News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

NCDOT has posted a timeline for repairing the I-73 southbound bridge in Greensboro that was damaged by a tanker last December.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-22-i-73-bridge-repair-timeline.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Have posted new photos of I-74/Winston-Salem Northern Beltway construction forwarded to me by J. Austin Carter, including this from the completed US 158 bridge looking east (south):

on my I-74 Segment 4 page:http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

bob7374

I've added new photos taken of Broadridge Road interchange construction from US 74 East provided from timmer63:

to my I-74 Segment 17 page: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg17.html#photos

Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.

sprjus4

Quote from: bob7374 on April 28, 2019, 04:01:29 PM
I've added new photos taken of Broadridge Road interchange construction from US 74 East provided from timmer63:

to my I-74 Segment 17 page: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg17.html#photos

Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.
Here's a nice aerial shot of the interchange from February 2019 imagery on Google Earth.

The N. Creek Rd intersection south of this interchange is also being converted (hopefully temporarily before eventually terminated or grade separated over I-74 / US-74) into an RCUT. Also February 2019 imagery.

Also, the Hallsboro Rd interchange east of this location is well underway as of February 2019.

bob7374

Checking out NCDOT's new May 2019 to April 2020 Tentative Letting List, the dates for the 2 projects to build the I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass have been moved from October to December 2019.

LM117

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on October 01, 2018, 12:20:36 PM
NCDOT press release about upcoming public meeting to discuss the conversion of at-grade intersections of US 74/76 near Lake Waccamaw to an interchange and overpass. The release also includes one of the first official statements that this project is part of a plan to upgrade this section of US 74/76 to interstate standards for Future I-74:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-01-lake-waccamaw-interchange-at-US-74.aspx

Another public meeting is being held on May 30 to discuss the revised proposal for this project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-16-columbus-county-open-house.aspx

jcarte29

Quote from: LM117 on May 16, 2019, 09:50:45 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on October 01, 2018, 12:20:36 PM
NCDOT press release about upcoming public meeting to discuss the conversion of at-grade intersections of US 74/76 near Lake Waccamaw to an interchange and overpass. The release also includes one of the first official statements that this project is part of a plan to upgrade this section of US 74/76 to interstate standards for Future I-74:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-01-lake-waccamaw-interchange-at-US-74.aspx

Another public meeting is being held on May 30 to discuss the revised proposal for this project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-16-columbus-county-open-house.aspx

If anyone here is able to attend this tonight, would you post the materials for it? I'd like to see the drawings. TIA!
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-16-us-220-exit-richmond-county-signage.aspx

QuoteROCKINGHAM — Additional signs telling drivers to slow down as they exit onto U.S. 220 South in Richmond County are going up this week.

The N.C. Department of Transportation is installing eight signs that say all drivers on Interstate 73/74 headed toward the town of Rockingham must exit at mile marker 22 where they will continue onto U.S. 220 South. The transition from the interstate to U.S. 220 South includes a curve which has a 55 mph limit that is safe to use in normal weather conditions.

One of the new signs will caution people to slow down to 45 mph upon taking the curve.

The other signs include messages such as "All Traffic Exit"  and "Exit Only"  which will remind people they are leaving a limited-access interstate and will be traveling onto U.S. 220 which has a slower speed limit and direct side-road access that creates more congestion.

The department plans to extend the I-73/I-74 corridor from the exit to south of Rockingham. That project is scheduled to be awarded this coming October for construction.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on May 16, 2019, 12:37:52 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-16-us-220-exit-richmond-county-signage.aspx

QuoteROCKINGHAM – Additional signs telling drivers to slow down as they exit onto U.S. 220 South in Richmond County are going up this week.

The N.C. Department of Transportation is installing eight signs that say all drivers on Interstate 73/74 headed toward the town of Rockingham must exit at mile marker 22 where they will continue onto U.S. 220 South. The transition from the interstate to U.S. 220 South includes a curve which has a 55 mph limit that is safe to use in normal weather conditions.

One of the new signs will caution people to slow down to 45 mph upon taking the curve.

