News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

City streets that change names more than once

Started by golden eagle, March 03, 2012, 10:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

the English system sounds very much like Massachusetts.  this is not coincidental.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

US 60 in and around Williamsburg, VA changes names quite often.  It goes by Pocahontas Trail, Richmond Road, Bypass Road, Capitol Landing Road, Page Street, and York Street.  It is Pocahontas Trail three times and Richmond Road two times.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jemacedo9

in Rochester NY, Atlantic Ave starts in the city.  When it crosses Winton Rd it changes to Browncroft Blvd.  At NY 590 Browncroft Blvd picks up NY 286.  A few miles outside the city, it turns back into Atlantic Ave.

In Irondequoit NY, Durand Blvd crosses Culver Rd and turns into Sweet Fern Dr for all of maybe 300 feet, and then turns into Lakeshore Dr.

Takumi

US 60 in Virginia Beach: Shore Drive, Atlantic Avenue, Pacific Avenue, 17th Street, back to Atlantic to its end.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Quote from: Takumi on March 10, 2012, 07:54:51 PM
US 60 in Virginia Beach: Shore Drive, Atlantic Avenue, Pacific Avenue, 17th Street, back to Atlantic to its end.

I forgot about this one.  Being that it is all in Virginia Beach there is no change in jurisdiction either like in Williamsburg and Lightfoot.  Too bad they do not sign it along with US 58 near the oceanfront area.  Plus, from USends.com you see a photo taken on Pacific Avenue that shows an END US 60 assembly at the Rudee Inlet Bridge where US 60 is not there nor has never been.

Sheryl Crowe

achilles765

This is a common trend in two cities in which I have lived.  Baton Rouge, Louisiana has an obscene number of streets that do this.Near LSu Burband Drive begins and heads east.  It curves at Highland Road and becomes Siegen Lane, which is remains named until the junction with US 61/Airline Highway where it becomes Sherwood Forest Blvd for the remainder of its run to Greenwell Springs.  Similarly, College Drive changes into Lee Drive at Perkins, and into Brightside at Nicholson.  LA 73 is named Jefferson Highway until it turns west at a 90 degree angle to become Government Street.  And there are many more.
I used to think Baton Rouge was "notorious for this."  Then I moved back to Houston, where this happens even more.  Lockwood Drive becomes Elgin, which then becomes Westheimer, which splits after SH 6.  Near my neighborhood, Bingle Road when heading south turns into Voss at IH 10, then that becomes Hillcroft at Westheimer.  San Felipe becomes Briar Forest; Montrose Blvd splits and becomes both Heights Blvd and Studewood Street north of IH 10.  Before that, however, at Allen Parkway (which itself becomes Kirby Drive at Sheperd Drive, a road that splits into Greenbriar and Shepherd near US 59 and into Shepherd and Durham north of Memorial.. both times splitting into four lane one way couplets) Montrose Blvd becomes Studemont.  Usually streets change names at major freeway intersections here it seems.  
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

roadman65

In South Plainfield, NJ you have Durham Avenue, Hamilton Boulevard, Lakeview Avenue, Plainfield Avenue, Sampson Avenue, and Clinton Avenue all if you travel in a straight line from CR 501 northward.  Most places it changes names cause Hamilton Boulevard and Plainfield Avenue do alignment changes as well as Clinton Avenue from Sampson.  Lakeview Avenue is a realigned Hamilton Boulevard after a grade crossing was removed from the former Lehigh Valley Railroad in favor of a bridge where it was named that. Old Hamilton Boulevard is now two separate streets on both sides of the railroad. Lakeview Avenue deviates from what is now a dead end stub just south of the now Conrail Shared Assets and parallels it to the west until Plainfield Avenue.

Sheryl Crowe

JustDrive

The Bay Area has Produce Avenue in South San Francisco, Airport Boulevard, Bayshore Boulevard, Third Street, and Kearney Street, which dead-ends north of Broadway, but there's no access coming in from the south.

apjung

Erlanger Rd to Power Blvd to David Dr to Hickory Ave to Dickory Ave here in Jefferson Parish, Lousisiana
http://g.co/maps/5kp59

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on March 06, 2012, 10:55:51 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2012, 05:30:15 PMOne of the charms of Greater London (at least to me, and  I have not dared to drive there, so I have only gotten around on foot or by transit bus or the Tube) is that the street network is so very "confusing," since the urban area grew up (for the most part) without a master plan of some sort (compare and contrast with Washington, D.C., for example, which still manages to have some very confusing aspects of its street network).
I'm glad you put "confusing" in quotes - it's not confusing, just different from the planned grids in newer countries. On main roads outside the centre, it's easy 90% of the time. Hammersmith Road is the road to Hammersmith (unless you've just been there), High Street 'x' is the main road through 'x', and so on. The road names are about navigation, just a different sort to that of, say, Manhattan's grid.

