News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Second Right" "Next right" on BGS

Started by colinstu, September 12, 2012, 09:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Special K on September 14, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 13, 2012, 10:36:15 PM
I'm seeing some "2nd RIGHT" (or "...LEFT TURN") in this area. When did the ordinal number become acceptable?

It's not.
Tell that to NJDOT.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ian

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2012, 08:22:29 PM
I love the way private company billboards near an exit use EXIT NOW!  It is good for them, but it would not go over for proper public road signs.

There are signs on I-95 going both directions on either side of the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore that have the EXIT NOW for hazmat vehicles.

The new signs, however, aren't as threatening looking...

(AARoads pic)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Special K

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2012, 08:28:32 PM
Quote from: Special K on September 14, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on September 13, 2012, 10:36:15 PM
I'm seeing some "2nd RIGHT" (or "...LEFT TURN") in this area. When did the ordinal number become acceptable?

It's not.
Tell that to NJDOT.

Yeah, well, *somebody* accepted it.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

colinstu

Agree with you Roadsguy... that Keith Ave text is UGLY. Font is way too big for that sign.

PurdueBill

The Keith Ave sign is a disaster...double border where green meets yellow, way too large text and way too small text on the same sign (Keith Ave and EXIT 56, respectively), EXIT ONLY part not tall enough, arrow slightly off-center (why not all the way to the right if not centered, or maybe inside the EXIT ONLY part?).....

At least they used FHWA lettering for what they are supposed to, which is unlike lots of recent Maryland signage.  How many of the examples of unacceptable Clearview on the FAQ page are from Maryland? It seems disproportionately Maryland.

Maryland seems to like NOW.  Don't they have some signs that say something like "Form Single Line NOW" at some lane drops, usually on ramps?

Roadsguy

Quote from: The BGS
HAZMATS MUST EXIT NOW

Yes, NOW. No stopping at the gore point if you're confused, no getting stuck in traffic. Just plow through it. :spin:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Ian

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 17, 2012, 10:05:00 AM
Man, that 95 shield is so ugly... And "Keith Ave" is no better. :pan:

The MdTA is to blame for these monstrosities. The I-95 shield is actually all but uncommon, since that style is seen on most of the mile markers on I-95 north of Baltimore.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

iowahighways

I-35 northbound approaching US 30 near Ames, IA:

While doing research for my site several years ago, I stumbled upon a 1972 article in the now-defunct Des Moines Tribune stating that there used to be an "Ames: NEXT 2 EXITS" BGS here, just like on southbound I-35. However, since this is a cloverleaf interchange, some drivers thought the next two "exits" were the two cloverleaf ramps -- one of which takes you away from Ames. Hence, the sign was eventually changed to this.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

PurdueBill

Quote from: iowahighways on September 17, 2012, 07:47:50 PM
I-35 northbound approaching US 30 near Ames, IA:
While doing research for my site several years ago, I stumbled upon a 1972 article in the now-defunct Des Moines Tribune stating that there used to be an "Ames: NEXT 2 EXITS" BGS here, just like on southbound I-35. However, since this is a cloverleaf interchange, some drivers thought the next two "exits" were the two cloverleaf ramps -- one of which takes you away from Ames. Hence, the sign was eventually changed to this.

I know that Massachusetts and Indiana have used "Next X Interchanges" instead of "Next X Exits" when cloverleafs (cloverleaves?) or other A-B setups are part of the sequence.  There were a few on "route 128" (cough, cough) aka I-95 MA, but the quickest one I could find was I-70 IN: Richmond Next 4 Interchanges

mukade

Soon to say "Next 9 interchanges" when the Union Chapel Road interchange opens here on I-69, but for some reason they don't count the southern I-469 interchange.

roadman

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 16, 2012, 09:50:37 PM

And I can see somebody arguing that the placement of that "No Propane Tanks" symbol is possibly confusing.  Does it mean no propane tanks permitted through the tunnel, or no propane tanks permitted on the hazmat route?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

The meaning of NEXT EXIT is not immediately clear.  It's similar to what is meant by the phrase 'next Thursday'.  Today is Tuesday, so most people (but not all) would assume it means Thursday of next week.  But what about 'next Monday'?  Does that mean six days from now or thirteen?  People take a hard stance on one side of the other on this issue, but the fact remains that the meaning is not immediately clear.  It's for this reason that I avoid the construction, preferring 'this coming Monday' or 'two Mondays from now'.  In the same way, I would prefer to see THIS EXIT and SECOND EXIT, completely avoiding the use of NEXT EXIT.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mergingtraffic

