News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Frontage Road at I-295 and NJ-70 in Cherry Hill, NJ

Started by bzakharin, October 23, 2014, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

There i a road called Frontage Road near I-295 and NJ 70 (Exit 36) in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. It has a posted Speed Limit of 40. Right before a sharp curve (and a name change) is an "End Speed Zone" sign, followed after the curve by a "Speed Limit 25" sign ( https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9163836,-74.9816084,3a,37.5y,36.94h,84.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scPFa3XMmetGt94OIyxQFBQ!2e0 and https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9173,-74.9816682,3a,37.5y,343.77h,90.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPZlaH3yftf-zdPnOdiNSTw!2e0 ). I seriously doubt you can do 50 MPH just for the duration of the curve. I've never seen an "End Speed Zone" sign telling you to slow down (for that matter, I don't recall seeing any such signs elsewhere in NJ period).

The only plausible theory is that Frontage Road used to continue straight along I-295 and was actually a frontage road to it, hence the name, with a higher speed limit. The problem with that is the tall trees beyond the curvature of the road, which implies that the sign is pretty old. Given that this section of I-295 was built in the 60s, it is not obvious what this was a frontage road to it was there. I don't believe any of the later I-295 reconstruction projects extended that far north, and even if they did, I'm sure they didn't plant fully-gown trees as part of those. Does anyone know what's up with this road and specifically thee "End Speed Zone" sign historically speaking?

jeffandnicole

It appears that Park Rd (which Frontage Rd connects to with Rt. 70) used to cut across the path of 295, as there's a Park Rd on the other side of 295 as well.  Closer to Rt. 70, there's some buildings in that area too.  Frontage Rd may have just simply been created to assist with the severed connection of Park Rd to make getting to Rt. 70 a bit easier.  (Viewing Historic Aerials would probably clear all that up anyway).

As for as the 'End Speed Zone' sign goes - you're right - there are very few of these in NJ.  Having said that, it doesn't automatically mean a 50 mph limit.  It could be 25 or 35 mph as well.  In this case, it appears neither of them would apply as it's not a business or residential zone.  And if it is a 50 mph limit...well, remember, it's a limit; not a suggestion.  If traffic only goes 40 mph in this area, it's perfectly well within their rights to do so.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2014, 02:03:56 PM
It appears that Park Rd (which Frontage Rd connects to with Rt. 70) used to cut across the path of 295, as there's a Park Rd on the other side of 295 as well.  Closer to Rt. 70, there's some buildings in that area too.  Frontage Rd may have just simply been created to assist with the severed connection of Park Rd to make getting to Rt. 70 a bit easier.  (Viewing Historic Aerials would probably clear all that up anyway).

In what way, then, is Frontage Road a frontage road?

Also, what is the point of the "End Speed Zone" sign? Was it mean to imply that the speed limit is lowered to 25 and then the explicit speed limit sign on
Park Road was installed later to clarify? Did they forget to take out the "End Speed Zone" sign?

As for as the 'End Speed Zone' sign goes - you're right - there are very few of these in NJ.  Having said that, it doesn't automatically mean a 50 mph limit.  It could be 25 or 35 mph as well.  In this case, it appears neither of them would apply as it's not a business or residential zone.  And if it is a 50 mph limit...well, remember, it's a limit; not a suggestion.  If traffic only goes 40 mph in this area, it's perfectly well within their rights to do so.
How are business and residential zones defined? There are some businesses at the start of Frontage Road near NJ 70, and Park Road is very much residential. There is also a "Local Traffic Only" sign at the entrance to Frontage Road, if that changes anything.

jeffandnicole

Well, this is interesting!

Here's the Historical Aerials link, which will open up an image of the area in 1957: http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=523&lon=-74.98323163144798&lat=39.91171331773238&year=1957

Route 70 is towards the bottom of the picture.  The NJ Turnpike is towards the lower right. 

You may have to zoom in or out to see it, but off of the end of Park Rd (there was no development there at the time), there's a single house amongst the trees with a long driveway off of Park Rd.

Park Rd was getting terminated by I-295.  The whole reason for Frontage Rd appears to be for the access to that lone house!  Overtime, other businesses and the towers were built closer to Rt. 70, and the developments and such were built off of Park Rd. 

When you click on the years 1963, 1965 and more recent, you can see the development of the area.

As far as the 'End Speed Zone' sign, I guess for whatever reason way back when, a certain part of the road was designated as a 40 mph zone.  Maybe the owners of that house "owned" the back portion of the road when it was built, so that's where the limit ended.   You could probably ask everyone in Cherry Hill, and not a single person would know the answer to that.

bzakharin

Thanks for the info. Hard to see on that image, but I believe you. Very interesting how these things evolve

J Route Z

I used to live near Frontage Road. One correction, it is located near exit 34 of I-295, not exit 36. Having said that, after leaving the 40 mph zone, a sign should be posted to say "reduced speed ahead". IMO, the 25 mph zone is a 'speed zone'. One road in Freehold, NJ does the same thing (though the damn branches are obstructing) here: http://goo.gl/maps/LL1Lk

There are many flaws of roads in the CH road network, which should be upgraded and/or corrected, like many towns in the state need.

One example is the missing advance pedestrian and school crossing assembly signs. They may have a crossing sign right at the crosswalk in one direction, but a missing S1-1 or W11-2 sign, in advance of the crosswalk. One example is located here: http://goo.gl/maps/YVqwa

bzakharin

You are right, of course, NJ-70 is Exit 34. I should know because I use that exit every day (when not bypassing 295 because of delays). Frankly, I am surprised Frontage Road is 40 MPH with all those curves, especially with how Cherry Hill tends to be so conservative with its speed limits (Chapel Avenue is 25 MPH throughout, Church Road is 25 in Cherry Hill, but 40 and then 45 in Maple Shade)

02 Park Ave

The speed limit is 40 mph only on the straight sector, i.e. the sector which is adjacent to the I-295.
C-o-H

bzakharin

There are two "straight sectors", both posted 40, both fairly short and separated by a curve with low visibility (https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9120411,-74.9837684,3a,75y,65.29h,69.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjhD0XtP1x_l7CkEZ8lqDlg!2e0) with not o much as an advisory speed limit in between. There is no speed limit posted on the segment along NJ-70 and an even sharper curve there, at least northbound. Southbound there is an advisory 10 MPH at the curve, but no change of speed limit, so I assume it's 40 along the entirety of Frontage Road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.