News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New US-53 bridge - Virginia, MN

Started by thspfc, May 08, 2019, 09:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Looking around on GSV, I noticed that US-53 was recently realigned in Virginia MN, and crosses a large bridge over a lake on its new alignment. The bridge looks beautiful, probably hundreds of feet above the water, with steep rock cliffs on each side. Anyone been up that far to drive it? The next time I'm in northern Wisconsin and have a free day, I might take a day trip up to StL County to see that bridge.

TheHighwayMan3561

I have. The road was realigned because the old alignment was located on a strip of land on lease to MnDOT from a mining company, who declined to renew the lease. The scenery from the bridge itself is disappointingly unscenic, but if you can find a place to get better vantages of it it should be neat.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

QuoteThe bridge looks beautiful, probably hundreds of feet above the water

Just over 200 feet above the lake.

usends

I just noticed the new alignment on Google Maps, and came here because I figured someone would have already started a thread about it.  It's interesting to note that's not actually a "lake", at least not in the same sense as Minnesota's other 10,000 natural lakes.  It's an inundated mine pit.  Given that, I wonder if the new alignment is also on leased land.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

froggie

Quote from: usendsIt's interesting to note that's not actually a "lake", at least not in the same sense as Minnesota's other 10,000 natural lakes.

In terms of being a "natural" lake or not, correct.  But it is a lake.  And worth noting that it's the primary source of drinking water for Virginia.

QuoteGiven that, I wonder if the new alignment is also on leased land.

As I understand it, yes and no.  The mine still owns the land the relocated 53 is on, but the State bought the mineral rights.

usends

Quote from: froggie on November 13, 2019, 11:18:38 PM
...worth noting that it's the primary source of drinking water for Virginia.
From what I can see, the mine was inundated only within the past 20 years or so.  What did they drink prior to that?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

vdeane

I'm not sure I'd want to drink water from an inundated mine pit!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

froggie

Quote from: usends on November 14, 2019, 09:25:17 AM
Quote from: froggie on November 13, 2019, 11:18:38 PM
...worth noting that it's the primary source of drinking water for Virginia.
From what I can see, the mine was inundated only within the past 20 years or so.  What did they drink prior to that?

Despite being a former mining pit, that lake is spring-fed.  As I understand it, the spring has been a source for the city for decades.

triplemultiplex

Well "spring fed" in the sense that it's a hole in the ground below the local water table.
The more correct term would be a "seepage lake" since it has a tiny watershed relative to its size and no perennial streams flowing in or out.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 04, 2019, 04:43:45 PM
The more correct term would be a "seepage lake"

Congratulations, you found a way to make it sound even more disgusting than drinking from an old mining pit. :-D

SteveG1988

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 04, 2019, 04:53:02 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 04, 2019, 04:43:45 PM
The more correct term would be a "seepage lake"

Congratulations, you found a way to make it sound even more disgusting than drinking from an old mining pit. :-D

It's where we sent all the olestra chips to
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.