News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"DEAD END" Evolution in New York City

Started by M3019C LPS20, May 05, 2013, 02:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

I have always been interested in the various kinds of "DEAD END" signs of the five boroughs. There are several kinds in particular that are well-known, and some were in use in the city over the years. Below, is a general and brief summary of each one.

This is perhaps the earliest form that was once in use, and it was labeled as "DEAD END STREET." From Brooklyn, New York. Circa 1956. What's obvious is that it is not shaped as a diamond, and it uses the original label of "DEPT OF TRAFFIC." It was not until in later years, though, that a second version of this sign would be introduced, and it would have the characteristics that I mentioned.

I believe that this kind was introduced sometime in the late 1960s or so, and it was in use throughout the city for a fairly long period of time. This is, by far, my favorite version that was in use, and I would like to own one someday. The sign is 24" by 24", and it was originally stamped with "DEPT OF TRAFFIC," but it was not until in later years that this was stamped with "DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION," which is the current label that is in use by D.O.T. Today, this version could still be found in service in various locations of the city; however, it is dwindling.

It was probably sometime in the 1990s that D.O.T. first began to manufacture this kind, which shares the same dimensions as the "DEAD END STREET" sign that I discussed before. It was labeled as "DEAD END," which seemed to rather be a concise message that was in favor by D.O.T. at the time. It would eventually be replaced by a second version, so this version was in use for only a short period of time. Very few still exist. What's also interesting to mention about this particular version is in that some were altered over the years, and the "DEAD" was replaced with "THE." Thus, "THE END."

This kind is the current version, and it has been in use throughout the city for over ten years. Over the years, it has replaced countless signs of its predecessors. Unlike the previous version that I discussed, this one is slightly larger in size (typically 30" by 30").

Another kind that appeared in the picture in recent years is a small sign that is shaped as horizontal rectangle. Also has an arrow that points in the direction of the dead end street. It is commonly labeled as "DEAD END," but it is also labeled as "NO OUTLET."

roadfro

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 05, 2013, 02:09:07 PM
Another kind that appeared in the picture in recent years is a small sign that is shaped as horizontal rectangle. Also has an arrow that points in the direction of the dead end street. It is commonly labeled as "DEAD END," but it is also labeled as "NO OUTLET."

These are standard MUTCD signs W14-1a (DEAD END w/ arrow) and W14-2a (NO OUTLET w/ arrow), and are designed to be used underneath or in conjunction with street name signs.

No Outlet is to be used specifically for an entrance to a network of roads with no other way out other than the point at which the sign is posted, whereas Dead End is used specifically for a single street or cul-de-sac--they should not be used interchangeably.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

signalman

Quote from: roadfro on May 06, 2013, 04:01:04 AM
No Outlet is to be used specifically for an entrance to a network of roads with no other way out other than the point at which the sign is posted, whereas Dead End is used specifically for a single street or cul-de-sac--they should not be used interchangeably.
Yes, that's how they should be used.  However, I've seen both used incorrectly in the field (only one Dead End sign posted incorrectly that I can recall, and I think it's since been corrected with a No Outlet sign).   I do see more No Outlet signs posted where a Dead End is the correct one.  Perhaps local officials view it as a "softer" term than dead end.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on May 06, 2013, 05:58:05 AM
Yes, that's how they should be used.  However, I've seen both used incorrectly in the field (only one Dead End sign posted incorrectly that I can recall, and I think it's since been corrected with a No Outlet sign).   I do see more No Outlet signs posted where a Dead End is the correct one.  Perhaps local officials view it as a "softer" term than dead end.
I don't think No Outlet is restricted to the case above. However, Dead End certainly is.

DaBigE

Quote from: Steve on May 06, 2013, 06:27:30 PM
Quote from: signalman on May 06, 2013, 05:58:05 AM
I don't think No Outlet is restricted to the case above. However, Dead End certainly is.
Agreed. It's kinda like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. NO OUTLET can be used interchangeably as it simply means that there is no other way out/connecting street other than the street the sign is posted on. DEAD END should only be placed on the terminus street, since a street isn't truly dead if other streets connect with it (even if the connecting streets are all dead ends).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

M3019C LPS20

I agree with what kind of sign should be used.

When I used to live on Staten Island, New York, I recall there were two streets that were originally labeled as "DEAD END." Although each street had several individual streets that were connected to each one. It was not until in later years that D.O.T. finally removed the original signs at each street and replaced both with "NO OUTLET" signs.

M3019C LPS20

Here's a question that recently came into mind: is it necessary for dead end streets that are connected to a "NO OUTLET" street to have signs labeled as "DEAD END?"

