News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"State Law" Signs

Started by DSS5, June 09, 2013, 03:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSS5

I often drive between North Carolina and Tennessee, and upon entering North Carolina on any main road you will see this sign:

There is also always a "State Law: Burn Headlights When Using Wipers" sign nearby.

Tennessee has nothing like this, and I also sometimes drive on to Virginia and there is nothing similar there. Do any other states use signs like these?

HazMatt

Quote from: DSS5 on June 09, 2013, 03:43:12 PM
I often drive between North Carolina and Tennessee, and upon entering North Carolina on any main road you will see this sign:

There is also always a "State Law: Burn Headlights When Using Wipers" sign nearby.

Tennessee has nothing like this, and I also sometimes drive on to Virginia and there is nothing similar there. Do any other states use signs like these?

Virginia has those annoying 'Radar detectors are illegal' and 'Speed limit enforced by giant robots' signs.  North Carolina definitely takes it up a notch though with their headlight signs.  It seems like almost every numbered road has those.

Zeffy

In high density living areas, you will find these in towns of New Jersey: (I've seen a couple in Hopewell, NJ)

or

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Zeffy on June 09, 2013, 04:06:10 PM
In high density living areas, you will find these in towns of New Jersey: (I've seen a couple in Hopewell, NJ)

or

Montana definitely could use those signs and put the law into place. You would not believe the amount of times my roommate got hit by cars.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

corco

QuoteMontana definitely could use those signs and put the law into place. You would not believe the amount of times my roommate got hit by cars.

Apparently at least one time less than the number of you have to get hit by a car before you learn not to walk out in the road when there's cars coming

empirestate

Yes, New York has this kind of sign for a variety of laws, including:
-No hand-held phones
-No driving on shoulder (i.e., to turn right)
-Penalties for violations in work zones
-Headlights required with wipers

...and others. In our case, the "State Law" part of the sign is white-on-black and the rest of the sign the opposite. There is also a variation for "NYC Law", used to mark the blanket no turn on red restriction, for one.

corco

Colorado has started putting it on their KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS signs in the last four years or so, which is actually awesome

Big John

or

those are mutcd signs R1-6 and R1-6a except that the mutcd calls for a yellow background.

Alps

Quote from: Big John on June 09, 2013, 05:43:35 PMthose are mutcd signs R1-6 and R1-6a except that the mutcd calls for a yellow background.
MUTCD allows fluorescent yellow-green to be used optionally for any pedestrian sign, so these are in the clear.

1995hoo

Maryland has a black-on-yellow banner "State Law" above "NO TEXTING" and "NO HAND-HELD CELL PHONE."

Virginia usually has a black-on-white sign, without a "state law" banner, that says "HEADLIGHTS ON WHEN USING WIPERS."

DC has a hand-held phone ban but doesn't post a sign about it.

No Street Views as I'm typing this on an iPhone. I'll add links next time I'm at my PC unless someone beats me to it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I always got a kick out of the "burn headlights" verbiage. Why not "use headlights"? That NC sign brings to mind someone setting fire to their headlights.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Alabama has the "STATE LAW MOVE OVER OR SLOW DOWN FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLES" sign, but it is all black on white; no yellow banner at the top.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on June 09, 2013, 05:08:26 PM
Yes, New York has this kind of sign for a variety of laws, including:
-No hand-held phones
-No driving on shoulder (i.e., to turn right)
-Penalties for violations in work zones
-Headlights required with wipers

...and others. In our case, the "State Law" part of the sign is white-on-black and the rest of the sign the opposite. There is also a variation for "NYC Law", used to mark the blanket no turn on red restriction, for one.
"Don't block side road" and "stop for stopped school bus" are also very common.  I wouldn't be surprised if "move over for emergency vehicles" becomes common soon.  The Thruway also has its own with "flashers required under 40 mph" and "keep right except to pass".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brian556

For work zones, Texas has "OBEY WARNING SIGNS-STATE LAW; which, of course, amkes no sense, because you can only obey a regulatory sign. These signs are completely useless, and, along with the "TRAFFIC FINES DOUBLE WHEN WORKERS ARE PRESENT" signs, just add to the sign clutter in work zones.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Maryland has a black-on-yellow banner "State Law" above "NO TEXTING" and "NO HAND-HELD CELL PHONE."

