News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 71 Ribbon Cutting

Started by US71, September 10, 2010, 02:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

http://www.modot.mo.gov/southwest/newsreleases/District7News.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=59909

Bates County - The Missouri Department of Transportation is hosting a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of four new interchanges on Route 71, which are part of the conversion to I-49. The ceremony is Friday, Sept. 17 at 1:30 p.m. at the new Route 52 East interchange near Butler.

The four completed interchanges are Routes 126, DD/EE and V/C in Barton County and Route 52 East in Bates County.

In order to finish converting Route 71 to I-49, the remaining at-grade intersections need to be eliminated by constructing interchanges, overpasses and outer roads as necessary. Following are the anticipated improvements (overall: seven interchanges, four overpasses, one set of outer roads):
Cass County -- Two overpasses and one interchange
Bates County -- One interchange and one set of outer roads
Vernon County -- Five interchanges and one overpass
Barton County -- One overpass

MoDOT plans to have Route 71 converted to I-49 by the end of 2012.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

Beat me to it................MO-52 got done quicker than it looked like back in April.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on September 10, 2010, 02:25:07 PM
MoDOT plans to have Route 71 converted to I-49 by the end of 2012.
Great news.  Now if MoDOT can scrounge up some more $$$ for BVB ....

froggie

QuoteGreat news.  Now if MoDOT can scrounge up some more $$$ for BVB ....

I don't think money is the issue there....

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on September 10, 2010, 04:44:32 PM
QuoteGreat news.  Now if MoDOT can scrounge up some more $$$ for BVB ....
I don't think money is the issue there....
MoDOT did reallocate $65 million of the $72 million previously set aside for BVB to the I-435 to I-44 intersection projects.  Of course, the big issue is the BIG WAIT for Arkansas.  All I meant was $65 million is still $65 million...especially since AR appears to be on a theoretical six-year track for their Super-2 part of BVB after first contract will be let in February.

route56

If anybody can tell me how the new exits are signed in the field, and which grade crossings have been nixed... I'd appreciate it.

(Time to update the US 71 exit guide)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: route56 on September 10, 2010, 06:06:04 PM
If anybody can tell me how the new exits are signed in the field, and which grade crossings have been nixed... I'd appreciate it.

(Time to update the US 71 exit guide)

MoDOT lists most of the grade crossings that were eliminated (go to the SW Regional page)

126 is posted Pittsburg/Golden City.

ShawnP

Traveled thru in July and didn't see any mileage markers/exit numbers yet. However most signs are to Interstate standards and quite easily updated.

US71

Quote from: ShawnP on September 10, 2010, 09:30:34 PM
Traveled thru in July and didn't see any mileage markers/exit numbers yet. However most signs are to Interstate standards and quite easily updated.

Nope, no exit numbers, just Interstate-standard signage (I'll miss the 126 "folding sign", though :( )

ShawnP

I'll trade a unique sign for 150 miles of new Interstate any day.

US71

Quote from: ShawnP on September 10, 2010, 10:08:12 PM

How about a folding sign (or, at least, a folding arrow)?

Explanation: the North Fork of the Spring River runs just to the west of the intersection on 126 and frequently floods, closing the roadway. So, when the road is closed, the arrow is (or WAS, now) changed. I never got to see the sign when it was changed, though.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on September 10, 2010, 10:16:12 PM
Quote from: ShawnP on September 10, 2010, 10:08:12 PM
How about a folding sign (or, at least, a folding arrow)?
You've got MY vote for "Roadgeek of the day"! ;-)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.