I would assume that the message is rather clear once a motorist sees a "NO OUTLET" sign, and, with that said, I find the additional signage unnecessary (unless it is required). The only reason I ask this question is that I have seen some "NO OUTLET" streets that have dead end streets with the appropriate, yet unnecessary (in my opinion) signage.

roadfro

No. The "No Outlet" would be sufficient warning to drivers that the only way out is to go back the way you came...multiple "Dead End" signs wouldn't be needed.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jwolfer

Quote from: roadfro on May 10, 2013, 05:18:37 AM
No. The "No Outlet" would be sufficient warning to drivers that the only way out is to go back the way you came...multiple "Dead End" signs wouldn't be needed.

The "No Outlet" lets you know you cant go any where else... Whereas the "Dead End" tells you the road ends real close.

Like in my neighborhood. The main road is over 1 mile long with multiple side streets and loops coming off of it.  The entrance had a "No outlet" and a mile down the road there is a "Dead end" after the last side street.

I am sure the No outlet cuts down on people looking for short cuts.  The road is a county road and had double yellow lines so it could very well be a connector

The High Plains Traveler

All are better than California's NOT A THROUGH STREET, originally on square yellow signage. I guess this has the advantage of including DEAD END and NO OUTLET in the same verbiage, but way too wordy.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

myosh_tino

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on May 10, 2013, 09:44:45 PM
All are better than California's NOT A THROUGH STREET, originally on square yellow signage. I guess this has the advantage of including DEAD END and NO OUTLET in the same verbiage, but way too wordy.
I kind of liked California's NOT A THROUGH STREET signs but those are slowly disappearing since they were recently replaced with DEAD END and NO OUTLET signs.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

lepidopteran

What about what's found the actual end of the street?

New York City's method seems to be a yellow diamond with the word... "END".  In some locations -- specifically in Brooklyn on residential streets bisected by the open cut for the Bay Ridge Branch of the Long Island Railroad -- the END sign is accompanied by a vertical pair of steady red lights (at least one older pair was horizontal), and a striped guardrail containing one rectangular sign reading "DEAD" and another reading "END" at roughly 25% and 75% of the way across.

Different states, and even different cities seem to use different methods of marking the street terminus.  Michigan says "Road Ends".  Some places in Ohio have a regulation STOP sign with "Dead" and "End" respectively stenciled above and below the word STOP.

DaBigE

WisDOT uses three red diamonds (18"x18") typically spaced 8-ft apart and mounted at a height of 3.5-4 ft to mark the actual "dead end". Many Wisconsin cities follow the same standard, others will add guard rail. I have seen a handful also mount a second DEAD END sign at the actual end, either mounted to a stretch of guard rail or to a Type III barricade (the barricade having red and white stripes). If the dead end is only temporary, as part of a phased-in residential development, they'll use a Type III barricade with red/white stripes with a ROAD CLOSED sign.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 12, 2013, 12:43:43 AM
What about what's found the actual end of the street?

New York City's method seems to be a yellow diamond with the word... "END".  In some locations -- specifically in Brooklyn on residential streets bisected by the open cut for the Bay Ridge Branch of the Long Island Railroad -- the END sign is accompanied by a vertical pair of steady red lights (at least one older pair was horizontal), and a striped guardrail containing one rectangular sign reading "DEAD" and another reading "END" at roughly 25% and 75% of the way across.

Well, you pretty much answered your own question. Although I'd like to continue on with what you mentioned in your comment. Yes, the "END" sign is an ideal sign that is placed at the very end of a dead end street in New York City; however, that is true to an extent, since not every dead end street there is equipped with one. One may simply find merely a guardrail. I suppose it all comes down to where the dead end street is exactly located and if it is necessary to place such a sign at the end. 

Aside from Brooklyn, the two-section traffic signals that display solid red indications 24/7/365 are found elsewhere in the city of New York, like Staten Island, for example. They seem to be common in industrial/commercial areas, though. 

empirestate

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 12, 2013, 05:08:40 AM
Aside from Brooklyn, the two-section traffic signals that display solid red indications 24/7/365 are found elsewhere in the city of New York, like Staten Island, for example. They seem to be common in industrial/commercial areas, though. 

Got one or two right in my neighborhood, where they are used to call attention to a road ending at a T-intersection, not a dead end. It seems they're particularly used to call attention to walls or other obstacles that are opposite the end of the road, even thought there may be an intervening cross street.

kphoger

I've seen a STOP sign used erroneously to denote the end of a street....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 12:12:46 PM
I've seen a STOP sign used erroneously to denote the end of a street....
Keeping this thread on topic:

You're welcome.

agentsteel53

I know where that DEAD STOP END sign is in Ossining, and it is - paradoxically - at the beginning of the dead-end street.  basically, you see it as you are turning right into the dead-end street, at which point you are apparently expected to stop, in the middle of your right turn, your ass-end hanging out into mainline traffic.

best of, and worst of, road signs, all in one.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I'm not sure Ossining being a city in New York makes a sign there pertain to the topic of New York City......

But it's much, much closer than the STOP sign I had in mind, which is more than 900 miles from NYC.  :-|
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 08:15:11 PM
I'm not sure Ossining being a city in New York makes a sign there pertain to the topic of New York City......

Even less so, as it's actually a village.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.