, 12:15:23 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 31, 2022, 04:29:20 PM
I wasn't really surprised about this addition, considering all the oddities I-69 have, like the spurs in Texas and that I-94 east of Chicago is SIU 27. Especially the latter one, which is another co-branded interstate.
All these bogus "High-Priority Corridors" along EXISTING Interstate Highways are mere political creations made to placate egomaniac politicians and/or divert federal funds away from truly needed transportation infrastructure (e.g., the Midwest High-Speed Rail initiative). Not to mention lining the pockets of their political donor/owners. These latest two new "corridor designations" are no exception to that sorry trend.

There is ZERO need for any new "letter-suffixed" versions of I-69 (or on any existing Interstate, save for I-35), and the three that were legislated in TX should be replaced with proper numbers NOW. AASHTO has it right, and the stupid pols should let THEM assign numbers on the Interstate System. I know, there's no way the pols will stay out of it, but I can still DREAM, can't I?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: SSR_317 on April 17, 2022, 07:31:17 PM
All these bogus "High-Priority Corridors" along EXISTING Interstate Highways are mere political creations made to placate egomaniac politicians and/or divert federal funds away from truly needed transportation infrastructure (e.g., the Midwest High-Speed Rail initiative). Not to mention lining the pockets of their political donor/owners. These latest two new "corridor designations" are no exception to that sorry trend.

There is ZERO need for any new "letter-suffixed" versions of I-69 (or on any existing Interstate, save for I-35), and the three that were legislated in TX should be replaced with proper numbers NOW. AASHTO has it right, and the stupid pols should let THEM assign numbers on the Interstate System. I know, there's no way the pols will stay out of it, but I can still DREAM, can't I?

That's probably why they decided to make it the subject of an April Fool's joke.

Pro tip: read the whole thread before you get pissed at it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.