News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-78

Started by bluecountry, April 16, 2023, 06:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Why does I-78 in Jersey City have traffic lights?
Is it because the route was supposed to continue to Brooklyn?
Since it is not going to go any further east, why not end it at the traffic lights?

Rothman

Quote from: bluecountry on April 16, 2023, 06:00:17 PM
Since it is not going to go any further east, why not end it at the traffic lights?
Why not?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Rothman on April 16, 2023, 06:07:24 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on April 16, 2023, 06:00:17 PM
Why not?
What's the alternative? Technically this at-grade section is part of NJ 139, so the bureaucratically correct signage is TO I-78/NJ 139. But the current situation isn't confusing anyone.

Alps

90% Federal funding.

roadman65

In theory yes. In fact they could copy SC and call the rest of I-78 with stoplights BS I-78 like I-20 in Florence. I believe the 90 percent would still be available.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 17, 2023, 03:47:53 AM
In theory yes. In fact they could copy SC and call the rest of I-78 with stoplights BS I-78 like I-20 in Florence. I believe the 90 percent would still be available.
In NY, BL 81 will not be 90% eligible, per FHWA.  Not sure if that's nationwide or just local division policy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the NJTP's improvements supposed to address the traffic signals on I-78?

The Ghostbuster

I'm not sure if there was ever a plan to connect the New Jersey Turnpike-Newark Extension and the Holland Tunnel with a freeway or tollway. Maybe they would have done something about it if 78 through New York City was completed as originally proposed, but since it wasn't, it will likely stay in its current configuration for all eternity.

Alps

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 17, 2023, 10:27:57 AM
Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of the NJTP's improvements supposed to address the traffic signals on I-78?
the signals are in port authority jurisdiction...

bluecountry

So IF the LOMEX was built, would JC have had the signals removed?
Since the LOMEX was not built, yes, it should say TO I-78.

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on June 11, 2023, 10:48:23 AM
So IF the LOMEX was built, would JC have had the signals removed?
Since the LOMEX was not built, yes, it should say TO I-78.
no it shouldn't, since it's an exception to the rule

The Ghostbuster

I doubt the signals in Jersey City will ever be removed. Even if the Lower Manhattan Expressway had been built, I don't know if there would have been a freeway/tollway upgrade to 12th and 14th St, as I know of no proposals that would have connected the New Jersey Turnpike-Newark Extension with the Holland Tunnel (even the third tube that would been built to connect with the unbuilt LOMEX).

Rothman

Yeah, removing those signals is never happening.

"Say, bro, spare a billion to deal with a situation we've tolerated for decades?"

Have to say dealing with the transit tunnels is much more important.

Alps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 11, 2023, 07:45:28 PM
I doubt the signals in Jersey City will ever be removed. Even if the Lower Manhattan Expressway had been built, I don't know if there would have been a freeway/tollway upgrade to 12th and 14th St, as I know of no proposals that would have connected the New Jersey Turnpike-Newark Extension with the Holland Tunnel (even the third tube that would been built to connect with the unbuilt LOMEX).
It was a nonzero consideration but never even made it to conceptual design. If the NJ 85 freeway had advanced, this might have gotten fleshed out a bit more. I myself consider a scheme that puts two elevated lanes down the middle (left lane of I-78 and right lane of NJ 139) and keeps what's on the surface now. It all gets high-speed tolling, then local traffic merges back in near the tunnel and that's that. Same in the WB direction.

Crown Victoria

This thread was started specifically about the signals in Jersey City, but why not use it generally for all of I-78...

Anyways, the message boards on I-78 this morning indicated that next weekend, there will be major delays on I-78 due to roadwork between PA 737 and the Lehigh County line. Presumably, this means that the new westbound lanes in that area will open up and traffic will be shifted to its final configuration, or something very close to it. I would also presume that the section between PA 143 and PA 737 will follow the next weekend...

Ted$8roadFan

I-78 in PA is white knuckle driving. I know it's on an older alignment, but the traffic levels and outdated design make it worth avoiding IMO.

