News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 11 Bridges - West of Harrisburg

Started by Roadsguy, October 22, 2012, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

http://goo.gl/maps/qfkRq

These bridges are odd. US 11/15 starts as a two-lane, center turning lane road, and then widens to four, and divides over these expressway-ish bridges, then narrows back down again. It's as if these were built for the apparently proposed West Shore Expressway.

Anyone know any more about this than I do?

Also, anyone know how to link to a point on Bing? I can't figure out how to do it.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SteveG1988

It looks like the two spans are different ages, the paraphets on one side gives it away.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

PAHighways

The West Shore Expressway would have been further to the west, basically in a line from the US 11/US 15 split with the Harvey Taylor Bridge approach north to I-81.

Roadsguy

Oh, I see now. The bridges just looked too... disconnected-piece-of-expressway-y.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sbeaver44

I have in my possession (until I return it to the Library today) the 1970 East Pennsboro Township plan which includes a map of the proposed expressway:

West Shore Expressway_Page_3 by WestPA31, on Flickr

Wow would this have been interesting if built.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PAHighways on November 08, 2012, 07:05:57 PM
The West Shore Expressway would have been further to the west, basically in a line from the US 11/US 15 split with the Harvey Taylor Bridge approach north to I-81.

Long segments of U.S. 11/U.S. 15 between Duncannon and Shamokin Dam were once (in the 1960's, the first time I rode it) a three lane highway, with the middle lane alternating between northbound and southbound traffic.  That configuration led to a lot of head-on wrecks.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Speaking of Shamokin Dam, does anyone here know where this (apparently) uncompleted section of limited access highway between Selinsgrove and Shamokin Dam was supposed to go?

What was it planned to connect with?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

Roadsguy

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 14, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

Got the rest of that plan? Would it have connected straight to I-83?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: BrianP on May 14, 2013, 02:24:21 PM
It will connect to PA 147 north of there.
http://csvt.com/

Thanks.

That incomplete interchange has been there a long time, and have always wondered if it would remain that way.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 15, 2013, 07:59:07 AM

Got the rest of that plan? Would it have connected straight to I-83?
That's my guess too. Never noticed the wide median in I-81 before.

kylebnjmnross

I have in my possession (until I return it to the Library today) the 1970 East Pennsboro Township plan which includes a map of the proposed expressway:

West Shore Expressway_Page_3 by WestPA31, on Flickr

Wow would this have been interesting if built.

I do wonder what the interchange with I-83 would've looked like. Would they have redesigned it somehow?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.