The other signs include messages such as “All Traffic Exit” and “Exit Only” which will remind people they are leaving a limited-access interstate and will be traveling onto U.S. 220 which has a slower speed limit and direct side-road access that creates more congestion.

The department plans to extend the I-73/I-74 corridor from the exit to south of Rockingham. That project is scheduled to be awarded this coming October for construction.
Not surprisingly, there seems to be a lack of communication between the public relations people and the Highway Division. The letting for the contract to build the rest of the I-73/I-74 Bypass around Rockingham was pushed back to December in April.

Also NCDOT is to hold an open house about their preliminary designs to upgrade US 74/76 in Columbus County to Interstate Standards:

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-14-peace-haven-ramp-opening.aspx

QuoteWINSTON-SALEM — Drivers are urged to be prepared as a new exit loop off U.S. 421 in Forsyth County opens under a temporary configuration.

N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews will open the new loop from U.S. 421 South onto Peace Haven Road at 10 p​.m. on Friday, June 14.

People who take the new exit loop need to pay extra attention because there will be a shortened exit lane with the temporary alignment, meaning drivers will have less time to make the decision to get in position to take the exit.

With the new loop opening, the contractor can begin construction along Peace Haven Road that will allow traffic to move onto the new bridge.

This work is part of a larger project to improve the interchange in preparation for construction of the future Winston-Salem Northern Beltway interchange with U.S. 421, just west of Peace Haven Road.

Also, since it hasn't been posted here yet (surprisingly), AASHTO approved NCDOT's request to designate the western half of the beltway as Future I-274.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v3-app_crowdc/assets/3/31/31119030d9a75754/Final_Report_to_CHS_USRN_Application_Results_Spring_2019.original.1558475352.pdf?1558475353

https://route.transportation.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2019/06/006_USRN-Applications-Spring-Meeting_-NC-VA_Part-4.pdf

kendancy66

Does any have any signing plans of Future I-274 that would be posted along current roads along the corridor?

bob7374

Quote from: kendancy66 on June 15, 2019, 12:06:32 AM
Does any have any signing plans of Future I-274 that would be posted along current roads along the corridor?
The current work at the Future US 52 and US 421 interchanges along with the work from US 311 to NC 65 for the Beltway are part of design-build contracts, therefore no sign plans were released publicly as part of the letting process. The RFP documents for the US 52 interchange contract did have a list of future sign location information which suggests what will be on the signs, which I have listed on my I-74 Segment 4 page. Here are excerpts:
Overhead Sign Installations, Items A — M, and the following locations, unless allowed otherwise elsewhere in this RFP:
- On US 52 southbound at the Westinghouse Road interchange — One full-span overhead sign assembly that accommodates the exit directional sign, and advance guide signs for the US 52, NC 65 and future I-274 interchanges
- At the NC 74 eastbound / US 52 southbound split — One full-span overhead sign assembly that accommodates the exit directional sign for US 52 / NC 65 and future I-274, and the pull through sign for NC 74
- On the US 52 southbound collector distributor - One full-span overhead sign assembly that accommodates the exit directional sign for NC 65, and the advance guide sign for future I-274
- At the NC 74 westbound / US 52 northbound split — One full-span overhead sign assembly that accommodates the exit directional sign for US 52 / NC 65 and future I-274, and the pull through sign for NC 74
- On US 52 northbound at the NC 65 interchange — One full-span overhead sign assembly that accommodates the exit directional sign for NC 65, pull through sign for US 52, and any lane drop signage, as necessary
- On US 52 northbound at the NC 74 interchange — One full-span overhead sign assembly
that accommodates the exit directional sign for NC 74 and future I-274, and the advance
guide sign for NC 65
- On US 52 northbound at the Hanes Mill Road interchange — One full-span overhead sign assembly that accommodates the exit directional sign for Hanes Mill Road, and the advance guide sign for NC 74 and future I-274.

Note that they refer to NC 74 implying the Beltway between Bus. 40 to US 52 will be completed before the section from former US 311 to Business 40 is finished and the entire Eastern half of the Beltway is re-signed as I-74.