Different is right.  Though I think a fair number of people do get confused (and that's a problem in most of the world, not just Britain).  And yes, road names that tell the user that this is the road to Hammersmith are useful, and somewhat common in the U.S. as well (one that immediately comes to my mind is the Rockville Pike (Md. 355), which predictably leads to Rockville, though the same road starts out as Wisconsin Avenue in the Georgetown area [speaking of "quaint" and "fashionable"] of Washington, D.C.).

QuoteI'll end by saying that the UK is not a museum, and while you didn't use that horrid word 'quaint', the word to use in this case is 'interesting'. I believe that was the sentiment you were expressing, though 'charms' being in bold text makes me worry.
I strongly agree with you - the UK is definitely not a museum (nor is the rest of the EU), and I don't much care for the word "quaint" either.

But the layout of the UK's (usually older) streets and highways in Metropolitan London, a fair number of which date back to Roman times, are fascinating (at least to me).

I can say the same about streets in the central (and old) areas of cities like Visby, Uppsala and Stockholm in Sweden; Tallinn, Estonia; and Ã...bo [Turku in Finnish], Finland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

CP, you mention Sweden and neighboring areas a lot - are you from there?

downtown Budapest is similar to this as well - laid out a very long time ago without revision.  I didn't have much trouble driving there, as for me the most "quaint" (and mildly frightening!) aspect of London traffic would be the reverse traffic flow.  I totally see myself fucking that up and driving on the side of the road that I'm used to.

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Speaking from seeing the opposite perspective, drive-on-left wouldn't be a problem in London. More a problem somewhere rural. If there's lots of other cars, you'll remember, but somewhere quiet and you'll find it easier to forget that you are meant to be on the 'wrong' side.

agentsteel53

Quote from: english si on March 20, 2012, 01:25:37 PM
Speaking from seeing the opposite perspective, drive-on-left wouldn't be a problem in London. More a problem somewhere rural. If there's lots of other cars, you'll remember, but somewhere quiet and you'll find it easier to forget that you are meant to be on the 'wrong' side.

I always imagine myself being baffled as to what lane I am to be in at a roundabout.  See: Magic Roundabout in Swindon.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Kacie Jane

vtk

Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 20, 2012, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: vtk on March 20, 2012, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: apjung on March 20, 2012, 07:58:21 AM
...Hickory Ave to Dickory Ave...
http://g.co/maps/5kp59

Shouldn't there be a Dock Ave around there somewhere?

http://g.co/maps/ky3w9

There you go.

Right under my nose, even.  My mobile maps app isn't that great at labeling every street, and it's short, so no surprise I missed it.

2Co5_14

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 06, 2012, 12:57:23 PM
the English system sounds very much like Massachusetts.  this is not coincidental.
Speaking of Massachusetts, within Boston city limits, you can end up driving an almost complete loop on the following 10 streets without having to make a turn: Old Colony Ave — Morrissey Blvd — Gallivan Blvd — Morton St — Arborway — Jamaicaway — Riverway — Fenway — Louis Prang St — Ruggles St.

(If you could cross town boundaries, I'm sure you could find a lot more than 10 name changes!)

mcdonaat

Crazy instance, but in Monroe, LA, there are actually different instances of the same street. Breard Street begins at the river and continues towards LA 3280. It then gets split in half, and continues to North 18th Street. From there, it hops across Washington Street at an angle to form an alley for a block then ends. It then picks up about two blocks later as a small two-block-long street, then stops at the railroad. It then picks up on the other side of the railroad as Breard Street, eventually becoming a state highway and ending close to ULM. Anyone else got an instance of that happening?

KEK Inc.

Any winding street in a number grid.  Clark County has several.  If there's a 90 degree turn on a road, it will change street number, unless there's a unique name for that road. 

