News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Two of the same business visible from one place

Started by lepidopteran, February 06, 2019, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2020, 08:32:22 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2020, 08:49:48 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 22, 2020, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 22, 2020, 05:33:29 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 22, 2020, 05:27:42 PM
There are two Kum & Gos just across the street from each other on the north side of Springfield.
Didn't they just close one of them?
That make one a Came & Went?
Well played!

(Fair warning: keep the humor up and I'm going to start expecting it.)
I had one MUCH less safe for the forum lined up, but opted for a PG comment.

Now I'm curious.. I can only imagine  :-D

ozarkman417

Quote from: webny99 on April 27, 2020, 10:58:22 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2020, 08:32:22 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2020, 08:49:48 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 22, 2020, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 22, 2020, 05:33:29 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 22, 2020, 05:27:42 PM
There are two Kum & Gos just across the street from each other on the north side of Springfield.
Didn't they just close one of them?
That make one a Came & Went?
Well played!

(Fair warning: keep the humor up and I'm going to start expecting it.)
I had one MUCH less safe for the forum lined up, but opted for a PG comment.

Now I'm curious.. I can only imagine  :-D
I'm 99% sure I know what it is.

ibthebigd

2 Pilots at the 129 exit on 75 in Kentucky

At one time there was 2 Kroger stores like a mile apart in Lexington Ky

Somewhere in Georgia they have 2 Waffle Houses at the same exit

SM-G950U

hotdogPi

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 28, 2020, 12:38:09 PM
Somewhere in Georgia they have 2 Waffle Houses at the same exit

There are a whole bunch of exits like that.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ibthebigd

Las Vegas you have several of everything

CVS
Walgreens
ABC Store
McDonalds

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg has several of the same hotel local restaurants ect

SM-G950U

Paulinator66

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 08, 2019, 07:36:25 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 08, 2019, 05:30:17 AM
I've seen two of the same gas station brand right across the street from each other. However I see this situation where each one is intended to serve one direction of traffic. I cannot understand why one would put two of the same restaurant (for example) right next to each other.

I could see if one chain took over the other and they kept both open for lease compliance reasons, maybe, so as not to eat the cost of an early termination penalty. Maybe.

A NE intersection of our town has something similar.  Two Circle K gas station diagonally across from each other.  I thought chain consolidation might have originally been the case but these have both been open for several years now.  This GSV image is grainy but it shows the issue.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8311536,-89.6057936,22a,35y,96.58h,79.05t/data=!3m1!1e3

andrepoiy

Here in Vaughan, Ontario, there are two Dollaramas (Dollar store) across the street from each other at Rutherford Road and Highway 400.

RobbieL2415

There's a Tmobile and a Sprint store in the same plaza near my house.

webny99

Can't remember if I've posted this here before...
There used to be 2 Sunoco's at the same intersection here, but one is now a Speedway.

Route66Fan

Spencer, IA has 2 Casey's General Stores almost across the highway from each other. One is an older style building & the other is a newer style building.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1302399,-95.1440192,3a,75y,157.75h,94.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXhxH0zYBObX3-17yEj3WLQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

lepidopteran

The shopping area near Annapolis, MD has two Home Depots about 0.6 miles apart as the crow flies (1.4 miles via road).  There probably isn't any ground location where you could spot both of them, though, due to trees and buildings.  They are also separated by US-50/301/John Hanson Hwy.

Bruce

Historic example from Downtown Seattle in the 1950s: two Bartell Drugs at the same intersection of 4th/Pike/Westlake.

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on June 13, 2020, 08:32:35 PM
Historic example from Downtown Seattle in the 1950s: two Bartell Drugs at the same intersection of 4th/Pike/Westlake.

And in 2020 four Starbucks at the same intersection haha.

andrepoiy

When there's several of a store at the same intersection, are they owned by one owner??? Because if they were multiple franchisees then they must have a rivalry...

D-Dey65

Quote from: amroad17 on May 01, 2019, 01:19:25 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2019, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on February 14, 2019, 03:52:44 PM
In the town of Pendleton, KY (not to be confused with Pendleton County which is 50 miles east) on SR 153, there are two Pilot truck stops, one on each side of Interstate 71 exit 28.

Didn't one of them used to be something else? Maybe a Flying J that was rebranded as a Pilot?

