News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NYC Congestion Pricing

Started by RoadRage2023, September 21, 2023, 08:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on December 13, 2023, 10:38:45 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on December 13, 2023, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 13, 2023, 06:08:46 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 13, 2023, 08:48:29 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2023, 09:08:13 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 12, 2023, 12:47:13 AM
Makes me wonder if hotel prices north of 60th will go up...or if those below 60th will go down.

Hotel prices vary widely in NYC to begin with. Sunday nights especially - Hilton and Marriott branded hotels can be had for about $100 plus taxes on occasion.

For the most part, people staying at hotels aren't driving and parking, so it probably won't factor in too much. Not much different than the parking surcharge most garages charge if one had an SUV.
Frankly, if you're staying in Manhattan, don't drive to get there.
Right because who'd want to take a one seat ride to their destination in the privacy and comfort of a private car. Pft...

The one-seat private ride is certainly what I'd prefer, if I knew I had a convenient and available parking space at my destination, and if it were faster than the alternatives.

I've driven into Manhattan multiple times.  However, I always find a place to park the car, and rely on either transit or my feet to get around once parked.  It's not worth the hassle to use my own car to get around Manhattan.
Yep, that's what I'm talking about.  Sure, on the island you hoof it.  But there's no beating the convenience of not having to commute from some godforsaken place like Secaucus.

Staying in a hotel one time, I located a garage nearby where I reserved a space for $35 a day for 3 days.  2 people on a NJ Transit train costs about $64, plus $10 per 24 hours in parking fees, plus the subway would run me about $11 to and from Penn Station and the Hotel.  The direct drive in cost me the $12 in tolls, $105 in parking, and a few bucks more on the NJ Turnpike.  The drive in was only about $15 more when it came down to it, much less hassle with the luggage, no time constraints making sure I made it to the train stations on time, plus I could drive a bit around Manhattan to, well, experience driving around Manhattan.

1995hoo

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on December 13, 2023, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 11, 2023, 09:27:18 PM
^^^^

Sure you can. You just have to get the agencies to cooperate and then program the electronics to keep track of it. The Dulles Greenway in Virginia is privately owned and operated. Traffic going straight through from VDOT's Dulles Toll Road onto the Dulles Greenway pays an extra toll compared to people entering the Greenway from I-366 VA-28. The extra amount represents the cost of "exiting" the Dulles Toll Road. But it's all collected at the Greenway toll plaza in a single transaction to avoid having two toll plazas back-to-back in quick succession. It's surely feasible to connect the tunnel toll and the congestion charge if the agencies cooperate. I have no idea, however, what sort of programming is involved or what it would cost to set it up.

There is no way this would happen, because it would be open to political meddling from NJ through the Port Authority.

My point was simply that it is possible because it has been done, not that it would be feasible or realistic in any particular proposed implementation. Note that the post to which I was responding said you can't collect tolls for two agencies at a single collection point. I was offering an example of a location where they do exactly that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

RobbieL2415

Makes me wonder if hotel prices north of 60th will go up...or if those below 60th will go down.

Hotel prices vary widely in NYC to begin with. Sunday nights especially - Hilton and Marriott branded hotels can be had for about $100 plus taxes on occasion.

For the most part, people staying at hotels aren't driving and parking, so it probably won't factor in too much. Not much different than the parking surcharge most garages charge if one had an SUV.
Right because who'd want to take a one seat ride to their destination in the privacy and comfort of a private car. Pft...
Then that's on you, if you want to subject yourself to that. The way I see it, it doesn't make sense in the majority of cases.

For example, my girlfriend lives in Newark. It is much less of a hassle for me to pick up a southbound Northeast Regional from Hartford than dealing with traffic no matter which inbound route I choose. Granted, there is a time and place for driving to a destination, but if I can help it, I will travel by train if I'm going anywhere in the Tri-State.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 14, 2023, 08:24:57 AM

Then that's on you, if you want to subject yourself to that. The way I see it, it doesn't make sense in the majority of cases.

For example, my girlfriend lives in Newark. It is much less of a hassle for me to pick up a southbound Northeast Regional from Hartford than dealing with traffic no matter which inbound route I choose. Granted, there is a time and place for driving to a destination, but if I can help it, I will travel by train if I'm going anywhere in the Tri-State.
I take it she has a car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on December 14, 2023, 11:02:54 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 14, 2023, 08:24:57 AM

I take it she has a car.
No. Doesn't even have a license. She arrived via a Hudson Line train. However, because I had already driven all the way down there, and to save her some money, I drove her home to Newark. That is one exception to my trains-only rule, since I was going to a destination from which traveling by rail would be less practical. Most other times, however, she rides the train back.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2023, 11:30:12 PM

The one-seat private ride is certainly what I'd prefer, if I knew I had a convenient and available parking space at my destination, and if it were faster than the alternatives.

I've driven into Manhattan multiple times.  However, I always find a place to park the car, and rely on either transit or my feet to get around once parked.  It's not worth the hassle to use my own car to get around Manhattan.
Yep, that's what I'm talking about.  Sure, on the island you hoof it.  But there's no beating the convenience of not having to commute from some godforsaken place like Secaucus.