San Jose Area:
Hillsdale Ave./Capital Expressway/Capitol Ave/Great Mall Parkway/Tasman Dr.
Landess Ave./Montague Expressway/San Tomas Expressway/Camden Ave.
Coleman Ave./Market St./Monterey Rd./Monterey Hwy
Almaden Ave./Almaden Expressway/McKean Rd./Uvas Rd.
Blossom Hill Rd./Silver Creek Valley Rd./Nieman Blvd.
13th St./Oakland Rd./Main St. (Milpitas)/Abel St./Jacklin Rd./Evans Rd./Piedmont Rd./White Rd./San Felipe Rd.
Bernal Ave./Silicon Valley Blvd./Piercy Rd.
Gold St./Lafayette St./Washington St./Bascom Ave./Los Gatos Blvd./Main St. (Los Gatos)
Pruneridge Ave./Hedding St./Berryessa Ave.
The Alameda/Santa Clara St./Alum Rock Ave.
Permanente Rd./Stevens Creek Blvd./San Carlos Ave.
Foothill Expressway/Foothill Blvd./Stevens Canyon Rd./Mt. Eden Rd.
Saratoga Sunnyvale Rd./De Anza Blvd./Sunnyvale Saratoga Rd.
Mathilda Ave./Caribbean Dr./Lawrence Expressway/Quito Rd.
Remington Ave./Fair Oaks Ave./Java Dr./Lockheed Martin Way
Winfield Rd./Cynoweth Ave. (technically, it's broken, since there's a huge undeveloped flaglot in the middle of the city...)/Roeder Rd.
Goodyear St./Keyes St./Story Rd.
Airport Pkwy./Brokaw Rd./Murphy Ave./Hostetter Rd.
Lewis St./De La Cruz Blvd./Trimble Rd.

Take the road less traveled.

vtk

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 27, 2012, 04:45:41 AM
Crazy instance, but in Monroe, LA, there are actually different instances of the same street. Breard Street begins at the river and continues towards LA 3280. It then gets split in half, and continues to North 18th Street. From there, it hops across Washington Street at an angle to form an alley for a block then ends. It then picks up about two blocks later as a small two-block-long street, then stops at the railroad. It then picks up on the other side of the railroad as Breard Street, eventually becoming a state highway and ending close to ULM. Anyone else got an instance of that happening?

In Columbus, Oakland Park Ave exists in three disjoint sections, roughly in line with one another.  And then there's Wall St and Pearl St (aka Pearl Alley), the alleys a half-block west and east of High St: each has a few legitimate gaps, as well as many jogs at side streets.

kphoger

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 27, 2012, 06:05:13 AM
Any winding street in a number grid.  Clark County has several.  If there's a 90 degree turn on a road, it will change street number, unless there's a unique name for that road. 

Yes, let's please not start this list.  It would be innumerable.  How many 17th Streets nationwide do you think we could come up with that have a gap?  A gojillion?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tidecat

Jeffersontown/Middletown/Douglass Hills/Louisville, KY:

Bluegrass Parkway becomes Tucker Station Road, which becomes South Pope Lick Road (not to be confused with North Pope Lick Road) - if you were driving on south on Tucker Station Road, you would have to turn several times to stay on Tucker Station, including a left by Papa John's corporate headquarters to not get on Bluegrass Parkway).  Tucker Station turns into Madison Avenue in Middletown just blocks from US 60 (Shelbyville Road).

North English Station Road turns into Urton Lane, which becomes North Pope Lick Road.  Ironcially, Urton/North Pope Lick misses becoming Ellingsworth lane by about 200 feet-that extension could be accomplished with tearing down 1 house at most (although a couple of others might not have much yard left).

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

bulkyorled

Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Occidental Tourist

Long streets in LA/OC:
Carson Street - Lincoln Ave - Nohl Ranch Road;
Imperial Hwy - Richard Nixon Parkway - Imperial Hwy - Cannon Street - Crawford Canyon Road;
Chapman Ave - Santiago Canyon Road - El Toro Road;
Leffingwell Road - La Habra Blvd - Central Ave - State College Blvd - The City Drive;
Lincoln Blvd - Sepulveda Blvd - Pacific Coast Hwy - Coast Hwy - Camino Las Rambles;
Camino Real - Sepulveda Blvd - Willow Street - Katella Ave - Villa Park Road - Santiago Canyon Road

LA/San Berdo:
Miles Ave - Soto Street - Huntington Drive - Foothill Blvd - Alosta Ave - Foothill Blvd - 5th Street - Greenspot Road - Florida Street - Garnet Ave;
Wilmington Blvd - Main Street - Valley Blvd - Holt Ave;

sp_redelectric

Oregon Highway 43 from Portland to Oregon City:

Macadam Boulevard from I-5 to Sellwood Bridge
S.W. Riverside Drive from Sellwood Bridge to Terwilliger Boulevard (crossing over the Portland/Lake Oswego city line)
N. State Street from Terwilliger Boulevard to A Avenue
S. State Street from A Avenue to McVey Avenue
Pacific Highway from McVey Avenue to Marylhurst University (Lake Oswego/West Linn City Line)
Willamette Drive from Marylhurst University to the Oregon City Bridge
7th Street from Oregon City Bridge to Main Street (end of route, 7th Street continues one more block south to the Oregon City Municipal Elevator and Union Pacific railroad track)

So, it has two different street names within Portland city limits, three different street names (in two quadrants) in Lake Oswego city limits, one street name in West Linn and one street name in Oregon City.  For a total distance of approximately 12 miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.