Alps

Quote from: Crown Victoria on August 06, 2023, 12:12:03 PM
This thread was started specifically about the signals in Jersey City, but why not use it generally for all of I-78...

Anyways, the message boards on I-78 this morning indicated that next weekend, there will be major delays on I-78 due to roadwork between PA 737 and the Lehigh County line. Presumably, this means that the new westbound lanes in that area will open up and traffic will be shifted to its final configuration, or something very close to it. I would also presume that the section between PA 143 and PA 737 will follow the next weekend...
I offer to those in the forum this is an excellent chance to explore old US 22.

roadman65

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 06, 2023, 12:17:56 PM
I-78 in PA is white knuckle driving. I know it’s on an older alignment, but the traffic levels and outdated design make it worth avoiding IMO.

Most of it was an expressway grade of preexisting US 22. That’s why so substandard.

Ditto for I-83 as that was built to be the modern alignment of then US 111. It, like I-78, has older outdated sections as well and there are other examples outside of PA in addition where a freeway was built as a new alignment for another preexisting route that later got incorporated into the interstate system.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

I remember driving US 22 through Easton and into NJ before I-78 was completed.  It was miserable and got stuck in one of the worst traffic jams I've ever experienced.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2023, 12:21:45 PM
I remember driving US 22 through Easton and into NJ before I-78 was completed.  It was miserable and got stuck in one of the worst traffic jams I've ever experienced.

I remember all the construction projects that the Lehigh Valley Thruway had. Road narrowed to one lane each way to jackhammer the old road and rebuild a new concrete pavement, to later go asphalt as in the eighties concrete seemed to get phased out in the Northeast for whatever reason at the time. Back ups would be frequent into the squeeze at each project.

There was always one section of that highway being rebuilt. Never a moment of free flowing four lanes. I can't tell you how many times the deck on the Lehigh River bridge in Whitehall was replaced in the last fifty years.

Sheryl Crowe

Crown Victoria

Took a ride through the eastern Berks work zone this morning. Between Krumsville and the Lehigh County line, westbound traffic is in its permanent pattern, with the climbing lane open as well. Eastbound traffic is still shifted to accommodate installation of Jersey barriers in the median, which looked to me like that will be completed within the next few days.

Nothing yet for the section between Lenhartsville and Krumsville. I would imagine this part will shift after Labor Day.

As for the stretch between the Berks/Lehigh line and the 22 split, I sure hope PennDOT can get around to that soon...checking on PennDOT's site, it looks like reconstruction there won't start for 10 more years! This section was rehabilitated just a few years ago and is becoming quite rough again. Not to mention the need for truck climbing lanes westbound... Hopefully the gradual ending of State Police funding coming from our fuel taxes will provide the funds to accelerate this project.

roadman65

Wonder if PennDOT will raise the speed limit there when done. If I'm not mistaken it's been 55 all along due to the substandard freeway conditions.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on August 20, 2023, 04:32:12 PM
Wonder if PennDOT will raise the speed limit there when done. If I'm not mistaken it's been 55 all along due to the substandard freeway conditions.
I don't recall much if the way of 55 zones on I-78 west of Allentown when I was there earlier this year outside of work zones, so maybe.  It was quite the contrast from 2016 where there was a really long and annoying 55 zone there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I heard rumors it changed , but wasn't sure. I believe the 70 mph made PennDOT do other changes as well. All except I-70 east of Breezewood that is still 55 and I-84 which is still 65 in the rural Poconos that is.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on August 20, 2023, 04:53:01 PM
I heard rumors it changed , but wasn't sure. I believe the 70 mph made PennDOT do other changes as well. All except I-70 east of Breezewood that is still 55 and I-84 which is still 65 in the rural Poconos that is.
I-70 is still 55 west of the Turnpike as well.  I-81 and I-83 remain 65 too, as does an annoying chunk of I-80.  No changes for I-90 around Erie (or I-86), either, even though the limit increases to 70 at the Ohio line.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.