News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeek mnemonics

Started by index, May 15, 2022, 11:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

My brain works in a weird way. Whenever I have to enter a 2FA code (for example, 829102), if I close out of the window and go to type it I always forget it, but I remember if I think of it as a duplex between I-829 and I-102. I even imagine reassurance signs on the side of a road. Weird, I know.

I remember my passwords better if I make them road-related phrases. This isn't a password I use because that would be stupid to just say out loud, but "Nc105JCT@US321/221" is something I would come up with. And no, I don't use that format for any of my passwords, saying the actual formats I use in public would also be stupid.

When bubbling in a Scantron, it's not necessary at all but my brain would think of the answers as suffixed routes. Question 23 with answer C would become I-23C, question 98 with answer A would become US 98A, etc...

Does anyone else do this or is it just me?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

I use highway numbers as lock box combinations all the time.  Given the frequency I have to change them it definitely helps me remember what they are.

dlsterner

The first three digits of my six digit employee ID number are "331" which I remember by associating it with US 331 which - as a kid living in the Florida panhandle - our family would frequently take on trips.  It stuck out because (at the time) it was the stretch of highway that was the most tedious slog of the trip.

The final three numbers I also use a mnemonic for, but it isn't road related.

hbelkins

The last four digits of my personal cell phone number are the two interstates that serve the city where an ex-girlfriend lives.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2022, 09:41:23 AM
The last four digits of my personal cell phone number are the two interstates that serve the city where an ex-girlfriend lives.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

As a former employee of Stop & Shop, I had a 6-digit code to clock in and out. While I no longer work there, it was similar to (won't give it exactly just in case) 526416, which is three intrastate Interstates in the same region of the US (526, 4, and 16), one of which was a 3di.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SkyPesos

"7452" is a 4-digit combination of something I have, which is neat because it's also an Interstate/US route concurrency near me.

If I get nitro on Discord again, "7040" will be one of my options for the custom tag for the same reason and it's a much more iconic duo.

1995hoo

During my first year of college (1991—92), my phone number ended with the numbers of the two major highways that served the town, first the north—south US Highway and then the east—west Interstate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

adventurernumber1

Back during the holidays, my dad wanted to see how many cards I could memorize after being shown them for a brief period of time. I surpassed the "limit" one can hold in short-term memory due to the use of mnemonics. I chunked groups of numbers together as highways, such as Interstate 376. Roadgeek mnemonics have proved to be useful in a variety of areas, but this is just one example.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

elsmere241

I was assigned a pin for my first checking account when I was 17 and had just graduated from high school.  I've pretty much stuck with it ever since.  I could switch to my employee number at work since it's four digits, but my ID card is also in my wallet and has that number on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.