News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 07, 2015, 06:23:43 PM
There's a Lois Lane five minutes from my grandparents' house in Edina, MN.

This, on I-94 in eastern Montana:

Bad Route Bad Route,
Whatcha Gonna Do When Someone Drives On Youuuuu?
:rofl:

mariethefoxy

Hicksville Road on Long Island

Ian

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 08, 2015, 02:08:26 AM

I always found it ironic that a town named Hicksville was located in a place like Long Island, a place where I can't imagine too many hicks actually are.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

empirestate

Quote from: Ian on August 08, 2015, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 08, 2015, 02:08:26 AM

I always found it ironic that a town named Hicksville was located in a place like Long Island, a place where I can't imagine too many hicks actually are.

You might be surprised...

iPhone

iowahighways

Adel, IA:

Needless to say, you won't find any here.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on August 08, 2015, 07:56:20 PM
Again not funny, but... patriotic?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.197061,-74.637805,3a,15y,37.05h,92.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slMY0LOIIfWWDt_vPZ66fRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I completely misunderstood New Jersey! I thought it was full of idiots from the Jersey Shore. Well, when I write my memoirs, may as well write about Jersey.

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 08, 2015, 09:09:56 PM
I completely misunderstood New Jersey! I thought it was full of idiots from the Jersey Shore. Well, when I write my memoirs, may as well write about Jersey.

Please don't let that tasteless piece of shit trash they call "entertainment" poison your mind with their lies about New Jersey. The real New Jersey can only be experienced by visiting everything our wonderful state has to offer, and seeing for yourself why so many people choose to live here when they can move.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on August 08, 2015, 09:16:50 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 08, 2015, 09:09:56 PM

Please don't let that tasteless piece of shit trash they call "entertainment" poison your mind with their lies about New Jersey. The real New Jersey can only be experienced by visiting everything our wonderful state has to offer, and seeing for yourself why so many people choose to live here when they can move.
I know. I don't think that 2 days in Atlantic and Ocean Cities would really change my opinion about Jersey, no? Well, I am from Southcentral PA and I really do know Jersey is a great state. been there, done that.

bing101

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

A street name is funny because it just happens to have the same name as someone who is running for president?

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I find a the name of a square in my hometown funny just because it is the second last name* of a friend. Recently they have installed a sign explaining the origin of its name, but still.

* In Spain, full names contain no middle name and 2 (yes, TWO) last names, which are inherited from both parents. Also, women retain their last names upon marrying.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on August 08, 2015, 11:19:36 PM
Trump Street in Perris, CA
Also there is a Trump street in the UK.
Also a Trump Street in South Carolina.
Wow!

Perhaps they're a bunch of contract bridge players?

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 09, 2015, 09:02:21 AM
A street name is funny because it just happens to have the same name as someone who is running for president?

Well, Trump is a funnier-than-usual surname, but otherwise I agree.

(Actually I have kind of the same view about "Hicksville", mentioned earlier.)

Jim

Passed a couple times this week but never managed my own pictures:

- Dirt Rd. in Holderness, NH.  I can't find it on Google Maps, so maybe it's not a real street name, just someone's long, dirt driveway.  Somewhere on NH 113 along the north shore of Squam Lake.  Surely there are other "Dirt Rd" instances out there.

- Ta Da Dump Rd, also in Holderness.  This one's on Google and in GMSV: https://goo.gl/maps/wuUxm
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

hotdogPi

Quote from: Jim on August 17, 2015, 12:09:38 AM
- Dirt Rd. in Holderness, NH.  I can't find it on Google Maps, so maybe it's not a real street name, just someone's long, dirt driveway.  Somewhere on NH 113 along the north shore of Squam Lake.  Surely there are other "Dirt Rd" instances out there.

I would have found it funnier if Dirt Rd. was paved.

By the way, "Holderness" is a funny town name. It's as if it was a noun with a root of "hold" and a suffix of "-ness".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

vtk

Quote from: 1 on August 17, 2015, 09:19:58 AM
I would have found it funnier if Dirt Rd. was paved.

Main Street in Eber, Ohio [street view link 1] isn't either of the two through roads in the hamlet.  It was later extended [street view link 2] into a residential subdivision, which subsequently disconnected itself from the original Main Street.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CNGL-Leudimin

I mentioned earlier in this thread A Drive North, which in the way the photo is would be actually a drive West :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

national highway 1

Humpybong Esplanade - Redcliffe, Queensland
https://goo.gl/1FekQU
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

iBallasticwolf2

Somewhere in Kentucky there is a road called Gravel Road, which is paved. It is possible it was originally Gravel hence the name.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

elsmere241

Quote from: hm insulators on August 18, 2015, 02:47:43 PM
"The Old Road" in Santa Clarita, California.

"New Road" in Elsmere, Delaware, which is mostly now the old road.

theline

New Road in St. Joseph County, Indiana, has a new part, the bridge passing over US 31: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5644276,-86.2448562,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sq2JH3P5piv4JxX1bcz-TRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you slide back the timeline, you can see the old part.

"New" in this case at least refers to some historical person, as do most E-W roads in the county. I don't know who it is, and can't figure out how to Google it. Searching "New St. Joseph County" wouldn't provide useful results.

Modified to add that I found my own answer to the name of New Road: http://www.stjosephcountyindiana.com/departments/Surveyor/countyroadnames.htm

QuoteNew Road — Harry S. New was a U. S. Senator from 1917 to 1923. He was also Postmaster General under President Harding and Coolidge, 1923 to 1929.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.