News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"End Fines Doubled" signs

Started by roadman, February 08, 2012, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

While watching an episode of the History Channel series American Restoration earlier tonight, I noticed a couple of work zone signs leaning against the side of the shop.  One sign read "END ROAD WORK" in black on orange with "END DOUBLE PENALITIES" in black on white beneath it.

As the show takes place in Las Vegas, I presume the signs are Nevada DOT standard.  I am aware that many states have laws regarding higher traffic fines in work zones, and that signs to this effect are posted at the beginning of work zones.  However, this is the first I've seen or heard of the use of signs advising drivers that the end of the work zone is also the end of the "increased fines" section.

Is this practice unique to Nevada, or are there other states that use similar "END DOUBLE FINES" signs as well?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Short answer yes, because I've seen said signs more recently than I've been to Nevada. Maybe it was in PA?

roadman

Quote from: Steve on February 08, 2012, 09:56:55 PM
Short answer yes, because I've seen said signs more recently than I've been to Nevada. Maybe it was in PA?

Thanks for the reply.  Last time I was through PA was in 2009, and I don't recall seeing such signs then.  Of course, that may have changed.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US71

Quote from: Steve on February 08, 2012, 09:56:55 PM

Texas and Missouri come to mind.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Kentucky uses "End Double Fine" signs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

Quote from: roadman on February 08, 2012, 09:40:54 PM
While watching an episode of the History Channel series American Restoration earlier tonight, I noticed a couple of work zone signs leaning against the side of the shop.  One sign read "END ROAD WORK" in black on orange with "END DOUBLE PENALITIES" in black on white beneath it.

As the show takes place in Las Vegas, I presume the signs are Nevada DOT standard.  I am aware that many states have laws regarding higher traffic fines in work zones, and that signs to this effect are posted at the beginning of work zones.  However, this is the first I've seen or heard of the use of signs advising drivers that the end of the work zone is also the end of the "increased fines" section.

Is this practice unique to Nevada, or are there other states that use similar "END DOUBLE FINES" signs as well?

I will note that the sign is not an NDOT standard, but has been in use around the Las Vegas area recently. The signs at the beginning of the work zone are the major difference: NDOT uses a black on orange diamond warning sign for "Double Penalty in Work Zones" (the exact message prescribed in state law) accompanied with the "Begin Work Zone" sign; these signs use black on white "Traffic Fines Double" with the begin zone sign, which are smaller than NDOT's version. I've long thought NDOT's version was inferior using a warning shape for a regulatory message.

Anyway, the 2009 MUTCD has new provisions in section 2B.17 for begin/end higher/double fine zones placards which can be used for temporary traffic control, school zones and other applications.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman

Quote from: roadfro on February 09, 2012, 04:40:40 AM
Quote from: roadman on February 08, 2012, 09:40:54 PM

I will note that the sign is not an NDOT standard, but has been in use around the Las Vegas area recently. The signs at the beginning of the work zone are the major difference: NDOT uses a black on orange diamond warning sign for "Double Penalty in Work Zones" (the exact message prescribed in state law) accompanied with the "Begin Work Zone" sign; these signs use black on white "Traffic Fines Double" with the begin zone sign, which are smaller than NDOT's version. I've long thought NDOT's version was inferior using a warning shape for a regulatory message.

Anyway, the 2009 MUTCD has new provisions in section 2B.17 for begin/end higher/double fine zones placards which can be used for temporary traffic control, school zones and other applications.

Thanks for the clarification about the sign standard (which may explain why I couldn't find anything on the NDOT web page).  I've re-read Section 2B.17 of the 2009 MUTCD, and it's pretty clear to me that, if you provide signs indicating "double fines", they you also have to provide signs indicating "end of double fines" as well.

mightyace

I'm not sure about construction zones.  But, there's a school zone along Beechcroft Rd. in Spring Hill that has that or a similar sign at the end of the school zone.

Of course, it might just be a Spring Hill thing.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

KEK Inc.

Not Oregon.  I swear, the entire state is a double-fine zone.  They don't even bother to put 'End Road Work', which implies the end of a double-fine zone.
Take the road less traveled.

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.