Staying in a hotel one time, I located a garage nearby where I reserved a space for $35 a day for 3 days.  2 people on a NJ Transit train costs about $64, plus $10 per 24 hours in parking fees, plus the subway would run me about $11 to and from Penn Station and the Hotel.  The direct drive in cost me the $12 in tolls, $105 in parking, and a few bucks more on the NJ Turnpike.  The drive in was only about $15 more when it came down to it, much less hassle with the luggage, no time constraints making sure I made it to the train stations on time, plus I could drive a bit around Manhattan to, well, experience driving around Manhattan.
but how much did it cost in fuel and wear & tear? It costs me roughly $20 to drive into the city before adding in tolls or any other charges. Train and bus are cheaper overall. If I'm driving into NYC, it's either continuing to Long Island or coming back from somewhere east.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 14, 2023, 05:20:41 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2023, 11:30:12 PM

but how much did it cost in fuel and wear & tear? It costs me roughly $20 to drive into the city before adding in tolls or any other charges. Train and bus are cheaper overall. If I'm driving into NYC, it's either continuing to Long Island or coming back from somewhere east.

It's irrelevant or inconsequential. 

Normally, I would go to the Metropark Train Station to take the train to NYC.  Using that as my base:

A) It's cheaper not to travel at all and just stay home, saving all sorts of costs.
B) I could walk 15 minutes to the bus stop, take the bus to the NJ Transit River Line to Trenton to the NJ Transit Train to NYC, not incurring any car costs.
C) I could drive to a nearby Riverline stop, taking the Riverline to Trenton to the Train to NYC.
D) I could drive to the Hamilton Train Station to take the Train to NYC.

Based on my normal travel option, driving into NYC may cost me an additional 1.5 to 2.5 gallons of fuel and 60 miles of travel, on top of the costs already being incurred which is at minimum 3 - 4 times that.  But as I mentioned - also to drive in different areas, on different roads, and maybe clinching different routes.  No doubt many people got to drive in the city in their younger days, and don't have the desire to do it now.  I didn't have that opportunity then, so I'm doing it now.

Rothman

When I lived in the Albany area, figuring out how to get into NYC the "best way" was a frustrating experience.  Looked at Amtrak, driving down to Metro North, driving down to NJ...done them all.

Driving straight in and parking at my hotel was more convenient than any other option.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

When we stayed in NYC last time, we took the train in as we normally do.  The only frustrating experience was leaving - we happened to make it just in time for a departing train, allowing us to avoid a 30+ minute wait for the next one.  But I hadn't purchased tickets yet, and the NJ Transit app was giving me fits especially in the tunnel leaving.  The conductor was understanding and came around again after the Newark Penn Station stop, which had given us the time needed to finally purchase the tickets online.

LilianaUwU

Related:

MTA wants to charge NYC Marathon for shutting down Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/nyc-marathon-congestion-pricing-new-york-road-runners/

QuoteNEW YORK -- The MTA is hungry for money, according to angry runners and some local leaders. They're growing outraged over the transit authority wanting to charge extra fees for the TCS New York City Marathon.

The marathon is one of J. Solle's favorite annual events, and now they're getting ready to run their third. But something new, a possibly surcharge my lesd to a pricey race.

"Everyone wants to be part of the celebration of the New York City Marathon and we should do what we can to increase that and not make it more restrictive," Solle said.

The MTA now wants to charge New York Road Runners, which puts on the world-famous marathon, $750,000 per year, claiming that's how much it loses in toll revenue when the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge is closed to cars for the race. The MTA said in a statement, "Taxpayers cannot be expected to subsidize a wealthy non-government organization."

Race officials say that could mean an increase to entry fees. Right now, non-members pay $315 and members, $255.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Plutonic Panda

LilianaUwU

I dunno where I stand on this personally. On one hand, the marathon is holding up traffic, but on the other hand, this is the MTA going mask off and admitting they're greedy.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ARMOURERERIC

So, how much would this cost be per participant?

kalvado

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 04, 2024, 08:47:10 AMSo, how much would this cost be per participant?
Extra $15 on top of $200 or 300 they already pay.

SignBridge

I think MTA is right. I hate these marathons because of their unreasonable disruption to traffic. Does the NYC government think that no one has to go anywhere or get to or from work on a Sunday morning? Think of all the police, fire , EMS, hospital, public works employees, etc. who have to fight their way around road closings and detours just to get to work or get home from an overnight shift.

I know; I used to be one of them on Long Island and had to deal with the Nassau County Marathon. So let MTA charge them for the lost toll revenue. That's the price the marathoners pay for inconveniencing the rest of us. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on April 04, 2024, 04:47:12 PMI think MTA is right. I hate these marathons because of their unreasonable disruption to traffic. Does the NYC government think that no one has to go anywhere or get to or from work on a Sunday morning? Think of all the police, fire , EMS, hospital, public works employees, etc. who have to fight their way around road closings and detours just to get to work or get home from an overnight shift.

I know; I used to be one of them on Long Island and had to deal with the Nassau County Marathon. So let MTA charge them for the lost toll revenue. That's the price the marathoners pay for inconveniencing the rest of us. 

The marathon is a year-round planning effort.  In the June, 2023 Board Minutes of the MTA (TBTA), Pages 5 - 8 of https://new.mta.info/document/113966 , the MTA describes the process used in planning the 5 boro bike tour.  At the end, on page 8, it mentions that the process described is similar to the marathon. It also mentioned that the labor utilized in its planning and day-of event is reimbursed.  The MTA is well aware of its finances and builds any planned closure into their overall budgets.  It's not like they're shocked the marathon occurs.  Even something like having a February 29th equates to an additional 1 day's revenue for the entire year.

It's also interesting to note that in this story: https://nypost.com/2024/04/03/us-news/mta-made-more-from-nyc-marathon-than-it-lost-in-bridge-tolls/ , the increase in subway usage more than offset the income lost from travelers not using the bridge.

As far as traffic disruptions go:  Many of the workers you reference commute to and from work via the subway.  Many are also part of the planning process.  There are many weekend closures of subway lines, along with occasional road or bridge closures for routine work.  This is basically the same; just on a larger scale.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.