There's a spot on CT-9 SB hearding towards the I-91 NB and SB ramps that have "Second Right" and "First Right" in black lettering on yellow at the bottom of the BGSes.  Like the "exit only" is done.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: roadman on September 18, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 16, 2012, 09:50:37 PM

And I can see somebody arguing that the placement of that "No Propane Tanks" symbol is possibly confusing.  Does it mean no propane tanks permitted through the tunnel, or no propane tanks permitted on the hazmat route?
The MUTCD symbol for hazardous materials is a green or red-with-slash circle with "HM" inside, not a depiction of one of the nine hazard classes. And just a regulatory quibble, if I'm carrying a 20-lb. propane cylinder such as what is pictured for personal use, I'm not transporting in commerce and am not subject to hazmat regulation.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

theline

Quote from: mukade on September 17, 2012, 11:54:59 PM
Soon to say "Next 9 interchanges" when the Union Chapel Road interchange opens here on I-69, but for some reason they don't count the southern I-469 interchange.

Maybe because I-469 bypasses Ft. Wayne? Granted, one would take 469 to many eastside destinations, but the road technically doesn't go to FW.

mukade

Quote from: theline on September 20, 2012, 02:07:40 AM
Quote from: mukade on September 17, 2012, 11:54:59 PM

Maybe because I-469 bypasses Ft. Wayne? Granted, one would take 469 to many eastside destinations, but the road technically doesn't go to FW.

I guess it depends on what the definition of "is" is. I would maintain that Airport Expressway and Union Chapel Rd. are the same. I don't think either one is in the city limits. Also, because Fort Wayne has few suburbs, that whole unincorporated area I-469 goes through is essentially "Fort Wayne". It isn't a huge deal, but it is an interesting decision on what is and is not FW.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on September 17, 2012, 11:44:51 PMI know that Massachusetts and Indiana have used "Next X Interchanges" instead of "Next X Exits" when cloverleafs (cloverleaves?) or other A-B setups are part of the sequence.  There were a few on "route 128" (cough, cough) aka I-95 MA
Actually, the only NEXT X INTERCHANGES BGS I saw was along I-95/MA 128 Southbound approaching Waltham many years ago (not sure if it's still there now).  It didn't matter whether the next X interchanges were cloverleaves or not.  Most other BGS' I've seen there either use NEXT X EXITS or now use the interchange/mileage listings.

The SECOND RIGHT and even THIRD RIGHT signage in Massachusetts used to very common along roads that approached highway interchanges; the main reason being that the 1st right along the road in question may have been a driveway or a minor road.

One old example is along MA 114 Eastbound as it approaches MA 128 at the North Shore Mall.  The original 1950s-era BGS assembly (2 BGS' vertically stacked supported by 3 steel posts) was located far enough from the interchange that the first right following the BGS assembly was an entry/exit road to/from the mall (then North Shore Shopping Center).

The BGS' read (w/large MA 128 shields (in series E or F numerals) mounted on the left side):
128 BOSTON
2ND RIGHT

128 GLOUCESTER
3RD RIGHT

Many older LGS along roads approaching I-95 (north of Danvers) used similar as well.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Quote from: doofy103 on September 18, 2012, 09:46:07 PM
There's a spot on CT-9 SB hearding towards the I-91 NB and SB ramps that have "Second Right" and "First Right" in black lettering on yellow at the bottom of the BGSes.  Like the "exit only" is done.

Yeah I remember when those were put up when the road first opened in December 1989.  Never liked the black-on-yellow colors for something that had been commonly only used for EXIT ONLY or LEFT EXIT banners.

Then, in the same neighborhood, is this shot of a recently-replaced (last year?) sign assembly.  The old sign was mounted on a lattice gantry and omitted any signage for EXIT 22N.  Now if you look at the EXIT 22N sign that's there now, it says FIRST RIGHT, on a black-on-yellow banner.  Considering the next exit after Exit 22N is more than a mile down the road, I think NEXT RIGHT would've been more appropriate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.