That's the first chance-last chance for non-RFG on I-71, so prices typically run lower than in Oldham or Jefferson counties, so it gets a lot of business.
The two Pilot's at Exit 28 in Pendleton used to be two other companies.  First, the original Pilot at the interchange was at the now adult bookstore.  The Pilot across from that used to be a Speedway.  The Pilot across I-71 used to be a Williams.  Pilot bought out Williams and rebranded those as Pilots.  The same situation occurred in Franklin, KY whereas the Pilot on the south side of KY 100 was a Speedway and the Pilot on the north side of KY 100 was a Williams.

Just thought of another one--two Pilots at I-75's Exit 129 in Georgetown, KY.  One east and one west of the interchange.  The one east was an original Pilot, the one west used to be a Speedway (one can see the comparisons between the one here and the one in Pendleton, KY).

As of a few years ago, Pilot and Flying J have merged as one company with two brands.  Also, the same occurred for TA and Petro.

There are currently two Pilot truck stops in Wildwood, Florida. The one on the east side of I-75 used to be a Gate.

Google Maps has two Pilot Truck Stops at Exit 1 on I-95 in St. Mary's, Georgia. The one on the west side used to be a Hess/Wilco Travel Center, and from what I can see, the one on the east side seems to be closing.

EpicRoadways

I can think of two in my area:

Two Holiday gas stations directly across the road from one another (note the Holiday sign in the foreground and the sign for the other Holiday station on the far left). They've both been there since at least 2008, per the Streetviews.

Caribou Coffee and Caribou Coffee (one of them is inside of a grocery store, but it has signage on the exterior of the building so I think it counts as being "visible" from the location across the street)

MCRoads

This is an interesting one, and it may be pushing it, but I think it is interesting: I don't remember where, but there was a stretch of road in JS with 2 towns, about 3-4 miles apart.you could see the tallest structures in the towns from each other (or, you could see one from the other, didn't go both directions on that road, but I think it's safe to assume...). One was possibly on a US highway, the other was on an interstate or a limited access road. Anyway, there was 2 Loves travel stops, one was a local one, and the one by the interstate was the big truck stop kind. They both had the big gas station-type signs about 100 feet high. You could (barely) make out one loves from another. I wonder how often that type of thing occurs?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Two towns in Kansas that are only 3-4 miles apart, that aren't just suburbs of a city?  I kind of doubt it.   :no:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 12:51:29 PM
Two towns in Kansas that are only 3-4 miles apart, that aren't just suburbs of a city?  I kind of doubt it.   :no:

At least for me, distances are hard to judge in flat, rural areas. You think something's right there, and it's actually several miles away.
So with that said, it could definitely be more than 3-4 miles, but even so, I'm not seeing two Love's that close together.

Holcomb and Garden City both have a Loves, and the latter is near an interchange (although not an interstate).

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 02, 2021, 01:01:02 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 12:51:29 PM

At least for me, distances are hard to judge in flat, rural areas. You think something's right there, and it's actually several miles away.
So with that said, it could definitely be more than 3-4 miles, but even so, I'm not seeing two Love's that close together.

Holcomb and Garden City both have a Loves, and the latter is near an interchange (although not an interstate).

Holcomb has one near the interchange as well: the one in town isn't the only location.

It's a possibility.
Male pronouns, please.

Avalanchez71

Murfreesboro, TN has a Waffle House on either side of I-24.  You can see both.

jeffandnicole

This one's a bit of an unusual one:  Someone opened up a used car lot at a former gas station on 130 in Brooklawn, NJ.  Then, he opened up a 2nd location across the street at another former gas station, with the same exact name!

https://goo.gl/maps/RDJiMk1E3KYuZDck6

Dirt Roads

Pardon me for repeating this, but it wasn't in this thread and only eluded to in the Mattress Firm thread.

Originally, there were two Mattress Firm stores close to each along US-15/501 between Durham and Chapel Hill (one beside McDonald's across from South Square and the other in New Hope Commons north side shoppes).  During the redevelopment of the Witherspoon Rose properties (across from north New Hope Commons), a new competitor put up signs while the building was still under construction.  It think this was Sleep America.  Mattress Firm grabbed the space next door and both stores opened up about the same time.  A few months later, the competitor closes and a Mattress Firm Clearance store opens in its place.  This was all about the time that Mattress Firm purchased all of Sleep America.  Anyhow, for a while there were three Mattress Firm stores all visible to each other (two of them side-by-side).

I've never taken a close look, but I think they've knocked down the wall in between and now occupy both storefronts.  After bankruptcy, Mattress Firm closed the store across from South Square and I think the one in New Hope Commons has closed also (sometimes it still pops up on Ducky).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.