AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: 2018 road trips  (Read 30287 times)

Marf

• See my Fic Hwys at http://yoitect.com/6rr6 (Adfly)

• Last Login: January 14, 2018, 09:34:32 AM
Re: 2018 road trips
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »

Is this like the "2018 Roadmeets" thread?
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 07:37:50 PM »

no
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hurricane Rex

• Speed 75 or bust. Keep on traveling.

• Location: Sherwood Oregon (Dec, Jun-Sep), Corvallis, Oregon (Oct, Nov, Jan-May)
  • Last Login: July 30, 2023, 12:18:15 AM
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 04:47:53 AM »

I actually might be able to do the great Washington traverse in June/July. Highly unlikely though due to my upcoming college carrer and my parents likely not being able to afford it.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »

No. Someone’s roadtrip will usually have nothing to do with a roadmeet. Personal examples: I’ve never attended a roadmeet, but this year I had three roadtrips, one a 2499-mile drive focused on a business meeting my wife attended near St. Louis (driving instead of flying allowed us to visit multiple friends on the way home) and the other two were trips to Florida to visit relatives.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »

What do you guys have planned? I might be flying and driving to the grand canyon in april.
Nothing set in stone, per se, but may explore the old National Road in Indiana and Illinois, or old Route 66 in Oklahoma and Texas.  Also continue my research on US 71 and its connection to the Jefferson Highway.  There are some old sections of US 62 west of Lawton, OK I want to investigate as well.

I plan on attending the Shreveport Road Meet and the Jefferson Highway Conference. I may try to go to the Route 66 conference in Shamrock Texas, but I'm still on the fence about the RMCA meet. Other than that, probably lots of day trips or overnight trips to random locations.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

A thought that hit me while I'm laid up (for those who aren't friends with me on Facebook, I'm down with another gout attack in my knee and can't stand or walk) -- I think it was last year that we had a thread about tracing your state's borders by highway. I extensively researched how to do that for both inside and outside of Kentucky. I think it would be neat to start at at a certain spot -- say, the intersection of US 23 and KY 8 in northeastern Kentucky along the Ohio River) and trace that route inside the state, then when I arrive back at the starting point, cross the state line and do it on the other side of the border.

Then I realized how unpleasant some of that drive would be -- namely trying to get around the KY-WV-VA tripoint in the neighboring states, and just how much I don't like US 52 between Horsepen Mountain and Iaeger, or the section of VA 63 outside Haysi that's required -- and thought "maybe not."

Still, it would be fun to take GPS tracks of each route and see if anyone could tell what was being outlined just from looking at them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 06:05:12 PM
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »

A thought that hit me while I'm laid up (for those who aren't friends with me on Facebook, I'm down with another gout attack in my knee and can't stand or walk) -- I think it was last year that we had a thread about tracing your state's borders by highway. I extensively researched how to do that for both inside and outside of Kentucky. I think it would be neat to start at at a certain spot -- say, the intersection of US 23 and KY 8 in northeastern Kentucky along the Ohio River) and trace that route inside the state, then when I arrive back at the starting point, cross the state line and do it on the other side of the border.

Then I realized how unpleasant some of that drive would be -- namely trying to get around the KY-WV-VA tripoint in the neighboring states, and just how much I don't like US 52 between Horsepen Mountain and Iaeger, or the section of VA 63 outside Haysi that's required -- and thought "maybe not."

Still, it would be fun to take GPS tracks of each route and see if anyone could tell what was being outlined just from looking at them.

I have considered a similar thing for NY, either doing the closest state/US route or Interstates or just the closest through road parallel to the border. The former is MUCH easier than the latter, as long sections of NY 5, 17, 18, 22, 25A, 27, 97, and 417 are the closest thing to the border. Though in the vicinity of Elmira/Waverly, a ton of backtracking is required to avoid entering PA because of NY 17's short dip south of the border. This is the route required to avoid entering PA while staying on state highways. Another funky maneuver is required to avoid the section of NY 120A in Connecticut (and the level of funkiness depends on whether you consider the SB side of the section on the state line south of the Hutchinson/Merritt Parkways to be in New York). Regardless of how I did it, it would take a few days and probably a good 2,000 miles or so of driving. Unpleasant? Certainly, as a large amount of looping is required to get the borders of Long Island and some of the Lake Ontario peninsulas, but it would be interesting.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »

No. This is for any road trips, the meet thread is for just roadmeets.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »

I'm planning on a couple of one-day clinching trips to finish up Region 9, so mostly focusing on Tioga County and western Broome County, but will also net me everything in Chemung County and dip into Tompkins County (and hopefully grab a piece of NY 12 that I've only seen at night in the daytime).  Both are weather dependent, since they're planned to take advantage of the three day weekends around Martin Luther King Day and Presidents Day.

In April I'm hoping to attend the CSVT meet, which would allow me to clinch a few things in northeastern PA.  Current plans call for this to be a weekend trip.