Speaking of I-73/I-74, I have uploaded new photos taken by site contributor David Johnson to my I-73 Segments 1 to 4 pages. You can start at the northern end and head south at: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg1.html

tolbs17

For I-74 being down in the south, I honestly do not like where it's at. I like this plan better of how it converts I-73 to I-79 in the future (it's not showing in this picture) when it's complete, and then I-74 to I-42 and I-28!

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on June 19, 2019, 02:57:26 PM
For I-74 being down in the south, I honestly do not like where it's at. I like this plan better of how it converts I-73 to I-79 in the future (it's not showing in this picture) when it's complete, and then I-74 to I-42 and I-28!

Generally like your ideas though I would change a couple of things. Decommission the I-74 corridor all together and don't call it I-46. Make the segment between I-73 north of Asheboro and I-77 an I-x77 or I-x73, and the make the I-26 to Wilmington corridor -one- continuous designation. The I-73/I-74 overlap that presently exists would just become I-73.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 19, 2019, 03:47:09 PM

Generally like your ideas though I would change a couple of things. Decommission the I-74 corridor all together and don't call it I-46. Make the segment between I-73 north of Asheboro and I-77 an I-x77 or I-x73, and the make the I-26 to Wilmington corridor -one- continuous designation. The I-73/I-74 overlap that presently exists would just become I-73.

Yeah, I meant to say I-46, not I-42. I was thinking maybe the part between I-77 and I-73 would be a connector maybe I-477 or so. I-46 is kinda in a odd location. I got that link from a website.

rickmastfan67

Please try to keep the fictional re-numberings in the 'fictional' section of the forum.  Thanks. :wave:

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 20, 2019, 02:45:48 AM

Please try to keep the fictional re-numberings in the 'fictional' section of the forum.  Thanks. :wave:

Ok

bob7374

I have posted new photos on my I-73/I-74 in NC pages courtesy of J. Austin Carter, they include progress on constructing the interchange with the new US 64 Asheboro Bypass:

with more photos found at: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg8.html

and photos of signage along the newest section of I-73/I-74 in Richmond County:

with additional photos at: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html

The next segment of the Rockingham Bypass is still scheduled to be let in December with plans to be made available in 8 weeks earlier in October.

sprjus4

Quote from: bob7374 on June 20, 2019, 06:20:04 PM
and photos of signage along the newest section of I-73/I-74 in Richmond County:

with additional photos at: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html
What's the speed limit on that segment now that it's completed? Has it been bumped from 55 mph to 65 mph?

sprjus4

bob7374

NCDOT has awarded a contract to repave I-73/I-74 south of NC 24/27 to Candor in Montgomery County, and some additional miles in Richmond County: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-25-i-73-74-montgomery-richmond-resurfacing.aspx

Notice they do not mention that any work will widen the shoulders to interstate standards. Work which NCDOT promised the FHWA they would do when the routes were first signed in 1997.

sprjus4

Apparently this article was written in the future when I-74 was completed AND it was changed to run to Wilmington.

See the bolded sections in the article.

You Can Now Drive Faster on I-74 To Get To Wilmington
QuoteThe North Carolina Department of Transportation increased speed limits along a primary route from Winston-Salem to Wilmington to standardize interstate speeds.

GREENSBORO, N.C. – Speed limits along sections of U.S. Interstate 74 have increased from 60 mph to 65 mph. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) road crews changed speed limit signs yesterday along stretches from Randolph County to Forsyth County, officially enacting the change.

"The purpose is to match the speed limits with the other stretches of I-74, " said, Aaron Moody, NCDOT Public Information Officer.

The process of changing the posted speeds began with a request, Moody explained.

"Consistency is really the primary reason," Moody said, "It helps drivers when they have one less thing to think about. It made sense."

I-74 in the Piedmont Triad extends from Mount Airy through High Point down to Wilmington.

The speed increase is within the road's reasonable operating speed threshold, the NCDOT said. Roads are designed with posted speed limits safely below this threshold.

"We looked into the crash data and accident reports and saw no issues with increasing the speed by five miles per hour. " Moody said.

