News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Corrugated" vs "flat-panel"

Started by cjk374, February 16, 2011, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Thanks for that info on Nevada signs, JN. Interesting that Nevada is different in this regard.

I'd be interested to know what the advantages or disadvantages are to the different major types of signs. I've got to imagine that certain types are either less expensive or hold up to the elements differently in order for there to be such widespread differences.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

wytout

Quote from: doofy103 on February 17, 2011, 12:06:45 PM
So is this extruded?

AAroads

Actually these are both extruded.  You will never find anything other than extruded sign assemblies on permanent BGS's in CT.  The reason the left sign looks as though it's one piece on the front is that it's newer than the sign to the right, and in the direct sun, the diffusion of sunlight obscures the horizontal lines.

oddly enough, CT uses single flat sheet and incremental type signing for all it's exit gore signs (some rounded, some square), You will never find and extruded exit gore sign here in CT.  And they are all mounted on weak u-posts (not breakaways like the extruded signs are mounted to).  There isn't one standing up straight, and I figure they use cheap sheeting and yielding uposts here because they have to replace them so often --- every time someone mows one down when they can't quite navigate the exit ramp.
-Chris

Quillz

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I've always noticed that California's corrugated BGS seem to lack the bottom white border. Is this intentional, and if so, what is the reasoning behind it? I'd imagine it's a cost issue, in the sense that motorists won't really see the bottom border anyway, but it just strikes me as odd looking, even ugly.

Brandon

Quote from: Quillz on August 18, 2011, 02:57:44 AM
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I've always noticed that California's corrugated BGS seem to lack the bottom white border. Is this intentional, and if so, what is the reasoning behind it? I'd imagine it's a cost issue, in the sense that motorists won't really see the bottom border anyway, but it just strikes me as odd looking, even ugly.

I'd guess, if California's BGSs are lit at night, the border might not be visible.  In other states where they are not lit at night, the border is always visible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

Quote from: Quillz on August 18, 2011, 02:57:44 AM

For the older button copy signs, I always assumed the lower border was left out for a cost and effectiveness reason. Thinking about it, on an overhead sign lit from below with fluorescent light tubes any button reflectors in the bottom border would be underutilized--the light fixtures would block headlights from reflecting them, and the bottom border isn't incredibly visible from the driver due to blockage by the light fixtures from the road.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on August 18, 2011, 05:12:51 PM
For the older button copy signs, I always assumed the lower border was left out for a cost and effectiveness reason. Thinking about it, on an overhead sign lit from below with fluorescent light tubes any button reflectors in the bottom border would be underutilized--the light fixtures would block headlights from reflecting them, and the bottom border isn't incredibly visible from the driver due to blockage by the light fixtures from the road.
Actually, on some of Caltrans' older sign specs (like the G23-1 interchange sequence sign), the following note is placed on the sign spec sheet...

"On overhead mounted signs, with lighting and catwalks, bottom border shall be omitted"
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

vtk

^ There's a BGS in Columbus that's missing a border on the right side.  As far as I can tell, it was installed that way.  I might have a pic somewhere...

Aha, captured this in 2008.  Can't tell from the pic, but this sign is probably button copy – or maybe just the exit tab is button copy...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: wytout on April 20, 2011, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on February 17, 2011, 12:06:45 PM
So is this extruded?

AAroads

Actually these are both extruded.  You will never find anything other than extruded sign assemblies on permanent BGS's in CT.  The reason the left sign looks as though it's one piece on the front is that it's newer than the sign to the right, and in the direct sun, the diffusion of sunlight obscures the horizontal lines.

oddly enough, CT uses single flat sheet and incremental type signing for all it's exit gore signs (some rounded, some square), You will never find and extruded exit gore sign here in CT.  And they are all mounted on weak u-posts (not breakaways like the extruded signs are mounted to).  There isn't one standing up straight, and I figure they use cheap sheeting and yielding uposts here because they have to replace them so often --- every time someone mows one down when they can't quite navigate the exit ramp.

Actually I noticed the BBS "Highway Advisory Tune to 1690AM" signs are not extruded.  There is also a BYS Curve 50mph on I-84 EB at Exit 34 that isn't extruded as well. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 17, 2011, 04:50:27 PMHere is a rough list of what the states I've been to generally use:

Alabama:  incremental (corners not rounded)
Arkansas:  newer signs are extruded, older signs are incremental (corners not rounded)
Colorado:  extruded
Florida:  incremental (corners rounded), but IIRC the blue service signs are extruded
Georgia:  extruded, but I've seen newer exit gore signs that were flat panel with rounded corners
Illinois:  extruded
Indiana:  extruded
Kentucky:  extruded
Louisiana:  extruded
Maryland:  extruded
Massachusetts:  extruded
Michigan:  extruded
Mississippi:  mostly extruded, but I've also seen this strange combination of extruded and flat panel on older signs
Missouri:  extruded, but I believe they've used flat panels (rounded corners) on their exit gore signs in the past
Nevada:  extruded
New Hampshire:  extruded
New Jersey:  extruded, but NJ Turnpike used to use incremental
New York:  incremental (corners rounded)
North Carolina:  incremental (corners rounded)
Ohio:  extruded
Pennsylvania:  extruded
South Carolina:  extruded
Tennessee:  extruded
Texas:  extruded
Virginia:  incremental (corners rounded)
West Virginia:  extruded

Feel free to add to this list, correct it, or knock me upside the head for spoiling this thread  :pan:

To add (based on my observations):
Connecticut: extruded (at least for current BGS')
Delaware: extruded (although DelDOT used to use incremental w/rounded corners)
Maine: extruded
Oregon: extruded
Rhode Island: extruded
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Virginia has started using some extruded panel signs. There are a bunch on VA 288 now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 17, 2011, 04:50:27 PM

Virginia:  incremental (corners rounded)

In recent years, VDOT has put up quite a few extruded sign panels, though there was a time when they  were never used in the Commonwealth. 

One case in point is I-395 in the vicinity of the Pentagon in Arlington County, Va. Within the past several years, all of the traditional rounded-corner incremental panels were replaced by extruded ones, that looked to have been designed and fabricated to Maryland SHA specifications.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Dr Frankenstein

I thought that the NJTP was still using incremential panel signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.