Virginia usually has a black-on-white sign, without a "state law" banner, that says "HEADLIGHTS ON WHEN USING WIPERS."

DC has a hand-held phone ban but doesn't post a sign about it.

No Street Views as I'm typing this on an iPhone. I'll add links next time I'm at my PC unless someone beats me to it.

Street View of Maryland sign: http://goo.gl/maps/l5VUO

Street View of Virginia's sign about headlights when using wipers: http://goo.gl/maps/XzF1W  (I've always found this sign to be a bit pompous because it doesn't say "state law.")

The comment by "codyg1985" reminded me that Virginia's started posting signs for the "Move Over" law as well. Here's one on the Beltway that's some five miles west of the state line. I suppose they put it where they did because the location is beyond the western end of a quad-carriageway, allowing them to put one sign on the shoulder for all lanes. I find the black-on-yellow banner more effective at grabbing my attention than the plain "headlights/wipers" sign in the other Street View image linked above.

http://goo.gl/maps/vjSNQ  <---Newer signs of this variety take a different format. I believe this sign has been replaced, but I won't be trying for a picture today (weather's too nasty). I believe the re-wording had something to do with an amended statute clarifying that the "Move Over" law doesn't apply only to moving over for cops/ambulances/fire trucks but may also require moving over for tow trucks.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

codyg1985

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 10, 2013, 10:11:58 AM
http://goo.gl/maps/vjSNQ  <---Newer signs of this variety take a different format. I believe this sign has been replaced, but I won't be trying for a picture today (weather's too nasty). I believe the re-wording had something to do with an amended statute clarifying that the "Move Over" law doesn't apply only to moving over for cops/ambulances/fire trucks but may also require moving over for tow trucks.

Mississippi pretty much has that exact same sign that is posted along interstates and divided highways.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

StogieGuy7

Quote from: corco on June 09, 2013, 05:10:35 PM
Colorado has started putting it on their KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS signs in the last four years or so, which is actually awesome

Wisconsin needs to be flooded with these signs!!!!  Clearly, nobody there never learned that the left lane is for PASSING.   :banghead:

formulanone

In high density living areas, you will find these in towns of New Jersey: (I've seen a couple in Hopewell, NJ)...

They're quite common along Florida's A1A (District 4), seem to have been installed around 2009-2010 in a lot of high-traffic places without intersections; also a number of downtown shopping districts and college towns.

agentsteel53

I've seen several variants of STOP sign with either STATE LAW, or the name of the individual state.  ALABAMA LAW, for example.  also Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia.

I believe they were all used at railroad crossings.

they're mostly yellow with black; there's one left in Gadsden, AL as recently as 2011.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sp_redelectric

empirestate

In New Jersey you have "N J LAW" (in red), followed by whatever the message is in black on white.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on June 10, 2013, 07:52:46 PM

Wisconsin needs to be flooded with these signs!!!!  Clearly, nobody there never learned that the left lane is for PASSING.   :banghead:
l
Is it the state law in Wisconsin? It took a change in the law in Colorado to make it an explicit violation (on multi-lane highways with speed limit 65 or over only).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

kphoger

Yes, I was living in Illinois when the law took effect.  I seem to remember Wisconsin being one of the first in the nation to adopt such a law.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DaBigE

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on June 10, 2013, 10:47:17 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on June 10, 2013, 07:52:46 PM

l
Is it the state law in Wisconsin? It took a change in the law in Colorado to make it an explicit violation (on multi-lane highways with speed limit 65 or over only).

It is. Except our signs say SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT (R4-3) and are posted approximately every 7.5 miles (per WisDOT TGM 2-2-50). They're also posted at the beginning to passing lanes on two-lane highways (TGM 2-15-10).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Scott5114

In addition to the standard "move over" sign that many states have, Oklahoma has a "STATE LAW: MERGE NOW [arrow]" sign for use at temporary lane drops, meant to promote early merging rather than the behavior many exhibit of speeding up to the cones and sitting there waiting for a gap.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.