According to the NCHRP Report 504, typically, the posted speed limit is 85 percent less than the roads design speed.  This is why you may feel comfortable driving at speeds higher than the posted limit. The 5 mph increase along sections of I-74 represents a 7-percent increase.

Funny enough, when I punch a route in Google from Winston-Salem to Wilmington, it recommends I-40 which is 3 hours 40 minutes and 232 miles. It doesn't even list I-74/US-74 as an option, though when I do a custom route, it says that route is 3 hours 35 minutes and 234 miles. I'd be willing to bet most people going from the Piedmont Triad to Wilmington take I-40, not I-74 / US-74, mostly because I-40 is all interstate with 65-70 mph and I-74 / US-74 still has a lot of arterial stretches that are only 55 - 60 mph. Also, I-40 is continous from the Piedmont Triad to Wilmington, so logically - take I-40 all the way - makes more sense then - take I-74 to I-73 to US-74 - Though once the Rockingham Bypass is completed, and the rest of US-74 is upgraded to interstate standards, that'll probably be the better route for those using a GPS (which is most people).

RoadPelican

I-40 usually is the quickest way from the Piedmont Triad to Wilmington, but if you have to travel during peak AM and PM rush hours (6-9 AM or 4-7 PM) then taking I-74/US 74 would be quicker because of Raleigh/Durham traffic congestion.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 26, 2019, 02:21:03 PM
Apparently this article was written in the future when I-74 was completed AND it was changed to run to Wilmington.

See the bolded sections in the article.

You Can Now Drive Faster on I-74 To Get To Wilmington
QuoteThe North Carolina Department of Transportation increased speed limits along a primary route from Winston-Salem to Wilmington to standardize interstate speeds.

GREENSBORO, N.C. – Speed limits along sections of U.S. Interstate 74 have increased from 60 mph to 65 mph. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) road crews changed speed limit signs yesterday along stretches from Randolph County to Forsyth County, officially enacting the change.

"The purpose is to match the speed limits with the other stretches of I-74, " said, Aaron Moody, NCDOT Public Information Officer.

The process of changing the posted speeds began with a request, Moody explained.

"Consistency is really the primary reason," Moody said, "It helps drivers when they have one less thing to think about. It made sense."

I-74 in the Piedmont Triad extends from Mount Airy through High Point down to Wilmington.

The speed increase is within the road's reasonable operating speed threshold, the NCDOT said. Roads are designed with posted speed limits safely below this threshold.

"We looked into the crash data and accident reports and saw no issues with increasing the speed by five miles per hour. " Moody said.

According to the NCHRP Report 504, typically, the posted speed limit is 85 percent less than the roads design speed.  This is why you may feel comfortable driving at speeds higher than the posted limit. The 5 mph increase along sections of I-74 represents a 7-percent increase.

Funny enough, when I punch a route in Google from Winston-Salem to Wilmington, it recommends I-40 which is 3 hours 40 minutes and 232 miles. It doesn't even list I-74/US-74 as an option, though when I do a custom route, it says that route is 3 hours 35 minutes and 234 miles. I'd be willing to bet most people going from the Piedmont Triad to Wilmington take I-40, not I-74 / US-74, mostly because I-40 is all interstate with 65-70 mph and I-74 / US-74 still has a lot of arterial stretches that are only 55 - 60 mph. Also, I-40 is continous from the Piedmont Triad to Wilmington, so logically - take I-40 all the way - makes more sense then - take I-74 to I-73 to US-74 - Though once the Rockingham Bypass is completed, and the rest of US-74 is upgraded to interstate standards, that'll probably be the better route for those using a GPS (which is most people).

LM117

Quote from: RoadPelican on June 26, 2019, 04:40:47 PM
I-40 usually is the quickest way from the Piedmont Triad to Wilmington, but if you have to travel during peak AM and PM rush hours (6-9 AM or 4-7 PM) then taking I-74/US 74 would be quicker because of Raleigh/Durham traffic congestion.

Agreed, plus NCDOT just started the I-40 widening project between I-440 and NC-42, which makes taking I-74/US-74 even more attractive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.