News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Next ___ Exits" signs

Started by bassoon1986, April 11, 2013, 01:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

:-D Weed Police! Oh, wow. I hope the cops there aren't druggies!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

hotdogPi

On I-495 in Massachusetts, going north, between Exit 47 and Exit 48, there is "Haverhill: Next 5 exits". Then, after exit 48, "Downtown Haverhill: Next 3 exits".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

ET21

I-88: Uses "Aurora: Next 4 Exits"
I-90: Uses "Elgin: Next 3 exits"
US-20 Bypass of Rockford: Uses "Rockford: Next 7 Exits"
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

roadman65

Gainsville, FL on I-75 NB uses "Gainsville Next 4 Exits" but has the University of Florida  marked as "2nd and 3rd Exits" beneath it.

Orlando, FL on the Florida's Turnpike SB uses "Orlando Next 4 Exits" approaching the Ocoee tangle at Exits 267A & B.  The thing is if one exits at Exit 267 A, it connects with the FL 429 Toll Road which does not go there, and Exit 267B takes you to FL 50 EB (unmarked with follow up guides) that has a directional sign later on directing you to FL 408.  The latter one will bring you back to where the second Orlando exit eventually brings you to.

Lakeland, FL on I-4 WB has "Lakeland Next 6 Exits" when in fact the seventh exit is also signed as Lakeland.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Fred Defender

Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2013, 02:14:52 PM
In Florida on I-95 there is a sign southbound approaching US 1 near Ormond Beach that states "Holly Hill Next 2 Exits" when in fact the third exit as well serves Holly Hill and is the only exit with a guide that uses that city as a control point.

The sign was actually before the LPGA Boulevard exit was opened when southbound I-95 had to use those first two exits and was never updated even when I-95 was widened to six lanes long after the new interchange was added.

What really interests me the most is further to the west in Ocala there was a sign that read "Ocala Silver Springs Next 3 Exits" and now the Ocala was removed with a new sign with just Silver Springs exclusively and an added Pennsylvania type of exit guide sign for Ocala with the road names with distances to it.  Either way is fine by me, but why have two completely different signing practices for two places that use the same exact exits?

FDOT is really fouled up with the manner in which they mark interstate exits. I-75 Exit #414 is located just about midway between Lake City and High Springs. Yest it is signed for both towns in both directions. Why anyone would drive southbound all the way to 414 to exit for Lake City is just lunacy. The same with northbound for High Springs. Northbound I-75 approaching Exit #399 is a sign reading "High Springs Next 3 Exits". Exits 399 and 404 make sense. But, again, why would anyone in their right mind drive all the way to 414, 12 miles NORTH of High Springs itself, to exit for High Springs. #414 northbound should be signed for Lake City and southbound for High Springs.

Georgia has it right at Exit #185 (GA18). It is signed northbound for Forsyth and southbound for Gray.

More FDOT I-75 signage lunacy: Exit #404 is signed for Lake Butler. Northbound, I guess it makes sense, sort of. But exiting at 414, driving <1 mile north on 41/441 then turning east on FL238 makes far more sense; 238 leads directly to Lake Butler. Southbound, driving all the way to #404, then exiting on CR236 east to FL121 north to Lake Butler is at least 20 miles farther.
AGAM

Fred Defender

Quote from: roadman65 on August 12, 2013, 12:01:08 PM
Gainsville, FL on I-75 NB uses "Gainsville Next 4 Exits" but has the University of Florida  marked as "2nd and 3rd Exits" beneath it.

Ever notice the mileage sign just north of #374 which indicates "Gainesville 18"? Eighteen miles from that sign would put you about halfway between Gainesville Airport and Waldo. It should read 11 miles. The sign is at MM375 - nine miles from Archer Rd (384) which is no more than two miles from UF.
AGAM

NE2

The only way I can get 18 miles from Real Fireworks Left Under Bridge (RIP) to downtown Gainesville is by exiting at SR 26. Someone fucked up.

It's possible that the reason for High Springs next 3 exits is that O'Leno State Park has a High Springs address, and using exit 414 to get there is somewhat reasonable.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Fred Defender

Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2014, 09:40:46 PM
It's possible that the reason for High Springs next 3 exits is that O'Leno State Park has a High Springs address, and using exit 414 to get there is somewhat reasonable.

Interesting point. But that's a stretch, IMO. Although there is a brown sign for O'Lono SP, the exit itself is not signed for it. And that doesn't explain SB being signed for Lake City. Ludicrous.
AGAM

NE2

Is there a southbound Lake City next x exits sign that includes 414? If not, you're already lost by the time you get there, so there's no harm in signing it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Fred Defender

Quote from: NE2 on December 08, 2014, 12:28:19 AM
Is there a southbound Lake City next x exits sign that includes 414? If not, you're already lost by the time you get there, so there's no harm in signing it.

Good question. I can't say for certain since I seldom travel north of Lake City (unless I'm going to Atlanta on business). But if an extra 20-25 miles is of no concern to you, by all means, drive to #414 to get to there. But 404 to Lake Butler? NFW - especially southbound.

As I pointed out, Georgia did it right on I-75 at SR18 in Forsyth.

AGAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.