The week before Memorial Day is my cousin's wedding in Jacksonville, FL.  Naturally, I'm planning on driving.  I'm thinking of heading down to Key West while I'm there, and then head back further west to minimise deadheading.  Here's a VERY approximate version of the route I'm looking at.  It runs straight into my usual trip to visit family around Memorial Day.

I don't presently have anything planned after that, and likely won't until the NY state budget is done (I'm getting worried by Cuomo's talk of the deficit).  I usually do some kind of clinching trip on Black Friday, and the July 4 holiday looks like a good opportunity for one or two as well.  I also like to have a fall weekend roadmeet (though that didn't happen this year).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »

I mapped out Missouri's border route (including SSRs) in depth and then saved it to the computer.  But it would be a grueling drive.  I think I deleted the file a little bit ago.

the meet thread is for just roadmeets.

Like grilled skunk on toast.  No, wait, that would be roadmeat.  How did I not realize until just now, reading your post, the roadmeet→roadmeat→roadkill connection?  We should totally have a roadmeat roadmeet.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »

Oddly enough, I recall a discussion about the roadmeet/roadmeat connection at the Watertown meet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »

the meet thread is for just roadmeets.
Like grilled skunk on toast.  No, wait, that would be roadmeat.  How did I not realize until just now, reading your post, the roadmeet→roadmeat→roadkill connection?  We should totally have a roadmeat roadmeet.

I'll take one roadmeat on wheat, please. With cheddar and mayo, preferably.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »

pumpkineater2

• Jamie O' Neal lied. It does exist.

• Last Login: January 05, 2024, 07:39:39 PM
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »

If you go to Arches, I highly recommend the Tapestry Arch all the way in the back of the park.  It's a mile or so to hike to it, but it's worth it.  Everyone crowds around the arches you can drive to, like the Delicate Arch featured on the Utah license plates.  So the Tapestry Arch is far less crowded--plus the hike is fun and includes two other overlooked arches, one of which you hike straight through.

I'd like that, I definitely plan on doing at least some hiking on this trip, It all depends on how much spare time I've got. I think I did pretty good with planning out my stopping points for each day, so as to give myself enough of a time cushion to actually stop and see places.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »

Oddly enough, I recall a discussion about the roadmeet/roadmeat connection at the Watertown meet.

There was a story just a day or so ago about people collecting roadkill :

https://deadspin.com/over-3-300-pennsylvanians-requested-a-permit-to-eat-roa-1821624697

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 11:33:22 PM »

There was a story just a day or so ago about people collecting roadkill :

https://deadspin.com/over-3-300-pennsylvanians-requested-a-permit-to-eat-roa-1821624697

Locally sourced venison!  :bigass:

On a more serious note, you’d be surprised how much roadkill is on US 40 in northwest Colorado. The last time I was on it, I must have passed more than 30 dead mice, rabbits, deer, birds, skunks, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:00:30 PM by roadguy2 »

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2017, 12:21:18 PM »

I seem to recall reading that West Virginia enacted a statute guaranteeing motorists the right to keep the meat from any roadkill they cause, unless the roadkill is human. I found it more than a bit disturbing that it was deemed necessary to include that exception!

Part of the reason for the overall law was the idea that motorists taking the roadkill would save the state the expense of cleaning it up.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »

I seem to recall reading that West Virginia enacted a statute guaranteeing motorists the right to keep the meat from any roadkill they cause, unless the roadkill is human. I found it more than a bit disturbing that it was deemed necessary to include that exception!

What about with fava beans and a nice chianti ;)

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 06:05:12 PM
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2017, 03:33:31 PM »

It's actually illegal to keep deer or bear (possibly other animals) in New York unless you have a tag for it. I only know that because my dad is a claims agent for an insurance company and he has had multiple clients upset that they can't mount the bucks they hit.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »

Part of the reason for the overall law was the idea that motorists taking the roadkill would save the state the expense of cleaning it up.

I don't want to get all philosophical on this thread, but… can roadkill be human?

Eth

• Last Login: Today at 03:27:18 PM
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »

Only thing I have planned right now is a trip up to the Raleigh area in April. If I'm not mistaken, that'll be my first time in North Carolina since I moved back to Georgia in 2011. I already have all of I-85 north of Auburn, AL clinched, so I may look for an alternate way to go. Depending on my exact itinerary (may be visiting family in the area) I might have an opportunity to see how I-42 is progressing.

kphoger

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »

I don't want to get all philosophical on this thread, but… can roadkill be human?

In West Virginia, perhaps, the line gets really blurry.
Male pronouns, please.

HazMatt

• Last Login: April 17, 2023, 10:15:15 AM
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »

There ain't no party like the Donner Party.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »

Technically, hit-and-runs where the pedestrian dies could be considered this.  We had one here in northeastern Vermont right after Thanksgiving.

kphoger

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »

Technically, hit-and-runs where the pedestrian dies could be considered this.  We had one here in northeastern Vermont right after Thanksgiving.

Can always freeze it till Christmas.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.